Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Publicizing the names of those who receive PA

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

DH and I were watching a documentary about The Dust Bowl last night and one of the people interviewed said that the names of everyone on aid were published in the newspaper every week.  I had never heard that before and wondered what it would be like if we still did that.  Those people were literally starving and struggling like people couldn't imagine and were mortified to have to use the government to feed their families.  It was a source of embarrassment to admit you couldn't take care of your children on your own even though you were going through a natural disaster of mammoth proportions.  What changed?  Now if you can't do enough or don't want to you just walk down to DHS and get all the help you need.  You're patted on the back in many areas for receiving PA.  It just seems people had a lot more pride and drive back then.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Replies (11-20):
DixieL
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Ugh god! This again. NOT EVERYONE ON FOODSTAMPS ARE MOOTCHERS!

I think it's great that you are learning now. I would never bash you for spelling wrong.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Why dont we publish the names of the fat people who use handicapped stickers? They should be ashamed!!

Not serious btw. This is so annoying. PA posts.

KGreen75
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM

People did have more pride and drive back then.  I would be 100% OK with publishing the names of everyone who is on PA.  Most cities publish the names of dead beat dads who can't afford to pay child support and who get behind.

TugBoatMama
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM
2 moms liked this

I never got a pat on the back for getting PA. I don't recieve it anymore but I didn't find anything great or fun about standing in long lines all day and constantly having to prove that I am who I say I am and that I am a citizen. It was a headache and I was happy to get off of it.

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM
2 moms liked this
Look. I am sick of the assertion that those on PA are lazy moochers. am not on PA anymore but when we were we worked and just needed a bit of help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emilytrademark
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not sure what good shaming people would do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:44 PM
I'd rather get off FS & starve to death then see my name in the paper. Not everyone takes pride in being on PA.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:45 PM
There are many, myself included whom are beyond mortified to need assistance. We struggled for so long & my husband is finally the one who decided enough was enough. (After a weeks worth of meals consisting of pb&j, hot dogs, mac & cheese, and ramen) My children ate now well fed & eating much healthier. I still panic when I go to the grocery store because of the stigma attached, because of what people will think. My family would go back to eating crap before I'd allow my name to be printed on such a list.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't be embarrassed if they did. We recieved PA. So what?

We need it. We use our food stamps very carefully. We have nothing to hide.

It's not like we collect it when
We don't need it, then go out blow it on junk. It's not like we make useless doctors appointments just because "oh Medicaid will pay for it."

Not everyone abuses the system.

And I'm sick of people acting like they do. Some people really need help
and are very grateful for it.

And since other people abuse the system, the people that don't abuse get punished and treated poorly because of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I cant wait to eat TURKEY!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)