Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

STOP WITH THE RICE CEREAL (This is posted under "Babies" too)

Posted by   + Show Post
(Yes I have this posted under "Babies" too but there seems to be more moms under "Mom Confessions" so I'm posting it twice to get this information out there!)

Did you know how very bad rice cereal is for your baby?

I have had SOOO many people trying to force me to give rice cereal to my 3 month old son and I've had it. So I did some research and talked to our pediatrician about it and this is the gist of what I found out:

Babies CANNOT digest rice cereal! They do not produce the enzyme (or enough of it) to break rice cereal down (OR other cereals, breads, crackers or other grains) so it literally rots in their stomach. Yes it can make them sleep longer but the risks far outweigh the benefits. "They" actually dont suggest giving a baby grains until at least after their first birthday when they can digest it better.

I know many of you will say "Well I did it with my LO and he/she never had any problems" and I believe you. Not every child shows obvious signs of damage, but that doesnt mean it hasnt done some damage! Please read this article before you post your opinion because these are FACTS.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/right-way-to-feed-babies/

Sorry if its not "clickable"

**EDIT** If you didnt even read the article then dont post a comment!! I am NOT telling you what to do, I just want people to have this information since so many pediatricians are out of date!

**EDIT 2** My son has severe acid reflux and guess what we dont use?! RICE CEREAL! There are other things you can do to stop them from puking other than giving them CRAP. He is on an antacid that works wonders and we mixed something with my pumped breastmilk to give it more fat because he lost a lot of weight as a newborn before we started the meds and it worked great! Yes my pediatrician suggested giving my 3 week old rice cereal in a bottle and we changed pediatricians.

ALSO, I TOOK THIS ARTICLE TO MY PEDIATRICIAN BEFORE POSTING THIS! SHE TOTALLY AGREE'S EXCEPT FOR THE PART ABOUT EGGS. SHE AGREE'S THAT EGGS HAVE GREAT NUTRITIONAL VALUE BUT THEY ARE ONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT MAY CAUSE ALLERGIES SO STOP SAYING "Listen to your pediatrician and not Dr. Google" BECAUSE MY PEDIATRICIAN HAS THE SAME VIEWS ON GRAINS!!!

HERE IS ANOTHER ARTICLE ABOIT IT: http://www.foodrenegade.com/why-ditch-infant-cereals/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Replies (41-50):
MountieMama
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:26 PM
No solids until 8 months?

Quoting usmcwifey11:

Rice cereal has the nutritional value of cardboard. My babies never got it. We did baby led solids at 8 months.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krayzbabylove
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:27 PM
Dear god, please listen to your pediatrician.

Quoting The.Hug.Life:

Not even a little bit? Her pediatrician told us to because DD is trying to wean herself.

Quoting bear.katten:

Yes because it is a grain.

Quoting The.Hug.Life:

What? Really? I give my 9 month old oatmeal...it's bad for her?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
winkyloafer
3 moms liked this
My child is going to live off of ribeyes. So much healthier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:27 PM
2 moms liked this
3 months is too young for ANY solids. Wait until 6 months. And I agree the cereals are useless.
bear.katten
Yes there are... did you read the article I posted?

Quoting crazysheep:

Are there any cases of damage to a child?

MommieSDW
My DD has chronic constipation that started when I weaned her to formula at 4 months and also started cereals with her. She's 4 now and still has problems. I never put it together until a few years and research later :( I don't try and tell people what to do but I made the choice to not give my 1 yr old any solids until close to a year.
Aamy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:27 PM
Gee why didnt think of thicker formula, hmmm oh that's eight ww did. What ever floats your boat. And again I will trust a Dr over some quack on a mission.

Quoting bear.katten:

Um ok? I dont need to "get over" anything. I want the info out there. My son has severe reflux as well, we give him a formula that is thicker every once in a while and I pump my milk to store.

Quoting Aamy:

Sorry but I will listen to my pedi thank you. Ds has horrible reflux, Dr finally said to add some rice cereal, and guess what, I had a baby that could keep food in his belly, finally felt full, and was happy. So get over it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mortiferouslatt
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:28 PM
I don't think it's necessary in general but my son who is now 5 has always had reflux and it helped when he was an infant to keep his milk from coming back up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsSamMerlotte
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:28 PM
I didn't do.cereal with my dd either. She really didn't get any solid before a year. we tried fruits and veggies at 6 months but she wasn't interested until about 11 months old.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep it is true.

My daughters Ped allergist/nutritionist said baby cereals are terrible for babies.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)