Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am so pissed and afraid im going to court!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

My family just moved out of an apartment and into our first house. 

when we moved out, i told them i would probably not get my deposit back because i did not have time to clean and i was sorry. they said that was fine. (of course its fine, thats 800 in deposit and then a 300 pet deposit) 

I didnt leave the apartment in HORRIBLE condition. at ALL. i grew up military. i grew up all my life knowing that when you move, you clean. i didnt fully clean but i didnt leave it terrible. 

that was in october. we signed out of the lease and turned the keys in on oct 23, and moved into our new place that weekend. 

they called me this morning, YELLING AT ME, and being VERY RUDE saying i owed them another 1200$ and bitching that i didnt clean. i tried to be calm. but she kept going and going and repeating herself about the deposits. i said I TOLD YOU that i didnt clean, and that i was FINE with not getting my deposit back. she kept saying over and over 'well you are NOT getting your deposit back' i kept saying "I KNOW!!"

i finally got tired of it, and the last time she said 'you owe us 1200$" i said 'you know what, i dont owe you SHIT, i paid EVERYHTING up to date when we moved out, you have ALL of my deposits, if you would like to take me to court then GO FOR IT" 

now im freaked out. if we go to court, they could very well lie about a lot. because i dont have any proof. i dont have pictures of the apartment when we moved out. i dont have any paperwork from the day we moved out, they didnt give me anything. i just signed the paper, said thank you, and left. 

and this isnt the first time ive heard of this from this management site. a neighbor moved out a few months ago and said she was having a LOT Of problems with them harrassing her about MORE money, AFTER they kept her deposits. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I just needed a vent. thanks all

JLS2388
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Generally, unless they can prove that you did damage above what the depost would cost to fix, they can't go after you for more. Deposits are for the general wear and tear

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:20 PM

yeah i dont think we did. we were only there for a year after all. we took pretty good care of it. 

young_lv_mom
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM

If you still talk to the neighbor ask them to go with you to court as a witness if needed, do you have any pics of the inside from around the time you moved (ones you take of your kid(s) or pet(s), and ask for proof on why they need so much, as in estimate repairs and such. GL and from now on always take before and after pictures, it has saved me money in the past.

Oh and did you fill out a form before you moved in about every thing wrong with the apartment before moving in? If so did you fill out all out with all scrapes and missing items? If you did that will work for you.

mamom01
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:28 PM

They also have to itemize where every single penny of your deposit went. 

evelynolivesmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:35 PM

They have to prove all costs with itemized receipts and not handwritten ones from maintenance etc... You are entitled to all of your deposit based on time you lived there, stipulations in the lease etc... Cleaning should cost anywhere from $50.00-$200.00 and that should include carpet cleaning. They have to pro-rate your costs on anything they had to replace, unless it was new when you moved in. Do some research, call some lawyers. 

angevil53
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:32 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. Let this be a lesson to always do a walk through with the manager.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN