Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

tell me how cooking from scratch is suppose to be cheaper when its not!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
i want a menu
a shopping list
and your budget!

Go.......

(ill try to keep up from mobile)
and this is starting with out things like flour sugar ect.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:05 AM
because its rare that i use it other than baking.

Quoting alwayskk:

Why would you start without flour?

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

If you don't get meat on sale, it can cost more but even so it'll will be cheaper than eating out.  Some things I just don't do from scratch.  Like for instance, I know how to make speghetti meat sauce from scratch but I don't.  I buy 2 kinds of jarred sauce (that does not have any preservatives or HFCS) and add it to browned ground beef and sometimes sweet italian sausage.  My kid calls it Momma's spaghetti.  It is as good as homemade sauce that takes hours to make but can be ready in 30 minutes.  

But generally if you make something from scratch, you'll have leftovers and your dollars are stretched further.  For instance, I bought a pot roast last week, that wasn't on sale but I took the leftovers turned it into beef pot pie for a meal later in the week. So it was two meals for one price.  

mary841108
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:06 AM

my weekly budget is about $75.00 give or take. i shop at Aldi or Save a Lot, sometimes Tops Markets when they have good sales. so i'll do a pretend weekly menu since thanksgiving is going to get a bit more pricey. Mon: steak, fried potatoes, corn, biscuits(from scratch), Tues: Porkchops, buttered noodles & green beans, Wed: mushroom chicken, rice (not the 5 min shit either, the stuff you have to cook) peas, biscuits(scratch), Thurs: baked ziti, salad, Fri: Pizza, Saturday: chicken soup, Sunday: beef & gravy, mashed taters, corn, biscuits. My list would look like this:

Flour, sugar, milk, eggs, cereal, bread, corn starch, beef bouillon, chicken broth, potatoes, mushrooms, sour cream, green peppers, frozen veggies, steak, big pack of chicken, porkchops, stew meat, ground beef, tomatoes, onion, tomato paste.

since i shop at aldi and save a lot, i rarely go over my $75 a week. i feed a family of four quite well and i tend to make a lot of sauce and soup that can be placed in the freezer for later on. we order pizza on fridays, thats why there isnt anything on the list for pizza. i always have flour, sugar and other baking supplies on hand and usually only have to get them every few months. If you are starting with nothing in your cupboards, of course its going to be more expensive. But its healthier and doable. with the flour, milk and eggs you can make noodles, pancakes, biscuits, simple cakes, ect.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Well yes. If you have a bare pantry and spice cupboard, when you first start cooking its going to be more expensive. But if you have a relatively well stocked pantry, cooking from scratch is generally not more expensive. You have to be able to eyeball a recipe and know what's going to cost a lot to make and what is not if price is a concern.

Quoting Anonymous:

because its to expensive to start.

Quoting Liz132:

I buy in bulk so my shopping list for the week is basically just fruit and veggies. Why would you think cooking from scratch isn't cheaper?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:06 AM
I cook probably 80% from scratch, once your stocked up on the staples and plan your menus etc, , plus I cook extra and freeze. I buy in bulk. I also invested in a Freezer storage bag system, so i can freeze my foods and seal them in air tight bags. ,that machine has saved us a lot of money no more freezer burns on anything. I can cook more from scratch freeze it and meals are always ready. Try and compare cost of different foods you make vs. boxed or prepared foods, and how many you are cooking for. Use mac n cheese as a example, I can.make yummy homemade at a larger quantity cheaper than that nasty stuff in a box, it is price per person and nutritional value.
babygirl7161
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:07 AM
All those ingredients will be left over to make more cakes though, you would only need yo rebut icing.

I do this with cookies. I tried several from stratch cake recipes and prefer box cake mixes

Quoting JDmommyJD:

lol, i thought this about desserts the other day. Box of cake mix- .88, container frosting- 1.25. But to do it from scratch there were so many ingredients! boo

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Okay.

Well a pound of flour is about three bucks and it can last you a super long time.

So whenever you see the cost of a pound of ____, keep in mind that this bag will last you for 20 meals...instead of that tin of rolls which cost you $3 and lasts a day.

Quoting Anonymous:

because its rare that i use it other than baking.

Quoting alwayskk:

Why would you start without flour?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:08 AM
I'm confused my what people mean when they say they cook from scratch. do they make their own pasta and stew down tomatoes for spaghetti marinara?
Meglet1970
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Please keep in mind that while initially you would buy the 5 or 10 pound bag of flour and the 5 pound bag of sugar, but those would make many, many recipes.  For example, you buy a bag of flour and sugar, make a cake.  You would still have flour and sugar left over for your next recipe.  Most of the staples are that way. 

Baybeelove88
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:09 AM
It's not always cheaper, it really depends on what you're making, some things it is, some it's not....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN