Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

we are this years "adopt a family" and my sd is pissed!!! *edit eta*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

i just found out today that my sons guidance councilor put our names in for the towns adopt a family thing. i myself am greatful for it. i seriously thought my kids wernt going to have xmas this year. we hit a really hard spot and between what we are backed up on and my kids needs and the damn price of oil im not going to have anything left to shop with. well not very much anyway. well now my sd is pissed because she doesnt want to be the towns charity case. i tried to explain it to her but shes not cracking. not sure how to handle it with her. the young ones dont know and wont know but shes older and she heard me on the phone. ugh!! i tried to explain to her that after everything is paid that leaves about $100 for xmas to cover 5 kids. thats not exactly alot and it definatly doesnt go far but shes still pissed. idk what to do now. i dont want her to be pissed at me but at the same time i dont want them to have a shitty xmas either.

***** for those asking, she is 15

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Replies (21-30):
MajorsMom8215
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Then tell her she doesn't have to take the present she gets and don't buy her anything. Pay it forward to a kid who can be grateful for it.

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM

She will get over it

nellyb118
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM

She is probably embarrassed, just explain to her that everyone has their rough spots and that it is kept private for the most part. If she doesn't want to accept anything from the sponsors tell her that is okay also.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Its hard at that age....just sit down and explain to her how sad and upset the little ones would be without a xmas and that as a big sis its her job to suck it up for thair sakes. Also advise her that it is completely anon.
CoolRelax
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM
2 moms liked this

I understand where she is coming from, I'd feel the same way.  It's not about who knows....SHE knows.  Tell her that if she feels ashamed about accepting the gift she can donate hers to a homes shelter. That way the gift goes to someone she feels is needy sand she gets to keep her 15 yr old pride.

moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Let her be mad. We can't please everyone all the time. And I'm not in the business of pleasing kids...especially ungrateful ones. Lol. Seriously though, she's a teenager. I understand what she's feeling. We were all teens once you know. She'll be okay.

Quoting Anonymous:

its just agravating. i dont want her pissed at me. besides she already got most of her xmas present last month. i was gonna get her a new phone for xmas but her grandmother stopped paying for her other one (she just moved in in june) so i got her a new phone new plan because trying to pick her up from school is a nightmare if i cant find her lol but shes still pissed at me.

Quoting Anonymous:

This. She's a kid and embarrassed. She'll get over it. If not, who cares. Let her be.

Quoting Anonymous:

She's embarassed. It's anonymous, though, right? Just remind her of that.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rawrmommysaurus
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM

she doesn't have to get anything for christmas then....that's what I would do.

fairyjester
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:12 PM

this

Quoting zildjans_mom:

Tell her she doesn't have to participate or accept any of the gifts but she gets nothing then. sorry momma things will get better

"oh look they ate a baby,  how rude"---  Monroe

ilovemykids323
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:12 PM

this right here.

Quoting Dimples04:

How old is she??? I'd let her know if she can't be thankful then you can donate ger gifts to a grateful child.

Quoting Unoriginal.:

She can not get anything for Christmas then.

1plustwinsmommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:13 PM
She is a teen or preteen? She is just embarrassed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN