Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should Walmart have been responsible?? Black Friday related

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:13 PM
  • 19 Replies

ok, this story was on my local news this morning. As I was reading it I was thinking "poor kid, that's a shame" etc. It's a 16 year old girl. Basically she was trampled in a line to get a video game at Walmart on Black Friday last year. She was pulled to safety, ended up going to the hospital, but held on to her game. But then at the bottom of the article it says Walmart paid the family a small compensation for her pain and suffering. 

I am an avid Black Friday shopper. But I know going in that it's crazy. This is not to excuse the people who trampled her, not at all. But in my opinion Walmart shouldn't have had to pay her. It's not Walmart's fault that other people were stupid enough to knock over this girl. It's not their fault that this girl chose to stand in line for a video game.

What do you think?

MUSKEGON, Mich. (WZZM) -- She admits the sale prices are appealing, but 16-year-old Ellisha Stone of Muskegon says she won't be doing any more Black Friday shopping -- not after what happened last year.

"It was terrifying," she says. "I would never want anyone to be in that position again."

During the 2011 Black Friday sale, Ellisha says, she was at the front of the line waiting to buy a discounted video game inside the Walmart store on Sherman Avenue.

She says there were only eight games and 60 people were in line.

When the sale started she says she was knocked over, stepped on and stomped.

"I was saying, 'Please help me, get off me'," she recalls. "I was trying to scream but as I was screaming I couldn't breathe anymore and I was starting to pass out."

A strong stranger waiting in the line behind her pulled Ellisha to safety.

"He went under and plowed everyone out of the way, grabbed me and pulled me out of it," she says. "I started shaking really bad and I passed out. I don't remember anything until getting to the hospital. It's all a blank."

Ellisha escaped without serious injury.

She says she also held onto the game she had waited in line to buy for her sister.  But never again.

"I'm not going to Black Friday again," she vows. "That was my first and last time. It's just crazy how people get. No product should be worth anybody's life."

The family says Walmart paid a small settlement to compensate for the girl's pain and suffering.

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Wow...shame on those other people!

So_Devious20
by Misha Lovegood<3 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM

It happened in their store..

prieta05
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this
People are just so stupid waiting outside the door like savages (like if they aren't never gonna get to go inside) Like WTF u still gonna go inside the store sooner or later.

shooo If that ever was to happen to me i bet you my ass i will have a pepper spray ready to spray anyone that touches me or my family
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mesh2
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I totally agree. It was not the fault of Walmart or their employees. They should not have to be responsible. 

Groove
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:18 PM
they probably did it bc they're trying to keep a good appearance. Not bc it was expected of them or they were being sued. If they did it of their own accord, why not?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CutieCrab
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Maybe they were just being generous and felt bad
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MaryanneMac
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Walmart should not have had to pay her, but in order to avoid a lawsuit they did.

hudson.maggie
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I think walmart was just trying to cover their butts.. If they wouldn't have offered, who's to say that that girls family wouldn't turn around and sue them, ya know?

But- I do agree it isn't walmarts fault. People are CRAZY

CutieCrab
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Forget pepper spray, get a stun gun! Lol
Everyone will get out of your way then! ;P

Quoting prieta05:

People are just so stupid waiting outside the door like savages (like if they aren't never gonna get to go inside) Like WTF u still gonna go inside the store sooner or later.

shooo If that ever was to happen to me i bet you my ass i will have a pepper spray ready to spray anyone that touches me or my family
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes if an injury happens in their store its their responsibility

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN