Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

tell me how cooking from scratch is suppose to be cheaper when its not!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
i want a menu
a shopping list
and your budget!

Go.......

(ill try to keep up from mobile)
and this is starting with out things like flour sugar ect.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM
Replies (41-50):
Liz132
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know about walmart, I get mine stuff from a bulk foods store so it's really cheap. Price isn't the only reason I cook from scratch though. It's much healthier, our foods aren't filled with preservatives, I know exactly what is going into our food and I can make it as healthy as I want. What thins are you wanting to make from scratch anyway? You could try a few things and see how it goes you don't have to completely switch over from what you're eating now.

Quoting Anonymous:

walmart is my only option

Quoting Liz132:

True, it probably does cost more at the start if you don't have anything but you can make your ingredients last so much longer. Also it depends on where you shop.

Quoting Anonymous:

because its to expensive to start.

Quoting Liz132:

I buy in bulk so my shopping list for the week is basically just fruit and veggies. Why would you think cooking from scratch isn't cheaper?

Goofygadget
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:16 AM
I do this with biscuits and freeze them.

Quoting alwayskk:

Okay.

Well a pound of flour is about three bucks and it can last you a super long time.

So whenever you see the cost of a pound of ____, keep in mind that this bag will last you for 20 meals...instead of that tin of rolls which cost you $3 and lasts a day.

Quoting Anonymous:

because its rare that i use it other than baking.

Quoting alwayskk:

Why would you start without flour?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:17 AM

your probly thinking of one meal but you will still have plenty left for many more so in the end it is cheaper.

3gr8tKids
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:18 AM
It may strech further. Whole foods are expensive. They are much better for you. Boxed foods have all kinds of things such as transfats, preservatives, high in sugar, food coloring, artificial flavoring, they tends to be very high in calories, and low nutritional content.
Awakened1
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Mainly tomato based. You can then adapt it to different meals.

Quoting Goofygadget:

What type of sauces do you make?

Quoting Awakened1:

Personally I buy things like pasta but make sauce.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm confused my what people mean when they say they cook from scratch. do they make their own pasta and stew down tomatoes for spaghetti marinara?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Quoting JDmommyJD:

good to know, becuase thats what I decided, lol. I bought a bunch of desert cookbooks to make all kinds of new stuff, and cookies, for the holidays (xmas). But, i figure if i want regular cake or cupcakes Ill just buy the box ;)

Quoting babygirl7161:

All those ingredients will be left over to make more cakes though, you would only need yo rebut icing.

I do this with cookies. I tried several from stratch cake recipes and prefer box cake mixes

Quoting JDmommyJD:

lol, i thought this about desserts the other day. Box of cake mix- .88, container frosting- 1.25. But to do it from scratch there were so many ingredients! boo

Just a little FYI...one of the best chocolate cake recipes is on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa can. Hershey's "perfectly chocolate" chocolate cake. The icing recipe is on there too.

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:19 AM
I'm not in the US, so my list and budget will be useless to you, lol
But cooking from scratch isn't always cheaper. You have to compare. For example, here in Mexico canned tomatoes are much more expensive than fresh, so I do make my sauces and salsas using fresh. But something like spinach may be cheaper if it's frozen because to get that amount from fresh you have to buy a lot.
Many processed foods are cheaper than the from scratch version, like Mac & cheese comes to mind.
My goal in cooking from scratch isn't money, it's health. Processed food are packed with sugar, sodium and chemicals that I prefer to limit in my food. I'm not some all-natural fanatic, I don't go into a panic over some chemicals, but I try to keep it in moderation. Plus, as a chef I love to cook.

Sharon
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:19 AM
so far you sound the most helpful.
I did a garden this yr but the hail hit it hard 3 times and the the grubs got to it. Next summer im doing a 5 gallon garden :) so if the weather gets bad i can move it to the porch.

Quoting malissaL:

an important tip is to not waste anything! if you cook a ham or turkey or roast, be savvy with the bones. the juice I will drain or scrape out of the roaster or crockpot, put in a bag and freeze and use it in a pot of beans and rice. (which is hearty and needs no meat) a turkey or chicken carcass can be boiled and made into soup or stew with dumplings (flour and water, how cheap is that) with in season vegetables. I always have carrots, celery, onions,  potatoes, dry beans and rice on hand. With these you have the base for many soups and stews and stir frys..Sometimes we will have a baked potato bar. For my family this means 7 large potatoes, some chopped leftover ham or bacon, a bag of frozen broccoli bought on sale, cheese I shredded (way cheaper than pre shredded) and of course, butter, sour cream etc. 

I think chicken breast (boneless skinless) is a waste of money unless you get a bad-ass deal on breast halves or buy a single one from a market to chop and add to soup or slice really thin to add to a stir fry. I do alot of meatless or meals where meat is not the star, again, such as soups, stews, pasta dishes... Use it for flavor as opposed to it being an entire course. When I do a meal with meat as a course I make sure it has a bone-like a ham, turkey, chicken, roast..etc..Learn to utilize leftovers, become good enough at it to where you don't even know it's left-over when you are done repurposing it into an entirely new meal. 

if you are looking to budget your meals, maybe you can budget in other ways to help with that. We ice fish in the winter. Berry-pick in the summer. Grow a garden. If it seems complicated, it's not..I had one for years and put very little work into it besides picking. If you don't have a yard to grow one in, grow a container garden of fresh herbs in your house or apartment. Grow lots of basil and make pesto for pasta (another good meat-less meal) or dipping your carrots and celery in :)  

MrsRi
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:21 AM

We spend approximately 300$ a month on groceries each month and have a family of 4.  We make a lot of meals from scratch, vegan dishes, pastas, soups and things of that nature go a long way.  Here are some of the things that we eat during the week

Breakfasts:

Oatmeal

Homemade granola-like cereals

Malt-O-Meal

Muffins (Usually blueberry almond and carrot)

Biscuits and gravy

Various egg dishes

Toasts

Lunches

Sandwiches (PB/Deli cuts/Cucumber/Tomato/Avocado/Tuna - not together LOL but those are different types)

Pasta (I make several different types of Fagottini and freeze them then make different sauces for them as I need them)

Salads

Stuffed peppers

Various types of onigiri

Dinners

Soups

Chili (made from left over soup stock)

Baked chicken

Tofu dishes (This can be a variety of different things)

Veggies

Different fish dishes

Different types of vegan dishes 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:22 AM
i dont understand freezing meals. Do you bag it and unthaw it? Does it taste the same?

Quoting jessi2girls:

cooking from scratch is cheaper.. WHEN YOU HAVE THE ITEMS ALREADY IN YOUR KITCHEN!!! lol.

There are stable kitchen items you should always have.. and you can't necessarily equate them into a budget, because these are things that will cost you 1-5 dollars, that you will reuse again and again and again!

That you can use COUNTLESS times.

When you have them in your kitchen already.. it's much cheaper and easier to replace, one or two items that you are runnign low on, vs, having to buy everything at once.

so for example.. if you have to go out and get flour and sugar (which shouldn't cost you more than $5.00 for them).. you can get a large number of meals out of that.. a large batch of cookies, homemade pastas, breading.. etc etc etc.

First.. I suggest, you start off by continuing to shop how you shop, but add in a few stable items.. flour, sugar one week.. some spices you'll need the next, and so forth, and slowly start to incorporate one homemade recipe a week with using them, then two.. then three.. this way it's not a huge slap to yoru budget, and it's a slower transistion.

when you make homemade a lot of things, you can freeze and reuse later, or remake into some other dish as well!! (which also helps with savings).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)