Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my six year old isnt having christmas this year *edit*

Posted by   + Show Post
We have the money, and even had the toys, but she has always gotten what she has wanted and this year her ungratefulness for everything she owns and gets is has shown... for her birthday she got a dsi from her daddy and a bunch of other toys, but she wanted to open the gifts I got her and I told her to wait til later... I told her I will bring them out later that night because I wanted to give her time to play with her toys from her dad. While I was outside bringing in groceries, she went in the closet and got her toys out anyways. I called her dad and I took all her toys for the week. It broke my heart but she needed to learn a lesson and thought she did but appearantly not...

We have spent over 800 dollars for christmas presents and I had them in my closet. Noone is allowed in my room but everytime I went in my room today, the closet door was opened so I suspected she did it so tonight I sent her in there to put something away and went in after she was done and again the door was open so I confronted her, and she admitted to opening the door to see her gifts... I asked her what all she saw because I was just going to take those gifts and give them to the less fortunate children but she refused to answer so I took all but four small little gifts and brought them out, showed them to her, and explained she wasn't getting them... we took them to the police station, and I had her drop some of them off in the box of toys for tots, and we got back in our car and went home... when we come back from our vacation, Monday she is going to take the rest back to the store and get the money and buy gifts for her sister and other people...

All she is left with is four little toys with stockinng stuffers and everytime she goes back in the closet a toy will get taken and given to someone who will appreciate it...

My two year old is still having christmas and she will still have all the toys we bought her but my six year old is going to learn a lesson the hard way... it breaks my heart but I refuse to have a spoiled brat

Edit:
Well got to go to bed... we have to be up in a couple hours to go out of town for thanksgiving...

But I do want to say one thing... it is kinda funny how I posted the same thing on my fb status and got a different... everyone was all for what I was doing including my family.
I am not doing this to be mean or hateful or to take christmas away from my child... I am doing this to teach her a valuable lessons, and no this is not what normal six year olds do. That is not what I remember growing up and that is not what I want my kids to do... I have rules and I expect them to be obeyed and if they are broken then there will be consequences nomatter if it is christmas or not... she broke my rules and now she has to deal with the consequences. She still has toys, it is just not as much as she would have had..

I am not here to be her friend... I am here to be her mother . And although this hurts me, I have to follow through and I will because she has to learn this lesson.. she willingly did this knowing the consequences for her actions, and now I have to follow through with what I said and punish her so maybe next time this won't happen...

Goodnight ladies... I have to be up in four hours
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Replies (41-50):
SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd is eight and has never searched for her gifts, she also has known since she was three she is never allowed in my room.  I don't need a lock to keep her out, it is called setting boundaries. 

Quoting SavdNSanctified:

She's 6. She's eager for Christmas. I don't know a single person that didn't try to find their gifts when they were kids.

I don't agree with what you did, and I don't think it's a good idea to use donations as punishments. Donating things is supposed to be a positive thing that your child is encouraged to do. Not a punishment.

Give the poor kid a Christmas, buy a lock for your door, and don't spend $800 on one kid and then wonder why she acts spoiled.

CafeMom Tickers
AngelPooh
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM
I think i would be more upset about her disrespecting mom, sneaking and lying. Thoae are things that have nothing to do with too many toys, gifts, or christmas. My son likes to sneak. I told him not to look in a bag i had brought in thw house and he did. I made him donate all the toys in that bag to his school toy drive. Guess what? That was 2 years ago and he never did it again! I also had a cousin whose son was younger but was really screwing up in school. His dad took all his presents from us and wouldnt give them to him until he straightened up his act in school. I agree she ahould have to donate some things, especially after lying and sneaking to mom. And then if she does do the right thing maybe earn some back.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this

wow great parenting you set you own child up that is truely fuck up, it seem like you were looking for a reason to ruin her christmas. SHe knew where you hid the gifts, she is 6 and you know she has been in your closet and then you send her into a room that she isn't allow just to tempt her. WTF.

Quoting uriahadel:

They were in my room and in my closet... she is not even allowed in my room... I only sent her in there to set her up because I suspected her of going through my closet... the toys aren't just out... we have a walkin closet and they are in big boxes, and when I questioned her about all she saw, she refused to answer so I took them all except a couple... again her fault, and this is something she has to deal with... I love her to death and would do anything for her but I am not raising a spoiled brat

Quoting NikiSellers0806:

*YOU* should have put them somewhere she couldn't see or find them. You dangled them practically in front of her face and now SHE gets punished?? She is 6 years old FFS. Why don't you gift yourself with a parenting class? Or two.

