Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Registered American Indians??

Posted by   + Show Post
So I'm a registered American Indian of the chtimatchan tribe in Louisiana. Every year I get per capita payments and I'm never met anyone else that gets payments or knows they can. Are their any registered Indians on here that get their per capita payments??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Replies (11-20):
Cbreland07
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Yes she can.. Both actually although some tribes frown upon that..

Quoting Anonymous:

No. My mother is half kickapoo, half navajo. Would she be able to register with either tribe?

Cbreland07
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:32 PM
If you can show proof of blood lineage and are in the required percentage of the tribe yes you can register

Quoting tears78:

My real father is Seneca Iroquois and my grandmother lived on a res. Never met my father.. Just found him on fb but scared to talk to him

I dont get anything

would I qualify

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:33 PM
I'm 1/16 and qualify but feel as if I should not. I don't know enough about my roots and I feel it would be disrespectful.
Cbreland07
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Per capita payments? Ours is a yearly payment basically for being Indian

Quoting .ChiMama.:

What is that?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:34 PM
im 1/8

Quoting Cbreland07:

Different tribes stop at different percentages.. Mine is 1/16

Quoting Anonymous:

no but wish my fam would find out about it. How close do you have to be 1/16th or and eight?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Her mothers family still lives on res in oklahoma. But mom always figured that since she's a "mutt" she wouldn't be able to register

Quoting Cbreland07:

Quoting Anonymous:

No. My mother is half kickapoo, half navajo. Would she be able to register with either tribe?

Cbreland07
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:36 PM
You should be able to qualify but like I said its dependent on the tribe..

Quoting Anonymous:

im 1/8

Quoting Cbreland07:

Different tribes stop at different percentages.. Mine is 1/16

Quoting Anonymous:

no but wish my fam would find out about it. How close do you have to be 1/16th or and eight?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Quoting KelliansMom:

My husband has a rolls card he is Cherokee. They don't get checks. Our old roommate when we lived in Oklahoma was also registered with his tribe (don't remember which) he did get a check every few months or so

my husband is cherokee and he doesnt get anything

Cbreland07
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM
I would say register with the one that her mom still lives on.. Like I said registering with both is some times frowned upon in the tribe (which is ridiculous because the whole point of registration is to have an accurate count of how many are in the tribe) but it won't be an issue to register with either just because she's mixed

Quoting Anonymous:

Her mothers family still lives on res in oklahoma. But mom always figured that since she's a "mutt" she wouldn't be able to register

Quoting Cbreland07:

Quoting Anonymous:

ripemango
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM

not interested in payments but DH is part native american. he wants to find out from which tribe. His mom was either 1/2 or 1/4th. His mom's parents lived in LA. He thinks he is going to have to pay to research it, like through ancestry.com or something. Do you know if there is another way?

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN