Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

tell me how cooking from scratch is suppose to be cheaper when its not!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
i want a menu
a shopping list
and your budget!

Go.......

(ill try to keep up from mobile)
and this is starting with out things like flour sugar ect.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM
Replies (341-346):
wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

There are only 2 of us too, and I buy in bulk and cook  & freeeze a lot of food for later. i couldn't even eat 3 meals a day!  Esp going out. I make large amounts of chili & spag sauce & soups so when we want those it's already made and it's an easy meal. It's healthy and I use a vacuum sealer so everything tastes as fresh as the day I made it.  Even when we travel we usually hit a grocery store for yogurt and we'll have that & my dh likes coffee for breakfast and then we do go out for lunch & dinner, but i couldn't do it on a regular basis. Not because of cost, but because I've worked in kitchens, and it's just not healthy cooking.

Quoting moneysaver6:

It is, most certainly, cheaper to cook from scratch than it is to buy processed "foods".  It's certainly cheaper than eating out every night.

Quoting catchup29:

It's not. There are only 2 of us most of the time. DH and I. Kids are adults. So we eat out every night. On weekends, 3 times a day.

daughteroftruth
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this
There are great web sitesnout there for so many spice mixes. I have one for ranch that i really like. I make my own enchilada sauce from scratch...so much tastier then store bought.

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

for instance i made my own taco seasoning the other day. I got a huge ziploc bag full that will last might quite a while. I had all the spices on hand anyways, & I didn't use them all up. One packet of taco seasoning is about a dollar, on sale. & that is used for ONE meal. .. this stuff I made will make a lot more than that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hyman
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:39 PM
I didn't even read the replies ... But ... It's not. Food is so expensive in all forms now. :(:(:(

I make most things from scratch and the generic brand on sale is so much cheaper than getting organic and specialty gluten free or whatever ingredients I'm using.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
daughteroftruth
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:40 PM
Large batches and freezing saves so much time and money..like tonight i made a large pot of turkey stew with the turkey carcass from yesterday... makes enough for my family of seven to have three nights of soup. I freeze two batches and we eat one..so now i have two meals just sitting in the freezer. I do this with most meals, saves so much.

Quoting wooly:

There are only 2 of us too, and I buy in bulk and cook  & freeeze a lot of food for later. i couldn't even eat 3 meals a day!  Esp going out. I make large amounts of chili & spag sauce & soups so when we want those it's already made and it's an easy meal. It's healthy and I use a vacuum sealer so everything tastes as fresh as the day I made it.  Even when we travel we usually hit a grocery store for yogurt and we'll have that & my dh likes coffee for breakfast and then we do go out for lunch & dinner, but i couldn't do it on a regular basis. Not because of cost, but because I've worked in kitchens, and it's just not healthy cooking.

Quoting moneysaver6:

It is, most certainly, cheaper to cook from scratch than it is to buy processed "foods".  It's certainly cheaper than eating out every night.

Quoting catchup29:

It's not. There are only 2 of us most of the time. DH and I. Kids are adults. So we eat out every night. On weekends, 3 times a day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jules8289
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Scratch cooking is cheaper. I believe it just depends on how and what you like to eat. Also what your level of cooking expertise is. Once you start, your pantry will build up to have some staples. Don't go for recipes that have a ton of different ingredients that you'll only use a once or twice. Keep it basic except for the occasional meal. Time wise will get quicker as you learn too. Use the crockpot. Freeze. Hubby and I also like to can from our garden. Choose what to buy in bulk. Lots of bulk shopping I don't see as a money saver. We do all this yet both of us work full time outside the home. Watch the sales for your staple items. Like canned tomoatoes, spices, meats and so on. We also go semi-scratch too. Scratch cooking with short cuts! 

lazydayz
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:10 PM
I always cook from scratch. There are a few reasons why, but i always always coupon. I do not buy something unless I have coupons and I follow the coupon cycles so that I never run out of what I need. I try to stay under $1 on everything I buy. That is the only way to prepare all dishes from scratch. The only thing I buy premade is rice and pasta.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN