Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So apperantly I've been totally wrong for a while...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So people are complaining about kids receiving "cheap dollar store junk" for Christmas from Angel Tree
and other donations.

This was my response:

I buy simple little things like that. We don't have a lot of money and are stretched pretty thin, so we don't spend a lot on presents any way. But we have fun traditions to make up for it and the kids
Are always happy.

And
Even though we aren't doing great financially, I know there are other people who are worse off
And still want to help them. So I'll pick up little
Present for them.

We did the shoebox gift program this year and filled up 2 show boxes, one for a baby one for a toddler,
Wrapped it, labeled
It and donated it.

The baby one had a few diapers,
A rattle, keys, teething circle, a little teddy, a paicifer, some bibs, a couple little shirts, socks, rubber duck, and some sacking cups. And A&D ointment. (all from the dollar tree except for the diapers which came from DDs diapers.)

The toddler box had a coloring book, crayons, a sticker book, some of that drawing foam spray to use in the rub, bubbles, a Jump rope, a pair of gloves and a matching hat, a doodle pad, a few types
Of candy, and a pop up book.

Last year we did a program with a church and recieved a letter from
The little girl who for our gift, she was 5 and was very happy with the baby doll set we got her AT THE DOLLAR TREE.

I wasn't aware we had been doing anything wrong.

So I don't get it. If the kids are happy with their gifts, and people want to help and donate what they can, why bitch?

We were broke when I was little.
I would have been ecstatic to receive ANY kind of toy.

A lot of people
Want to help people who are less fortunate, and as a mother I don't want to see a child go without Christmas present. But not everyone can afford to donate fabulous and expensive presents. Sorry if my "cheap dollar store junk" isn't good
Enough to meet your standards, but get over it and be happy your child got some Christmas presents.

End Rant.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:31 PM
Replies (41-50):
chattycassie
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I give my kids a little bit of mney each and let them go to the dollar store to shop for friends and sibblings. We are stretched already w/o having to buy for everyone. Most kids don't complain, besides my mom taught me beggers cant be chosers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Always go anon.  The few times I went under my SN someone found something to be a bitch about... even something as trivial as my avi...

Quoting jbirdsladie27:

Then why go anon? Just curious lol

Quoting Anonymous:

My kids are shopping for their siblings at Dollar Tree.  I have no shame.

YzmaRocks
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM
I agree with you. Besides, the kids don't care, just the parents.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
matheson7
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Then they should buy it.
TatiaRose
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Girl,you're totally fine...not doing anything wrong at all!

beachbeauty
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Dollar Tree toys are hit or miss.  I would never buy another family a toy that is going to break when they play with it once.  If you plan ahead you can get art supplies when school supplies go on sale (like .25 crayola crayons) and you can get decent toys for around $5 each.  I was shopping with my 15yo son the other day and I commented on Monster High dolls, I said "I think these are popular now, but they're kind of expensive."  He said "What, those kids aren't good enough to get nice toys?"  It's not the kids' fault that their parents for whatever reason need help, they deserve to have nice things too.  Just like with my kids, it still has to be within reason, I can't afford to buy a bunch of video game systems or anything, but I can afford to buy some nice dolls, art kits, board games, Legos, etc.  I set a budget, watch for sales and do the best I can to get the most for my money.

jbirdsladie27
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM
That's CM for ya

Quoting Anonymous:

Always go anon.  The few times I went under my SN someone found something to be a bitch about... even something as trivial as my avi...

Quoting jbirdsladie27:

Then why go anon? Just curious lol

Quoting Anonymous:

My kids are shopping for their siblings at Dollar Tree.  I have no shame.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

if it is a dollar tree it all has to be a dollar. We have a huge one and everything is a dollar.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Our dollar tree has a dollar section, a bother section where
Things are up to like $20.

And then a food section with freezers.

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting Anonymous:

if it is a dollar tree it all has to be a dollar. We have a huge one and everything is a dollar.

brittany208
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Yeah, you're thinking dollar general, I was thinking dollar tree (where nothing is over $1). Dollar general is fine. but dollar tree--their toys are garbage.

Quoting Anonymous:

There are perfectly acceptable toys for Older kids at dollar stores.

$15 chemistry sets
Magc sets
Baby dolls,
Toy cars,
Books for those who like to read,
Sketch pads and art kits.
Remote control cars are $15.
Puzzle books,
Those gun things that shoot those dart things,
Board games
And lots of other things.

And DH and I ways get our presents for each other at the dollar store
Or we make them.

Quoting brittany208:

Those sound perfectly acceptable. Especially for little, little ones. But getting dollar store toys for older kids (like over 5 maybe)--is mean. DS got a paddle ball from DT--it literally did not even make it home before it broke. He was super happy to get it, then I had to chuck it right away.

No, they dont need Wiis--but not cheap-o crap thats going to break right away. thats like if your DH bought your gift from the gas station, you'd be like "gee. thanks..."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)