Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

STOP WITH THE RICE CEREAL (This is posted under "Babies" too)

Posted by   + Show Post
(Yes I have this posted under "Babies" too but there seems to be more moms under "Mom Confessions" so I'm posting it twice to get this information out there!)

Did you know how very bad rice cereal is for your baby?

I have had SOOO many people trying to force me to give rice cereal to my 3 month old son and I've had it. So I did some research and talked to our pediatrician about it and this is the gist of what I found out:

Babies CANNOT digest rice cereal! They do not produce the enzyme (or enough of it) to break rice cereal down (OR other cereals, breads, crackers or other grains) so it literally rots in their stomach. Yes it can make them sleep longer but the risks far outweigh the benefits. "They" actually dont suggest giving a baby grains until at least after their first birthday when they can digest it better.

I know many of you will say "Well I did it with my LO and he/she never had any problems" and I believe you. Not every child shows obvious signs of damage, but that doesnt mean it hasnt done some damage! Please read this article before you post your opinion because these are FACTS.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/right-way-to-feed-babies/

Sorry if its not "clickable"

**EDIT** If you didnt even read the article then dont post a comment!! I am NOT telling you what to do, I just want people to have this information since so many pediatricians are out of date!

**EDIT 2** My son has severe acid reflux and guess what we dont use?! RICE CEREAL! There are other things you can do to stop them from puking other than giving them CRAP. He is on an antacid that works wonders and we mixed something with my pumped breastmilk to give it more fat because he lost a lot of weight as a newborn before we started the meds and it worked great! Yes my pediatrician suggested giving my 3 week old rice cereal in a bottle and we changed pediatricians.

ALSO, I TOOK THIS ARTICLE TO MY PEDIATRICIAN BEFORE POSTING THIS! SHE TOTALLY AGREE'S EXCEPT FOR THE PART ABOUT EGGS. SHE AGREE'S THAT EGGS HAVE GREAT NUTRITIONAL VALUE BUT THEY ARE ONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT MAY CAUSE ALLERGIES SO STOP SAYING "Listen to your pediatrician and not Dr. Google" BECAUSE MY PEDIATRICIAN HAS THE SAME VIEWS ON GRAINS!!!

HERE IS ANOTHER ARTICLE ABOIT IT: http://www.foodrenegade.com/why-ditch-infant-cereals/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Replies (501-501):
sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:09 PM

You are making uneducated guesses.  Studies on human breastmilk and how it changes also supports the conclusion that human babies are meant to begin to eat solids once they develop the pincer grasp and lose the tongue thrust reflex. Both of which happen right around 6 months of age. Right, food wasn't a luxury, it was necessity for all, which of course all includes babies from about 6 months of age onward.

Quoting jessi2girls:

affording doesn't just mean money.. it means availability of food.. and by supper time I was being general.. however I shall correct it and say meal times (or whenever they would eat). Mom's nursed rather than feed babies who didn't NEED the food.   The mom's NEEDED it, as did the older children. 

Food wasn't the luxuary it is now. 

Quoting sha_lyn68:

For the majority of the existence of man, there was no "supper time" or putting baby down for a nap. There also was no "affording to" feed a baby that young. Humans were hunter gathers for several hundred- thousand years. There were no tables to sit down at or grocery stores to shop at. There were no playpens or cribs to sequester the baby to while the adults and older children ate. They would start tasting foods as they became aware of mom eating. We observe such behavior now in the other great apes.

Quoting jessi2girls:

babies were often put down to nap during supper time, families couldn't afford the luxuary to feed a baby that young.. BTW.. I said most, not ALL..

And yes the use to babyfood instead of table food is a fairly new thing.. however table foods were introduced much later than 4-6 months of age for most of man kinds existance!

Just because something comes out on the market, does not mean it's for the better of our society.. it needs fine tuning.  Baby food, car seats, etc, are no exception.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Your below post is a great example of your previous claim about the extremes people will go to with their lying. You really can't seriously believe that during most of mankind's existence that once a baby develops a pincer grasp and mobility that they were still  only consuming breast milk. The fact is that withholding solids until some fixed "age" and the use of baby food instead of "table food" is the fairly new thing.

Quoting jessi2girls:

yup.. exactly. Feeding food so young is still a fairly new thing.. for most of man kinds existance, babies were only breastfed until at least one to two years old. With all the information about how bad it is before 6 months old NOW, you'd think we'd move past the way our parents or their parents may have fed them, and see how badly it effected many of them, some later into adulthood. 

All these people that say.. "oh my child is perfectly healthy"..   there are a lot of things you won't notice until adulthood!  

And what is the point of feeding a baby before 6 months old? There is none. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I just feel sorry for their poor children. Ultimately they are the ones who suffer the most.

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting Anonymous:

Clearly you're not interacting with the most intelligent group. I wouldn't even waste my energy on this stupidity. These fools don't and won't understand that yes, the health of their kids is all of our business because health care costs are rising because of unhealthy everyone else is due to poor diet. You are arguing with people who probably live on Cheetos and McDonalds. You'll never win.

Lol.. you are right. It just amazes me that people are really go to the point of lying about things to pretend they actually know what they are talking about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)