Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Sciatic nerve. What. Can I do??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
My sciatic nerve hurts so bad!!! I can hardly walk. It hurt before bed last night was fine tho morning and now I'm on the couch and can hardly move. It's such a nice day outside and wanted to take the kids out but I don't think that's gonna happen! What can I do?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:41 PM
Bump
winkyloafer
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:43 PM
REST. You may be like that for a couple of days and no matter how miserable you may seem, you'll thank yourself later. Take pain reliever and soak in epsom salt, as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Ibprofen or salt hot water in bath tub
babygirl7161
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Ugh I feel ya, try some nsaid's (motrin, alive, advil, naporsyn)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazyLife1996
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:47 PM
I lay on the floor with my legs on the couch. Sometimes it helps a lot.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Chiropractor
LiliM
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:48 PM
2 moms liked this

Take a tennis ball, and put it in the notch where it really hurts.  What is happening is one of two things, usually.  Either the nerve is pinched near the spine, or your piriformis (part of the lateral hip rotator muscle group that goes from your spine to the hip across the lower portion of your butt area) is tight and aggravating your sciatic nerve. 

I lay in bed when I do that so there is a little give.  You want to apply pressure to help release the muscle.

Also, Sit up straigt, and take the leg on the side that is hurting, and put that ankle on your other knee, and bend over.  You'll feel the stretch right at the spot where hip meets muscle.  That can help stretch out the piriformis as well.

If that doesn't help, you need to get to a doc.  Self care is great, but by the time the body is hurting like this, the body is waving a white flag and asking for help.

source: ten years as a massage therapist working in chiropractic offices.  I am not a doc, am not diagnosing, just offering what I see on a regular basis.  If it continues, or is a regular thing, get your aching butt to a dr.

LiliM
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Chiropractor

This, too.  Adjustments are fabulous.

NiCo86
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:50 PM
try lying on the floor on your back, pull your knees to your chest one st a time, and stretch your lower back. you can also try cat pose (on all fours arch your back up towards the ceiling, then down towards the floor). i have sciatica and stretching and keeping moving (even a little) helps. also take an anti-inflammatory.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
StrangeDays
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:51 PM
As much as it hurts to move and walk, you have to move and walk for it to feel better. It sounds contradictory, but it will help. The key is to take it slow and a little at a time. Before you know it, you'll feel better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)