Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Registered American Indians??

Posted by   + Show Post
So I'm a registered American Indian of the chtimatchan tribe in Louisiana. Every year I get per capita payments and I'm never met anyone else that gets payments or knows they can. Are their any registered Indians on here that get their per capita payments??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Replies (41-50):
Luna091306
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I wonder if I could register my ds since dh is registered....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:24 PM
My Dh and my children are registered members of the Sault Ste Marie Chippewa Indian tribe.

They get checks when they turn 62.

If we lived in one of the 8(?) Countys in the U.P. my Dh and children could get a lot of things: Free health care, college, no gas tax, no cigarette tax (not that that matters to us), no sales tax, lower property tax and a refund on our income taxes.

They are making it very hard not to want to move up there, unfortunately there really isn't to many jobs up there. We are thinking about buying a home up there and living up there during the winter. (dh doesn't really work in the winters) Then maybe he can network and find a good job up there.
MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:27 PM
I am registered with the turtle mountain band of Chippewa Indians and don't get shit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babymama8787
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM

im native american yauqi, i was adopted and they said i was mexican.. i found my birth mother and she is full yauqi and my dad was half. im looking into trying to get registered

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM
You can call the number on the back of his card and find out.
Like my Dh's tribe is only taking under 18 members. (That have enough Indian blood to qualify)

If your over 18 they only have open enrollment every couple years and you have to really jump threw hoops.

Quoting Luna091306:

t1gger143
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM
A guy I went to high school with, his dad kept it a secret from him until he was 30. There was 500,000 in his account. So he now owns 3 homes in my neighborhood. Dh has need looked into it.
Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM

My Great-Grandparents passed for white and left the reservations behind. The lines of descent were not matrilineal (matrilineal descent was the only one that counted for these tribes). I was raised with the traditions and the cultures of only one of the four tribes I descended from; my Grandmother was half Irish half Penobscot, and my Grandfather was a quarter Mohawk and a mix of Scots, English, and French. We were raised Mohawk, Scots, and Irish.

When I research our genealogy, I concentrate on those three, because those are the cultures I learned.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Dh's great grandmother was half Cherokee and half apache but I'm not sure how it works being recognized as native American and he doesn't get money or even if he qualifies to get it
Cbreland07
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:37 PM
See we don't have to be active members but we only get the per capita payments yearly, if I were to move onto our reservation, housing, schooling, and medical would be free. If I had gone to college that would have been paid for but I chose to be a stay at home mom

Quoting msalice_21:

I get checks quartly throughout the year from my tribe. But we do have to be apart of the tribe and participate in meetings, events and stay drug free.

Luna091306
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM

He's only 5 months. I just spoke to dh and asked him about it. He's apparently only 1/4 and doesn't think ds would qualify because his brother tried to register his son and wasn't able to.

Quoting Anonymous:

You can call the number on the back of his card and find out.
Like my Dh's tribe is only taking under 18 members. (That have enough Indian blood to qualify)

If your over 18 they only have open enrollment every couple years and you have to really jump threw hoops.

Quoting Luna091306:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)