Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

we are this years "adopt a family" and my sd is pissed!!! *edit eta*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

i just found out today that my sons guidance councilor put our names in for the towns adopt a family thing. i myself am greatful for it. i seriously thought my kids wernt going to have xmas this year. we hit a really hard spot and between what we are backed up on and my kids needs and the damn price of oil im not going to have anything left to shop with. well not very much anyway. well now my sd is pissed because she doesnt want to be the towns charity case. i tried to explain it to her but shes not cracking. not sure how to handle it with her. the young ones dont know and wont know but shes older and she heard me on the phone. ugh!! i tried to explain to her that after everything is paid that leaves about $100 for xmas to cover 5 kids. thats not exactly alot and it definatly doesnt go far but shes still pissed. idk what to do now. i dont want her to be pissed at me but at the same time i dont want them to have a shitty xmas either.

***** for those asking, she is 15

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:03 PM

shes 15

Quoting Dimples04:

How old is she??? I'd let her know if she can't be thankful then you can donate ger gifts to a grateful child.

Quoting Unoriginal.:

She can not get anything for Christmas then.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:03 PM
This. She's a kid and embarrassed. She'll get over it. If not, who cares. Let her be.

Quoting Anonymous:

She's embarassed. It's anonymous, though, right? Just remind her of that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Can you explain to her that your family being chosen is not a  big  news event that everyone needs to know about, at least I am assuming it's not widely told which family is receiving the gifts?  I'm sure she's scared that her friends and schoolmates will find out and make fun of her, kids can be very mean so I'm not surprised she's worried.  Tell her that next year she can try and pay it forward to another family.  That everyone needs help somethimes and there is nothing wrong with that as long as you are all grateful for the help.

jkleinman
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM
This.

Quoting Dimples04:

How old is she??? I'd let her know if she can't be thankful then you can donate ger gifts to a grateful child.

Quoting Unoriginal.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I think this is very important. It will be a good lesson for her to learn. I understand she's embarrased by it, but remind her to use discretion and no one will know unless she makes it a big deal. she needs to be thankful that at the very least her siblings will receive a christmas at a time when it just wasn't going to happen for your family. 

Quoting Dimples04:

Quoting Unoriginal.:

mamaeagle216
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM
I understand the embarrassment but I think she'll live.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM
She would really be embarrassed here. My kids school just gave us 3 boxes full of food and it road home on the bus. It's also a small school they go too. I so grateful they did this because we are having such a hard time right now. Thank goodness my city has free wifi every where otherwise I wouldn't be on here either.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM

its just agravating. i dont want her pissed at me. besides she already got most of her xmas present last month. i was gonna get her a new phone for xmas but her grandmother stopped paying for her other one (she just moved in in june) so i got her a new phone new plan because trying to pick her up from school is a nightmare if i cant find her lol but shes still pissed at me.

Quoting Anonymous:

This. She's a kid and embarrassed. She'll get over it. If not, who cares. Let her be.

Quoting Anonymous:

She's embarassed. It's anonymous, though, right? Just remind her of that.

akrall83
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:07 PM
2 moms liked this
I understand how she feels and would personally feel the same way. I'm not passing judgment, it's just not something i would be comfortable taking.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsRinehart2010
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

tell her to get over it plain an simple

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured