Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Registered American Indians??

Posted by   + Show Post
So I'm a registered American Indian of the chtimatchan tribe in Louisiana. Every year I get per capita payments and I'm never met anyone else that gets payments or knows they can. Are their any registered Indians on here that get their per capita payments??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Replies (31-40):
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I've always wondered how they know this?  Is there a blood test?  Or is figured out strictly by tracing geneology?

Quoting Cbreland07:

Different tribes stop at different percentages.. Mine is 1/16

Quoting Anonymous:

no but wish my fam would find out about it. How close do you have to be 1/16th or and eight?

Crashly
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM
It depends in the tribe and the type of treaty they signed whether or not the individuals in the tribe get money. All but one of the tribes around her get payments.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tisha826
by Tisha on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:58 PM
My dad was part cherokee, he's no longer with us. I want to register but have no way to prove anything:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crashly
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM
It's called blood quantum. They don't do an actual blood test but they do trace genealogy. The tricky part is that you can have a lot of native blood but if its from different tribes you may not qualify.

Quoting almondpigeon:

I've always wondered how they know this?  Is there a blood test?  Or is figured out strictly by tracing geneology?

Quoting Cbreland07:

Quoting Anonymous:

no but wish my fam would find out about it. How close do you have to be 1/16th or and eight?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
msalice_21
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Tribes in my area wont accept another member if they are registered or attempted to register in another tribe. We actually wont accept anyone in unless a member had a child. Then they're born in and STILL need 1/3 vote.

Quoting Cbreland07:

Cbreland07
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:01 PM
Tracing geneology back

Quoting almondpigeon:

Quoting Cbreland07:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HaveFaith1215
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Not registered or enrolled although I'd like to be.

I'd like to find out more if I could about my Native ancestry. My mother was Cherokee but her family lost all relevant paperwork back in the late 50's when she was a baby.

They were moving out here to California and my grandfathers old school family thought it was best that they only associate with "whites" and claim no other nationality because they thought it would better my mothers future. They didn't want her to be discriminated against. 

renner450
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM

My mom has been trying since I was born she is full blooded and they only want to claim her as 1/8. Although her cousins were excepted as full. Her uncle(dads bro) was married to her moms first cousin. So her cousins get accepted yet her and her siblings don't. Stupid bullshit, oh and one of our cousins who was considered full blooded got knocked down to half because he wouldnt play a ceremony for them.

Luna091306
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM

My dh is Cheyenne Indian. He gets some sort of payment every year...or twice a year I can't remember.

squeekers
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM

http://www.nrcprograms.org/site/PageServer?pagename=airc_faq

i'm a happy Humanist.
question everything, except your mother.
i dont like to use capital letters.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)