Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my six year old isnt having christmas this year *edit*

Posted by   + Show Post
We have the money, and even had the toys, but she has always gotten what she has wanted and this year her ungratefulness for everything she owns and gets is has shown... for her birthday she got a dsi from her daddy and a bunch of other toys, but she wanted to open the gifts I got her and I told her to wait til later... I told her I will bring them out later that night because I wanted to give her time to play with her toys from her dad. While I was outside bringing in groceries, she went in the closet and got her toys out anyways. I called her dad and I took all her toys for the week. It broke my heart but she needed to learn a lesson and thought she did but appearantly not...

We have spent over 800 dollars for christmas presents and I had them in my closet. Noone is allowed in my room but everytime I went in my room today, the closet door was opened so I suspected she did it so tonight I sent her in there to put something away and went in after she was done and again the door was open so I confronted her, and she admitted to opening the door to see her gifts... I asked her what all she saw because I was just going to take those gifts and give them to the less fortunate children but she refused to answer so I took all but four small little gifts and brought them out, showed them to her, and explained she wasn't getting them... we took them to the police station, and I had her drop some of them off in the box of toys for tots, and we got back in our car and went home... when we come back from our vacation, Monday she is going to take the rest back to the store and get the money and buy gifts for her sister and other people...

All she is left with is four little toys with stockinng stuffers and everytime she goes back in the closet a toy will get taken and given to someone who will appreciate it...

My two year old is still having christmas and she will still have all the toys we bought her but my six year old is going to learn a lesson the hard way... it breaks my heart but I refuse to have a spoiled brat

Edit:
Well got to go to bed... we have to be up in a couple hours to go out of town for thanksgiving...

But I do want to say one thing... it is kinda funny how I posted the same thing on my fb status and got a different... everyone was all for what I was doing including my family.
I am not doing this to be mean or hateful or to take christmas away from my child... I am doing this to teach her a valuable lessons, and no this is not what normal six year olds do. That is not what I remember growing up and that is not what I want my kids to do... I have rules and I expect them to be obeyed and if they are broken then there will be consequences nomatter if it is christmas or not... she broke my rules and now she has to deal with the consequences. She still has toys, it is just not as much as she would have had..

I am not here to be her friend... I am here to be her mother . And although this hurts me, I have to follow through and I will because she has to learn this lesson.. she willingly did this knowing the consequences for her actions, and now I have to follow through with what I said and punish her so maybe next time this won't happen...

Goodnight ladies... I have to be up in four hours
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Replies (21-30):
NikiSellers0806
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:29 AM
3 moms liked this
*YOU* should have put them somewhere she couldn't see or find them. You dangled them practically in front of her face and now SHE gets punished?? She is 6 years old FFS. Why don't you gift yourself with a parenting class? Or two.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
uriahadel
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM
She is six years old, she knows the rules... she isn't even allowed in my room period unless I send her in there to put something away and she knows regardless not to go into my closet... the first couple of times I assumed but I wasn't sure and I didn't see her... I didn't know if I accidently left it opened or dh left it opened... but tonight I knew it was closed and sent her in there to put something away, and one of our rules is to stay out of our closet, it has always been a rule and she never goes in there, but after she came out, I went in and sure enough the closet was open... and yes when we brought the presents home, I told her and my two year old if they saw the gifts then I would give them to other kids or take it back to the store... she knew the rules before she went in... I wasn't sure before but I was the last time and I did question her about those other times as well after I asked her about the last time and she also confessed to those other times

Quoting newmom2009:

I agree on one hand. Yes she may be just "a kid" but shes also old enough to understand right and wrong. Now heres a question..after the first time you noticed the closet door open did you confront her? Did you tell her ok this is whats going to happen if you go snooping again? Because lets be realistic, kids are nosey especially about presents. If you didn't and just took her presents away then I don't agree.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM

My only issue, that you still intend to spoil the younger child, thus creating another monster.  Maybe it's time to downsize all around to create better humans!

thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I think there are other punishments you could have used. Why spend so much in the first place?

Tara922c
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I remember when I was probably around 8 years old and I snuck into my mom's closet to look at all my Christmas presents. She didn't find out, but it sure did suck when all of my cousins were super excited about their gifts on Christmas morning and I already knew everything I was getting. If DD found her stash of gifts and peeked on purpose, I wouldn't buy her anything else and she would simply lose the element of surprise on Christmas morning. I have super great hiding places though so my five year old wouldn't even know where to look for her presents.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow, I believe in teaching a child a lesson too... But to traumatize her, you're right you're raising her and you've made her this way so take a look in the mirror on how her behavior has become that way... I hope her family makes up for what you're taking away from her... Not giving her everything is one thing but to not give her anything...Crazy concept keep the toys away from such a easy area to be found...

newmom2009
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:33 AM
3 moms liked this
But to me this whole " shes just a kid, and they want to know what they are getting" thing doesn't fly. I can understand once, but not multiple times. I have breakable things in my house. I have taught my son not to touch them. Its called listening and having respect.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sarafinn2012
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

She's 6!! Thats what kids do!! What a horrible heart wrenching thing for 6 year old to not have Christmas! If she was 16, sure I'd tell ya I'm all for it. At 6 years, kids are still learning how to decipher right from wrong and aren't capable of using their best judgement. You are cruel if you actually go through with that, and she will never forget and may never forgive you for it. She is only 6 years old, shes still a baby in my eyes. Why would you keep them in your closet? Couldn't you find a better hiding place? Come on lady, you are the adult, grow up and be a mom!

evilangel198431
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Good for you. I have told my kids this would happen to them as well if they ever tried that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Simply_Janeen
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Sounds like something I did when I was a little younger only I unlocked my sister's bedroom door (AFTER climbing on a hamper), went into her room, got into the presents, took them out, and opened them up and played with them in my brother's room. I was maybe 4 or 5? And we didn't have that much for Christmas, it was one of the lean years. I could see my six year old doing it (seven right after Christmas) especially since she more or less knows some of what she's getting from her one aunt. Technically those are birthday presents as DH doesn't celebrate Christmas so anything she gets for Christmas tends to really be for her birthday as far as he's concerned. Don't ask.

OP, sounds like you might be frustrated with your daughter because of how much you spent maybe? I can understand that. What she did is something kids do. Heck, one year my sister and I (and we were DEFINITELY old enough to know better!!!) got over excited, went down early Christmas morning, kind of unwrapped one of our presents then kind of wrapped it back up. lol It wasn't being ungrateful, it was being nosy and not being able to wait! lol I also kind of think you set her up sending her to your room to put something away (even though you said that no one is allowed in your room). Granted, it's up to you how you want to respond but she is only six. But hey, some parents don't celebrate Christmas at all so it won't kill her to not get any presents. I just get the feeling that you're doing it because you felt she offended you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)