Bennett121
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this

What is wrong with you? You sent your child in your room to "set her up"? WTF is wrong with you? She is a child. Kids are eager and the temptation is a bit much. Maybe YOU as the mom should hide the presents better. Or lock the closet door. Anything. I thank God I didn't have a mother like you. You're horrible. 

Quoting uriahadel:

They were in my room and in my closet... she is not even allowed in my room... I only sent her in there to set her up because I suspected her of going through my closet... the toys aren't just out... we have a walkin closet and they are in big boxes, and when I questioned her about all she saw, she refused to answer so I took them all except a couple... again her fault, and this is something she has to deal with... I love her to death and would do anything for her but I am not raising a spoiled brat

Quoting NikiSellers0806:

*YOU* should have put them somewhere she couldn't see or find them. You dangled them practically in front of her face and now SHE gets punished?? She is 6 years old FFS. Why don't you gift yourself with a parenting class? Or two.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:41 AM

"Used to getting what she wants!", or, "spoiled", same issue but instead of making this a punishment thing, making it a new tradition would be more effective, for both children.  Great kids can be spoiled brats, I know I have one, but fortunately only one, the other children were raised differently.  Creating children that are thankful for even one dollar store gift.

Quoting uriahadel:

My other child isn't spoiled, and my oldest isn't spoiled either but she did get everything she want until now, until she has showed me she is not mature to handle what she wants...

I discipline my children consistently... they are great kids, but my oldest is just use to getting everything she wants and that is why I am putting a stop to it now

Quoting Dzyre1115:

My only issue, that you still intend to spoil the younger child, thus creating another monster.  Maybe it's time to downsize all around to create better humans!

Vipergirl22
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I think you should have hid her stuff better. She is six and will go searching them out. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

1likeme
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:41 AM
I think that's excessive.
Kaybean
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:42 AM
It doesn't matter if it's normal. She disobeyed and there are consequences. What would you have done? Just told her it was okay because it was normal? Sure, kids have a hard time waiting, but she disobeyed.

Quoting Aleta775:

She's six. Of course, she is curious about what her gifts are. You're a bitch for taking all of her gifts away. It is perfectly normal for kids to try to find out what they got for Christmas.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
uriahadel
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:43 AM
I shouldn't have to lock my door... she knew the rules and the rules have been around eversince I conceived her... she is not allowed in my room point blank... she is still getting 4 small toys but not nearly as much as she would have gotten, and that is her fault and that is a lesson she has to learn, and yes it breaks my heart... I cried tonight after she went to bed, because that took my joy away but my job as a parent is to raise her to be grateful for what she has and to not be a spoiled brat...

I use to think that was her personality, but this year showed a whole different side of her and that is not her personality.

Quoting Anonymous:

has it ever occured to you that maybe it isn't that she isn't grateful maybe she is just a quite child. My daughter has never smiled when she got stuff, never cried when she got stuff taken away but i never meant that she didn't like the stuff or taking stuff away didn't bother her. she may never have voiced it but that don't mean anything. It could be just her personality. I don't know about you but i wouldn't want to see my kid cry on christmas morning just to prove a point, that is just being a bitch, and she will remember this.Every child is different, you can't expect her to be like your other two kids. You know you have a sneaky kid, then why didn't you put a lock on the door, that would have save you a lot of problems, that is what i do. what she didn't ins't anything unusual, most kids have done the same thing is given the opporunity.

Your kid, your business but i think you are overreacting and just being mean.

uoting uriahadel:

Yea there is more to it... from the time she was really little, she never showed gratitude for anything, and she never smiles or is happy when she receives anything, and I thought that was just her personality, but this year it really started showing, and when I took her gifts away on her birthday, it didn't bother her... tonight when I took them and made her take them to the police station, it didn't bother her... I think it bothers me more then it does her... I honestly don't think she believes I will go through with it, but I am, and on christmas it is going to break her heart and that is when it is going to hit the fan... it is already breaking my heart but I know I have to go through with this... my other child is very grateful for everything she gets but my oldest is and has never been grateful

Quoting moosesmom:

I'm sure there's more to this. You live with her and I don't. But all I read about was an eager child who couldn't wait to see her gifts. The anticipation was killing her!! Lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Wow. She's six...not sixteen. That's just mean.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)