Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So apperantly I've been totally wrong for a while...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So people are complaining about kids receiving "cheap dollar store junk" for Christmas from Angel Tree
and other donations.

This was my response:

I buy simple little things like that. We don't have a lot of money and are stretched pretty thin, so we don't spend a lot on presents any way. But we have fun traditions to make up for it and the kids
Are always happy.

And
Even though we aren't doing great financially, I know there are other people who are worse off
And still want to help them. So I'll pick up little
Present for them.

We did the shoebox gift program this year and filled up 2 show boxes, one for a baby one for a toddler,
Wrapped it, labeled
It and donated it.

The baby one had a few diapers,
A rattle, keys, teething circle, a little teddy, a paicifer, some bibs, a couple little shirts, socks, rubber duck, and some sacking cups. And A&D ointment. (all from the dollar tree except for the diapers which came from DDs diapers.)

The toddler box had a coloring book, crayons, a sticker book, some of that drawing foam spray to use in the rub, bubbles, a Jump rope, a pair of gloves and a matching hat, a doodle pad, a few types
Of candy, and a pop up book.

Last year we did a program with a church and recieved a letter from
The little girl who for our gift, she was 5 and was very happy with the baby doll set we got her AT THE DOLLAR TREE.

I wasn't aware we had been doing anything wrong.

So I don't get it. If the kids are happy with their gifts, and people want to help and donate what they can, why bitch?

We were broke when I was little.
I would have been ecstatic to receive ANY kind of toy.

A lot of people
Want to help people who are less fortunate, and as a mother I don't want to see a child go without Christmas present. But not everyone can afford to donate fabulous and expensive presents. Sorry if my "cheap dollar store junk" isn't good
Enough to meet your standards, but get over it and be happy your child got some Christmas presents.

End Rant.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:31 PM
Replies (11-20):
mybabybugssmile
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:39 PM

you rock

Luv2BaMommy9809
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:42 PM

You are awesome...that's all I got to say about this...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:43 PM
I know the kids are happy. They use write letters back to us. (which I
Think is SO sweet and a keep all the letters)

Quoting Anonymous:

Its not the kids, they are happy. Its the bitchy ass parents who think they are entitled to this great gift for their kids. Keep doing what you are doing, your are right. A present is a present, regardless of price.

LovingSAHMommy
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Well said, and good for you for doing what you can! Most people don't help at all. My mother was very poor as a child, and I assure you, she would have been THRILLED to get one of those shoe boxes. I also commented on that post, mine being, "they always ask me if I want to donate a toy, and I always say yes. I didn't realize I was doing something wrong.". 

I really can't believe that people will bitch bc they don't feel that someone is donating good enough gifts.

PerfectVirgo
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:45 PM
Eff them. Stuck up snots.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:46 PM
I know. Some people told us that diapers and ointment were a dumb gift. But its for a BABY that won't remember the Christmas. The baby will love the toys and the diapers will be very useful.

Quoting LovingSAHMommy:

Well said, and good for you for doing what you can! Most people don't help at all. My mother was very poor as a child, and I assure you, she would have been THRILLED to get one of those shoe boxes. I also commented on that post, mine being, "they always ask me if I want to donate a toy, and I always say yes. I didn't realize I was doing something wrong.". 

I really can't believe that people will bitch bc they don't feel that someone is donating good enough gifts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:46 PM
.....thank you.?

Quoting Luv2BaMommy9809:

You are awesome...that's all I got to say about this...

autiemama516
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I just have one question. Were these gifts for kids in the USA or another country? We did a shoebox gift thing at church a while ago and they went to another country.

QJsmommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:47 PM
I love the dollar tree for everything lol. But this year is going to be a 5below one for me that store has nice things though..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
junebaby11
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Thats what i say i was a child with absolutely nothing dollar store wouldve made me happy =) dont listen to the materislistic bitches your doing great donating youll make some kid happy

Quoting LucyHarper:

The women who complain have no idea what it's like to be a child who has nothing. Every little thing matters. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured