Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Registered American Indians??

Posted by   + Show Post
So I'm a registered American Indian of the chtimatchan tribe in Louisiana. Every year I get per capita payments and I'm never met anyone else that gets payments or knows they can. Are their any registered Indians on here that get their per capita payments??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM
My husband gets a percapita check every month.
arabellelynn
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:41 PM
I'm not but my mom is half Cherokee, 1/4 Sioux and 1/4 Creek. No one in her family is registered tho and we don't talk to her Bio fathers side. My maternal gma was adopted off a reservation and back then it was better to be white so there's no proof aside from genetic testing. I don't think I would try to get any dividends, even
if I could. I don't know enough about our culture and we aren't involved in it in anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Not registered. My mamaw always tried to hide our heritage because of the racism against us in our area. :-( to dark for the people in our community, to light for my mamaw's tribe. So we got buttermilk bathes and had to stay out of the sun, dyed our hair lighter, and we weren't allowed to talk about it. I've always wanted to try and get in touch with my family in the tribe but I feel like its going against my mamaw's wishes. :-(
prenatalRN
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I am not Native American but I have a few as friends. They dont get monthly checks but more of several "life time milestone checks" at certain ages and in larger amounts. I know they also get full funding room and board from their tribe when they were in college.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM

My ex was a Choctaw Indian from Oklahoma.  I lived there for years w/ him and I even went on tribal land and such.  They all had tons of benefits.  Free rent, commodities which is free food, free health care, money for school clothes and supplies, money when they got their utilities shut off, help to buy furniture, TVs, free college, etc.....    The saddest thing to me was that while they all accepted the benefits, NONE actually graduated from college, had a career, a nice home, a nice working vehicle etc.....   They had everything handed to them on a silver platter to succeed in life and did nothing but waste it all away.  They were all full Choctaw Indian.  Out of all his Native friends and family I met, only 1 Choctaw guy went and graduated from college, the reason was he fell in love w/ a white girl, and her father would not let them marry unless he graduated college.  This is the reason why he is my ex.  I am not Indian, but I left and went to college, got a career, a nice home and a nice car.  I guess I just had other plans.  

YzmaRocks
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:52 PM
My dad, his siblings, and my grandma all do. I am not enough to count (just 1/8 NA).
msalice_21
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM
I get checks quartly throughout the year from my tribe. But we do have to be apart of the tribe and participate in meetings, events and stay drug free.
AJB163
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM
I don't get money, I'm a registered Chawktaw Indian
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM
I'm 1/16th Cherokee. Would I qualify?
msalice_21
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Totally agree with you about no one works or goes to school. Only a handful.of us graduated and only 3 went to college. 2 dropped out. Im going back in spring. Ill be the only one to own a house and go to school. :(

Quoting Anonymous:

My ex was a Choctaw Indian from Oklahoma.  I lived there for years w/ him and I even went on tribal land and such.  They all had tons of benefits.  Free rent, commodities which is free food, free health care, money for school clothes and supplies, money when they got their utilities shut off, help to buy furniture, TVs, free college, etc.....    The saddest thing to me was that while they all accepted the benefits, NONE actually graduated from college, had a career, a nice home, a nice working vehicle etc.....   They had everything handed to them on a silver platter to succeed in life and did nothing but waste it all away.  They were all full Choctaw Indian.  Out of all his Native friends and family I met, only 1 Choctaw guy went and graduated from college, the reason was he fell in love w/ a white girl, and her father would not let them marry unless he graduated college.  This is the reason why he is my ex.  I am not Indian, but I left and went to college, got a career, a nice home and a nice car.  I guess I just had other plans.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)