Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

we are this years "adopt a family" and my sd is pissed!!! *edit eta*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

i just found out today that my sons guidance councilor put our names in for the towns adopt a family thing. i myself am greatful for it. i seriously thought my kids wernt going to have xmas this year. we hit a really hard spot and between what we are backed up on and my kids needs and the damn price of oil im not going to have anything left to shop with. well not very much anyway. well now my sd is pissed because she doesnt want to be the towns charity case. i tried to explain it to her but shes not cracking. not sure how to handle it with her. the young ones dont know and wont know but shes older and she heard me on the phone. ugh!! i tried to explain to her that after everything is paid that leaves about $100 for xmas to cover 5 kids. thats not exactly alot and it definatly doesnt go far but shes still pissed. idk what to do now. i dont want her to be pissed at me but at the same time i dont want them to have a shitty xmas either.

***** for those asking, she is 15

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I feel bad for her. That's very embarrassing, especially at 15! But, I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Still, it wouldn't hurt to acknowledge her feelings and let her know how its not easy for anyone to ask for help. Then help her find ways in the new year to pay it forward.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I personally would tell her fine and not put her on it. Let her have one year of nothing under the tree, maybe then she wouldn't be such a selfish brat.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM
She's just embarrassed and doesn't want her friends to know. I threw a fit when my grandparents dropped me off at my junior prom in a piece of shit cavalier. I didn't want my classmates to see. What I didn't realize at the time is that my friends didn't care. I wish I hadn't been such an immature brat.

Quoting Anonymous:

i just found out today that my sons guidance councilor put our names in for the towns adopt a family thing. i myself am greatful for it. i seriously thought my kids wernt going to have xmas this year. we hit a really hard spot and between what we are backed up on and my kids needs and the damn price of oil im not going to have anything left to shop with. well not very much anyway. well now my sd is pissed because she doesnt want to be the towns charity case. i tried to explain it to her but shes not cracking. not sure how to handle it with her. the young ones dont know and wont know but shes older and she heard me on the phone. ugh!! i tried to explain to her that after everything is paid that leaves about $100 for xmas to cover 5 kids. thats not exactly alot and it definatly doesnt go far but shes still pissed. idk what to do now. i dont want her to be pissed at me but at the same time i dont want them to have a shitty xmas either.

AtillaTheHun
by facta, non verba on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Oh, I hear you. It´s always the same thing. There is always something popping up that nobody expected. :/  

You are being a responsible parent. You make sure your children have a roof over their head, warmth, and food. Just look at the bright side. You did what you had to do to provide for your family, and now someone steps up to help you out. How great is that!? 

Quoting Anonymous:

i wish i could do more but i gotta make sure we have heat too. im on a fixed income and have 3 special needs kids (though only one of them is full time special needs) dh has an income but it isnt much. usually this wouldnt even be an issue but we got nailed with a bunch of crap last min and its like really? this couldnt have happened over the summer where it wouldnt really have made a dent? lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Its hard at that age....just sit down and explain to her how sad and upset the little ones would be without a xmas and that as a big sis its her job to suck it up for thair sakes. Also advise her that it is completely anon.

As a parent, it's OP's job to provide for the kids but she isn't so that conversation would be a bit hypocritcal. Also, since OP is telling people, isn't no longer ANON, people know

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM

She is 15, it's not her job  to help with the bills, it's OP and her DH's

Quoting Anonymous:

I needed it after we left my children's father one year. The kids got amazing presents and clothes and shoes. Even things with their names stitched on! Tell your SD to pitch in with the bills or tell her she doesn't need to recieve any presents if she's going to be negative about it or even that if you don't get help she will only be getting $20 worth of Christmas presents this year.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Tell her about my family we have been homeless for going on 2 months. DH and I sleep in a truck outside while the kids sleep on couches inside a family members home. We can't sleep inside because there isn't enough room. Today I found out I have cancer stage 2 and will have surgery right after the holidays. As I was driving home the truck me and DH sleep in broke down now I have no wheels. We either need to take the money were saving in hopes to be in a place by Christmas to fix the truck or I go with out wheels and I'll be walking and riding buses 2 towns away to my appointments.

DH works 2 hours away and can't get time off. He had a heart attack 2 weeks ago and missed 1 day of work which now makes him have to work Christmas eve and New Years eve.

I work 2 part time jobs. An yes, we are homeless. I will not get into the details of what lead us to being homeless but we are and we'd be every so grateful if some one would help our family out.

We can not make it to Thanksgiving meal that is being held 3 towns away. An my kids will not be getting Christmas.

She should be ever so grateful that her town cares and she has a family that loves her.

I started crying when I read your post because I wish some one would help our family. I feel like I am drowning and I can't even give my kids a Christmas. I am thankful they are older and extend family will be sending them things.

I have sold every item I own. I have this crappy Net Book that isn't worth anything to a Pawn Shop. I sit in front of places that have WIFI or when sitting in the truck I am tonight I use the WIFI from the family members my kids are staying at.

Tonight it will be down to 45. I wish I could sleep on a couch tonight but I am thankful my best friend is sleeping next to me in the drivers seat of our truck.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:37 PM

People know now because OP was on the phone telling someone

Quoting ididntdoit111:

Tell her to relax. The only one that knows is the guidance  lady.Teens are so darn worried about image. I gotta say though this time I know how she feels! One year, right after my house burned down , we were adopted by the school. I was mortified but the principal told me NO ONE knows. . I cried when they delivered everything. My kids had so much stuff, coats and clothes and toys. Tell her to relax. None of her friends will know.

hollydaze1974
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Tell her you'll make sure they don't include her in the gifting. See how that goes over.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jenuresti5
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM

she's at that age..she will get over it and one day be thankful for it and all u do for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN