Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Publicizing the names of those who receive PA

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

DH and I were watching a documentary about The Dust Bowl last night and one of the people interviewed said that the names of everyone on aid were published in the newspaper every week.  I had never heard that before and wondered what it would be like if we still did that.  Those people were literally starving and struggling like people couldn't imagine and were mortified to have to use the government to feed their families.  It was a source of embarrassment to admit you couldn't take care of your children on your own even though you were going through a natural disaster of mammoth proportions.  What changed?  Now if you can't do enough or don't want to you just walk down to DHS and get all the help you need.  You're patted on the back in many areas for receiving PA.  It just seems people had a lot more pride and drive back then.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM
No that's a terrible idea. However drug testing then is a grat one!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

My DH works his ass off to provide for our family and we are on PA..Even when he was working two jobs we had to have it..We haven't always been on it and will not always be on it,but right now it is needed..Not everyone on PA is lazy and feel that they are entitled..Just saying..

Bellarose0212
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Yep, everything and everyone was better in the good ole days and everything and everyone know are lazy, entitled, brats.

eye roll.

What would publishing that information accomplish? Except maybe some crimes against those families for people who really get riled up about it.

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I think welfare is out of control. But I doubt making it public would do a thing. I know none of my friends are on PA and I:m sure the people on PA know if their friends are on PA.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this
My husband works full-time, I'm looking for work, we receive PA, I'm glad we're receiving help, though honestly, we're ashamed of it, or at least I am. I've been looking for a job for over a year now, I should have a job, I've put in so much effort, we should be better off financially, we're not. Every time either of us swipe the card, I cry, we shouldn't have to do this.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Do you also work your ass off to provide for your family?  

Quoting Anonymous:

My DH works his ass off to provide for our family and we are on PA..Even when he was working two jobs we had to have it..We haven't always been on it and will not always be on it,but right now it is needed..Not everyone on PA is lazy and feel that they are entitled..Just saying..

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

They dont even put all sex offenders on a list publicly.

My ex (daughters dad) is a tier 1 sex offender for sex with a minor (Read: PEDOPHILE, and it was me btw) and hes not on any list that is public.

Tier 1 is considered the lowest level of re offense risk (i disagree with him being that tier but whatever)and thus they do not post them publicly, nor are they publicly searchable.

Like on a sex offender website map thing, he will NOT pop up.

He does have to register, but it is NOT public.

That should freak people out more, not all sex offenders are known to the public.

Quoting Anonymous:

Smh, yet again let's punish the less fortunate and treat them like criminals.

Let's publish them like we do sex offenders

Ugh BEING POOR IS NOT A FUCKING CRIME!!

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this
You know, back then it was also ok for a man to hit his wife. It was called family correction and if it happened, nobody would interevene. Child abuse was ignored because people believed that what happened behind closed doors belonged there. Those days were not so golden and I would not wish to return to those days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Yes I was wondering how long it would take for someone to go to the extreme and ask if everything permissible back then should still occur today. It was a simple question and observation. All I was wondering was what changed, why did it almost kill the majority of people to admit they couldn't feed their children and today a fair number of people think nothing of applying for benefits. Or think one parent working is acceptable and doing all you can. Those people literally resorted to the point of starving and selling everything they owned before running to the government. Of course no one believes abuse should still be legal but I don't think it would hurt anyone to see PA go back to being the absolute last resort and taking care of your family on your own being a source of pride.

Quoting celestegood:

You know, back then it was also ok for a man to hit his wife. It was called family correction and if it happened, nobody would interevene. Child abuse was ignored because people believed that what happened behind closed doors belonged there. Those days were not so golden and I would not wish to return to those days.

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM
I think you are reaching. Bottom lne is that if the government did this, a lot of people would suffer negative repercussions as a direct result of this. And those who are on it using it correctly might not get help and those kids in those homes may have to eat raman or other junk or not eat at all. Those you want to shame by doing this will not care if you publish their names.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)