Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

tell me how cooking from scratch is suppose to be cheaper when its not!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 346 Replies
i want a menu
a shopping list
and your budget!

Go.......

(ill try to keep up from mobile)
and this is starting with out things like flour sugar ect.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
XJetX
by Resident Heathen on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:50 AM
28 moms liked this
The food goes farther for what you buy. Plus it's better for you and not full of preservatives like premade frozen/boxed stuff is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
malissaL
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:51 AM
8 moms liked this

cooking from scratch is not ALWAYS cheaper. 

I think the only time it really is cheaper is when you have the time and space to buy staples in extremely LARGE amounts, cook in large quantities and freeze or can those items to keep them from spoiling. To me, time is money. 

notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:52 AM
3 moms liked this

it is cheaper you just have to know what and how to buy. there are times when I have to buy junk for something and i always spend way more when I buy crappy food.

EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:52 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't cook all from scratch but here's my dinner list for two weeks just for the fun of it :P

Chicken fajitas

Creamy chicken & rice bake

Spaghetti & garlic bread

Fish & chips

Salmon & 3 potato medley

Grilled cheese & soup

Italian potatoes & carbonara

Nachoes with red pepper & ground beef

Frozen veggie pizza & spinach salad

Tuna helper (lazy night lol)

Pork chops, biscuits & salad

Chili enchiladas

Pancakes

Mac & cheese & vegetables

ETA: Costs 200 for the ingredients plus lunch & breakfast stuff. We shop like this every two weeks.

Nickie143
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I would like to know as well. I can't seem to do it. Maybe I am "from scratch challenged" or something lol It cost so much money to eat healthy. I would love to learn how.

Liz132
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:53 AM
2 moms liked this

I buy in bulk so my shopping list for the week is basically just fruit and veggies. Why would you think cooking from scratch isn't cheaper?

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

well i use a lot of potatoes, rice  and pasta which are extremely cheap. then most meats i buy are $3 or less a pound and a typical meal for my family of 4 only uses about a pound or so of meat and we usually have leftovers. it always winds up way cheaper for us to eat at home.

also i get most of my groceries at sam's club or aldis and buy my breads at the bread store where things are cheaper.

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I cook mostly from scratch. Yes sometimes I buy a jar of spaghetti sauce but I don't buy frozen or pre-made items. It may not be initially cheaper but it lasts longer and  is much healthier. I don't have menus or a budget because I just buy whatever I want to cook but I keep basics in the house. My dh cooks too so that helps. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:55 AM
because its to expensive to start.

Quoting Liz132:

I buy in bulk so my shopping list for the week is basically just fruit and veggies. Why would you think cooking from scratch isn't cheaper?

indyb
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:56 AM

It probably depends on what you buy and make,  I do semi from scratch,  I still buy the premade noodles and things like that but it's a lot cheaper than buying premade box meals!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)