Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

can I file a lawsuit against headstart??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Last year around this time my two younger kids were in headstart. My youngest who was three at the time is a diabetic. I had to sit through every breakfast and lunch with him at headstart to check is blood sugar and give him insulin because they legally could not. After a simple doc appointment we switch to giving him his shots in his legs and butt area because the doc said his arms needed to heal. (the arms were the only spot our son would allow a shot on a daily basis) headstart new we changed where we were giving him his shots. Right after we changed that I was contacted in person at the headstart building by cps. They said there allegations that the bruises on my son's arms were from physical abuse. The case was closed right away because it was clear the bruises were caused by insulin shots. After the meeting the teacher of my kids class would not talk to me, make eye contact, stayed clear of me, and avoided me at all cost. I knew someone from that building called cps on me and I know they knew those bruises were from the shots and not us physically harming our child. I know it has been a year but could I have done something about the false claim in a legal sense to headstart/teacher for this?

ETA: I dont want to do anything about it now. I was just curious if there was something I could have done about it when it happened. That is all.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Replies (41-50):
angie729
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM

No nothing could have been done.

Grumpylilpixy
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:56 PM

You are a better safe then sorry case.... 

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:56 PM
You may have had a case :-( seems discriminatory. If she knew she should have known. Or she could have asked him.

Quoting Anonymous:

Every staff member knew he was diabetic.

Quoting OneToughMami:

If you would have done it then you could have sued but you're too far passed the time frame. Did she not know he was diabetic? I know they recommend to not give the shots in the arm because of brusing and I know from an interview Bret michaels had some serious issues when track marks developed an ER doctor treated him for a heroin od instead of a diabetic issue :-/

Quoting Anonymous:

Didnt think I could. I am not going to do anything about it now. I was just curious if I could have done something about it a year ago.

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

You can pretty much sue everyone here in the US. I don´t think it is very reasonable to do that more than a year later. Why didn´t you do something right away? 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CutieCrab
by Jen on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Apparently. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

As she said, she was curious. Is it illegal to be curious now?

Quoting notjstasocermom:

if she is not planning on it why is she even bother asking.

Quoting Anonymous:

She clearly stated she wanted to know if she could have, no reason to be so bitchy. The entire country isn't as money hungry as your comment makes it sound.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Quoting asmalltowngirl:

Why would you file a lawsuit?

cause she needs money now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:57 PM
I agree with this. She was a teacher and not a medical professional.

I dated a guy that got shots in his arm every day - he never bruised... I would have called, too.

Quoting Sarahb21:

Let it go. Why sue over something so stupid? Maybe she didn't think that getting shots that often could actually cause bruising and she was worried about your son. Be happy they actually gave a shit instead of letting it go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Yep. He has been a diabetic since June 7 2009 and I have had them called on me 4 times. All related to him being a diabetic. The first one was an ex friend tried to convince them that I gave my son diabetes because I supposedly had munchhousens (sp?)

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Sorry that isn't SHIT you can do this can and most likely will be thrown out of court. They have a right to cal CPS on anyone they are concerned about. So with that said you just got in the cycle of you have a special needed  child and the system will get called on you. Thats the bottom line. I got through it all the time.

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I doubt it because teachers are mandated reporters. It's their job to report suspected abuse.

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:00 PM
They knew of his medical problem though.

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

You are a better safe then sorry case.... 

CutieCrab
by Jen on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM
I feel bad for your child, getting shots a few times everyday... And he was in headstart, so he was about 4? :-(
I imagine when he first needed it, that must have been scary. NOT trying to be rude.
BEXi
by BEXi on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Let it GO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)