Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Angel gifts = dollar store

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My friends dd got gifts from the Angel Tree and it was pathetic dollar store crap. These kids are probably not going to have more presents for the rest of the year. Buying them some crap toy from the dollar store to make yourself feel good sucks. If you can't buy a decent toy, don't do Angel Tree.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM
Replies (101-108):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it is sad that there are so many ungrateful beggars out there. Wah wah, I want free stuff, but not that free stuff.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's sad. =(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 23 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Ungrateful much?

boldrumble
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:52 PM
We did that this year as well.

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting Nicoleb9:

I'm gonna be honest. This sort of shocks me in a way. I know it's Cafemom so the source isn't surprising, but what is surprising is that someone who can't even provide a dollar store gift for their own child is going to scoff at it when a stranger does it for them. I know if I were hungry and homeless, I wouldn't scoff at something off the dollar menu at some fast food chain. I understand that children hope for certain toys and such, but the ungrateful attitudes shown here are crazy. If we could send most of the people who are living now back in time a few decades, they'd never survive.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

If you can't afford to provide for your kids then the world owes you. Duh.

A gift only counts if its worth $50 or more.

Quoting Nicoleb9:

You do realize this post is feeding into the entitlement mentality stereotype, right?

Agree 100%!! Beggars can't be choosers. 2 weeks ago, we packed up a shoebox of gifts for Operation Christmas Child full of things that would probably get thrown in the trash by the entitled wenches on here (socks, football, cars). I'm soooooooo glad we chose to go that route this year. I'm sure there are plenty of kids in the world who would be thrilled to death to get Dollar Tree crap.

I'm sure the person who spent their hard earned money on those "crap" gifts is so pleased that their gifts are being bashed on the internet.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Famousglm714
by Gina on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM
I agree.

Quoting Anonymous:

Where are that they've already passed out donations.

Honestly? The parents should be the ones feeling awful for not being able to get their own kids a Christmas..instead of being a twit about someone else not getting "good enough" gifts.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ultra_
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Did y'all talk about this while drinking Starbucks and getting your hair did so y'all could go shopping and then out to eat? *eyeroll*

eztwins
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM

This was how i was raised too and I am raising my children the same way.  I swear it was so ingrained in me that I could have opened a box of shit and would have gushed over it and say how pretty my plants will be this spring with the fresh fertilizer I received. 

My children are exceedingly fortunate.  They have never known what it is to want (thanks to very generous grandparents and living in a well off home) but they know that they are not entitled to any of this.  They know that due to the generousity of their family they have all of this and know that many do not have as much or anything.  They know that their most fortunate gift is having a loving  family, food and a comfortable home and that all the rest is just gravy. 

As to dollar store toys.  Well yes their can be crap there. But i have found that kids love crap.  My basement looks like the american girl store but one of her favorite toys is a cash register she got at the dollar store.  My son and daughter played for days and had great joy with a 1.00 bow and arrow set.  The bow and arrow was an absolute piece of junk, barely worked but they had a fantastic time figuring out the trick to make it work and hours of laughs together. 

I hope that responses like the op do not discourage people from helping where they can and within their means.  If everyone started questioning their choice to donate these programs would help a lot less kids and their parents would bitch then that they got nothing.  The kids are happy and the parents will bitch either way.  I rather make a kid happy.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Yeah. Traditional family values are lost. When I was a kid, if I voiced my displeasure over a gift I would have a sore butt and a sad holiday. We smiled and said thank you and gave big hugs and then mom took a picture of us with the item later that week so we could develop the film and write thank you letters to everyone. Yes, I wrote thank you letters for oversized cat sweatshirts and I wore it every time I saw my aunt because I appreciated that she THOUGHT OF ME even if I was less than thrilled about the gift.

As an adult, when my dad had first remarried, my step-mom kept getting me and my step-brother's wife confused. She accidentally gave me the other woman's gift and when I opened it I showed SO much enthusiasm, as I was raised to, that she was in tears with guilt when she took it from me to give to the proper person. I smiled and reassured her that I was happy with my intended gift and that I was sure step-brother's wife would really enjoy the other gift. LOL.

My kids have those old fashion ideals. We show excitement, give hugs, use what we are given, write thank you letters, and are grateful for EVERYTHING anyone gives us. It means a lot to me and my kids that someone thinks of us. It means a lot to us that someone would bake us something or make us something or buy us something. Yes, even dollar store toys.

Quoting Nicoleb9:

I'm gonna be honest. This sort of shocks me in a way. I know it's Cafemom so the source isn't surprising, but what is surprising is that someone who can't even provide a dollar store gift for their own child is going to scoff at it when a stranger does it for them. I know if I were hungry and homeless, I wouldn't scoff at something off the dollar menu at some fast food chain. I understand that children hope for certain toys and such, but the ungrateful attitudes shown here are crazy. If we could send most of the people who are living now back in time a few decades, they'd never survive.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

If you can't afford to provide for your kids then the world owes you. Duh.

A gift only counts if its worth $50 or more.

Quoting Nicoleb9:

You do realize this post is feeding into the entitlement mentality stereotype, right?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:43 PM

It's hardly "generosity" if you put nothing into it. Dollar store crap is cheap because it is cheaply made. I would be embarrassed to give a child a "gift" like that. And please do explain, exactly what makes that child a "beggar" because they're in unfortuante circumstances that are beyond their control?!

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, it is sad that there are so many ungrateful beggars out there. Wah wah, I want free stuff, but not that free stuff.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's sad. =(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Dec. 21, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN