Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So apperantly I've been totally wrong for a while...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So people are complaining about kids receiving "cheap dollar store junk" for Christmas from Angel Tree
and other donations.

This was my response:

I buy simple little things like that. We don't have a lot of money and are stretched pretty thin, so we don't spend a lot on presents any way. But we have fun traditions to make up for it and the kids
Are always happy.

And
Even though we aren't doing great financially, I know there are other people who are worse off
And still want to help them. So I'll pick up little
Present for them.

We did the shoebox gift program this year and filled up 2 show boxes, one for a baby one for a toddler,
Wrapped it, labeled
It and donated it.

The baby one had a few diapers,
A rattle, keys, teething circle, a little teddy, a paicifer, some bibs, a couple little shirts, socks, rubber duck, and some sacking cups. And A&D ointment. (all from the dollar tree except for the diapers which came from DDs diapers.)

The toddler box had a coloring book, crayons, a sticker book, some of that drawing foam spray to use in the rub, bubbles, a Jump rope, a pair of gloves and a matching hat, a doodle pad, a few types
Of candy, and a pop up book.

Last year we did a program with a church and recieved a letter from
The little girl who for our gift, she was 5 and was very happy with the baby doll set we got her AT THE DOLLAR TREE.

I wasn't aware we had been doing anything wrong.

So I don't get it. If the kids are happy with their gifts, and people want to help and donate what they can, why bitch?

We were broke when I was little.
I would have been ecstatic to receive ANY kind of toy.

A lot of people
Want to help people who are less fortunate, and as a mother I don't want to see a child go without Christmas present. But not everyone can afford to donate fabulous and expensive presents. Sorry if my "cheap dollar store junk" isn't good
Enough to meet your standards, but get over it and be happy your child got some Christmas presents.

End Rant.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:31 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:54 PM
There are perfectly acceptable toys for Older kids at dollar stores.

$15 chemistry sets
Magc sets
Baby dolls,
Toy cars,
Books for those who like to read,
Sketch pads and art kits.
Remote control cars are $15.
Puzzle books,
Those gun things that shoot those dart things,
Board games
And lots of other things.

And DH and I ways get our presents for each other at the dollar store
Or we make them.

Quoting brittany208:

Those sound perfectly acceptable. Especially for little, little ones. But getting dollar store toys for older kids (like over 5 maybe)--is mean. DS got a paddle ball from DT--it literally did not even make it home before it broke. He was super happy to get it, then I had to chuck it right away.

No, they dont need Wiis--but not cheap-o crap thats going to break right away. thats like if your DH bought your gift from the gas station, you'd be like "gee. thanks..."

TurtleSquish
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Let them complain. One year we adopted a single mom who had an 18 month old who loved everything spiderman. I spent probably 300 dollars on the kid. My mom and dad bought his mom new clothes, things for her home, shoes and games to play with her kid. We were well off at the time....I was 17 and seriously didn't need my paychecks so I spent them on the baby. We got to drop everything off on christmas eve. When we walked into her apartment she had nothing. A couch, an old tv and vcr, a table. She told us she had left her abusive husband and has been trying to get back on her feet. When we unloaded the car she was in tears. Little boy was running around playing with everything (we had wrapped most of it but he was picking the boxes up lol)

THAT was a family in need. I'm sure she would've had the same gratitude if we had only been bable to afford dollar store stuff. Good on you lady. Tis the season
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM
You know, a lot of
Girls love those little dress up kids.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

No. Some dollar TREES (i dunno about other stores) get in really nice stuff. Some get cheap shit from china that is lead laced garbage.

If its quality, non toxic stuff, I dont care.

If you are giving someone a melted bag of plastic soldiers and a lead laced dress up tiara and wand, then no, please refrain from donating at all.

CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Well you know....whenever my son gets an invite to a Birthday party...we hit the dollar store.....in my experience kids want to open many things....and have more fun opening 3-4 presents rather than just one, its just more exciting. And I shit you not, the things my son has picked out for his friends have always been the favourite thing they got....as long as the child is happy, thats all that matters :)

And if families are poor enough to need the angel tree then I highly doubt theyre going to be picky about what they get.

rayray123082
by New Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM
I see nothing wrong with gettin gpresents at the dollar stores. Children do not know the difference, unless parents point it out. Kids are happy with gifts, period.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM
Op said dollar tree, everything is a dollar. Gets harder at that point.

Quoting Anonymous:

$15 chemistry sets

Magc sets

Baby dolls,

Toy cars,

Puzzle books,

Board games

Or we make them.

Quoting brittany208:

Those sound perfectly acceptable. Especially for little, little ones. But getting dollar store toys for older kids (like over 5 maybe)--is mean. DS got a paddle ball from DT--it literally did not even make it home before it broke. He was super happy to get it, then I had to chuck it right away.

No, they dont need Wiis--but not cheap-o crap thats going to break right away. thats like if your DH bought your gift from the gas station, you'd be like "gee. thanks..."

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Not everything in our tree is a dollar. We have a large one.

Quoting Anonymous:

Op said dollar tree, everything is a dollar. Gets harder at that point.

Quoting Anonymous:

$15 chemistry sets

Magc sets

Baby dolls,

Toy cars,

Puzzle books,

Board games

Or we make them.

Quoting brittany208:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM

The only complaint I have is that maybe the dollar store toys arent that safe. They are made in china and loaded with toxic chemicals.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you're being an awesome person and setting a great example for your kids. While I wouldn't complain if I were in need and my kiddos received a dollar store Christmas I wouldn't give a needy kid one. My thought on that is that they live a dollar store life and for one day in the year I would want them to to have something really nice! Something that for one day they were getting something they would never otherwise have. Just MY opinion on this!
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Im assuming you mean dress up kits or dolls or something.

I mean if they are genuinely LACED with lead, then no. If my 1 year old can splinter the item and swallow its shards within 5 minutes of opening the toy.. no thank you.

Otherwise I really dont have anything to say, a donation is a donation. If it is not dangerous, be thankful you got ANYTHING.

Quoting Anonymous:

You know, a lot of
Girls love those little dress up kids.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

No. Some dollar TREES (i dunno about other stores) get in really nice stuff. Some get cheap shit from china that is lead laced garbage.

If its quality, non toxic stuff, I dont care.

If you are giving someone a melted bag of plastic soldiers and a lead laced dress up tiara and wand, then no, please refrain from donating at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)