Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Publicizing the names of those who receive PA

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

DH and I were watching a documentary about The Dust Bowl last night and one of the people interviewed said that the names of everyone on aid were published in the newspaper every week.  I had never heard that before and wondered what it would be like if we still did that.  Those people were literally starving and struggling like people couldn't imagine and were mortified to have to use the government to feed their families.  It was a source of embarrassment to admit you couldn't take care of your children on your own even though you were going through a natural disaster of mammoth proportions.  What changed?  Now if you can't do enough or don't want to you just walk down to DHS and get all the help you need.  You're patted on the back in many areas for receiving PA.  It just seems people had a lot more pride and drive back then.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Replies (31-40):
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:56 PM
It would shame those who are on it that are only on it for a few months due to lay offs and other hardships. And those abusing the system would not be deterred at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Ugh, good God did I say everyone on FS were moochers?  It was something I found interesting and it made me think of what its like today.  I love how all of you whine about another PA post but you don't miss a second jumping in.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Ugh god! This again. NOT EVERYONE ON FOODSTAMPS ARE MOOTCHERS!

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:01 PM
This is a terrible idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kid_Cat_Mom2005
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Meh...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll whine when I see fit ;]

You think people are actually patted on the back for being poor? Do you live in the real "materialistic" world? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Ugh, good God did I say everyone on FS were moochers?  It was something I found interesting and it made me think of what its like today.  I love how all of you whine about another PA post but you don't miss a second jumping in.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Ugh god! This again. NOT EVERYONE ON FOODSTAMPS ARE MOOTCHERS!

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I would still be ashamed to use welfare if I had to, it's the ultimate in failure to me to not be able to take care of my kids.

angeleyes16
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I never heard of anyone getting patted on the back for getting Welfare. And that's a horrible idea!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting TugBoatMama:

I never got a pat on the back for getting PA. I don't recieve it anymore but I didn't find anything great or fun about standing in long lines all day and constantly having to prove that I am who I say I am and that I am a citizen. It was a headache and I was happy to get off of it.

I love your reply for 2 reasons. It shows a good example of how assistance should be used. Temporarily and not for life. Also though, a lot of morons think illegals are receiving food stamps when in reality. Proof of legal status is a requirement.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:06 PM
Seriously. Omg. We just got on fs and are terribly embarresed, but id rather have the embarrassment them not feed my family. Df is laid off as soon add he can get work we well be off it, two months top. Not everyone abuses the system. Mist people use it for what its for. Help when your desperate.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM

rgfQuoting Anonymous:

Oh ffs! Why is everyone so fuckin obsessed with PA, get a fuckin life instead of worrying about what everyone else is doing.

Oh FFS its not an obsession.  I was watching a show last night and thought it was interesting because I never knew they did that back then.  I posted to see what others thought OMG the horror.  Wanting opinions in the most opinionated group on CM.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)