Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do you think it is so crazy? *EDIT*

Posted by   + Show Post

To prepare & have a plan for "the end of the world as we know it"... 

**EDIT**

By "the end of the world as we know it", I do not mean the world imploding destroying every life on the planet, nor do I mean the human race being wiped out in out one big sweep.  Obviously no one would ever prepare for that because there would be no point.  

Obviously the people preparing are preparing for things they know they can survive if properly prepared.  

Things such as weather related disasters, a great depression or total economic collapse, mabye even just poverty, martial law, a war, an emp, whatever.   Whatever the person "preparing" feels would end their world as they know it-not totally end their world, just end it as they know it, change it permanently in a diasterous way a way so different it ended their world and a totally different world began.  

So, that is mostly directed to anyone who has commented or is planning on commenting by saying something like, "Its crazy because there is no point, if the world ends it ends."....Well, no that scenario is entirely different, your are thinking of the end of the world as in BAM-GONE, im  referencing the world as we know it ending...Two completely different things.

Preparing doesn't mean im afraid, or paranoid, or crazy, or not living in the present, or that I must be sacrificing time with my family.

I lead a painfully normal life, getting my family to be self sufficient and able to rely only on ourselves to have our needs met in the very small chance that anything epic-ly horrible would happen truly is not a time suck at all.  Im sure many of you spend more time in the salon than it would take to become self reliant.  

& No, im not referencing that television show Doomsday Preppers- those are extremists and as far as normal prepping goes for the average american, they are not even in the realm of reality and this is why they have their own television show.  They are not an accurate depiction of someone who wants to be prepared.

My philosophy:  "Like a condom I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

or the other popular, "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst."

or if you prefer a little Ben Franklin: "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail."

and the ever so common, "Better safe than sorry"

So I just wanted to edit that in and offer up my input...I was not very methodical about my responses to people, im sorry.  I got busy and threw in responses at random and then I got back to it, and I just...I messed it all up. lol.  

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Replies (141-150):
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Those were just some examples.  No im not on the coast.  Generally making oneself equipped and skilled enough to be able to live comfortably with absoltuely zero outside help is enough to prepare for almost any kind of disaster.  One can certainly prepare for situations beyond our control, it is not foolish to think you are prepared.  Whats foolish is to not even try.  

I can say confidently that my family is quite self sufficient and "prepared" for almost anything.  Time consuming?  Not at all.  I hardly even think about it and dedicate quite little time to it.  What time is spent is extremely fun family time and more skill based.

It seems what so many are failing to understand-the ones claiming, "oh how sad, they should live in the present..."...Much of prepping is an after thought of many people already present way of life.  

We spend much of our free time hunting game to eat in the present, putting aside a portion for long term consumption is called jerky.  

We are all competitive shooters that enter tournaments in the summer, this requires target practice, this requires reloading our own ammo, needs to be done anyway, may as well set aside a portion to keep in stock.  

We enjoy family camping trips, its fun to do it as primitively as possible and practice our survival skills.  Like making a camp fire with flint instead of a torch, seeing who can catch a fish first without a pole, who can make the most effective trap.  Everyone loves it and its tons of fun that teaching many skills that I think are important to know.  

This post is the most ive talked about it ever I think, and its really opened my mind to peoples preconcieved notions and misconceptions of it.  Im a very normal person, very normal family (for my demographic).  So this has been an eye opener...Apparently the suburbia and rural living really are more distant than I thought.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Well I think most of that is just silly. A tornado, fine. Make a shelter in your basement with some basic foods to last a little while, a blanket, stuff like that. California falling off the map, well, if you live on the coast, your only option to "prepare" is to sell your house. If you don't move, then regardless of your preparations, when your home disappears, you're pretty screwed. Situations beyond your control, such as that, are impossible to fully prepare for, and to tell yourself you're prepared for anything like that is foolish. You're not prepared, and as long as you stay where you are, you'll never be fully prepared. But even if that happened, it wouldn't be the end of the world. It would be the end of California. The rest of us would go on. Preparations and the amount thereof are solely dependent on where you live and what your concerns are. If you're going to prepare for anything, don't claim you're prepared until you've covered ALL your bases. And that is highly unlikely that someone will be able to do that. And only then, they have most likely devoted much of their lives to this cause. That is sad because that means they have missed out on so much more in life than to prepare for the worst. Live your life in the present.

Quoting Matriarch87:

Well, I dont think id have to be more specific because "preparing" for all of it is pretty much all encompassing...I mean, prepping for something as small as tornado destroying the town or something as big as California falling off the map from an earth quake or the entire US economical collapse......I mean, all of the disasters point to being as self sufficient as possible.  Food, water, skills, and a plan.  Im a big believer in people ought to be ready for just about anything.  Granted if it was a nuclear war with radiation, I would probably be fucked, I just dont have the means to prep for something like that and I am highly doubtful of that scenario, but just about anything else people are quite able to prep for. 

I realize now a lot of the argueing about it is the ginormous misunderstanding between the end of the world and the end of the world as we know it...Of course everyone who leaves out the as we know it part would think anyone preparing for anything in advance is stupid.  Just like the ones setting their family up for independence in the event of some disaster think everyone who thinks its stupid is stupid.  lol...

I think most anyone with a brain stem thinks its a wise idea to prepare for disaster as it suits your family.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Well the whole Jesus coming and burning everyone to death and taking whoever was good or whatever, that one if it goes according to "god's plan", would be pointless to prepare for. But there are many different "as we know it" ones. At this point in everyones lives, I'd be more afraid of the technological end. People are much too dependent on technology, and that would be just as detrimental as a zombie apocalypse, or  the Mayan calendar ending, or when whoever else says the world will end. There is no specific "as we know it" end, because there are so many different opinions on what will happen. You'd have to be more specific.

Quoting Matriarch87:

The "as we know it" one....

Not the end of the human races christian apocalypse one.

Quoting Anonymous:

I guess that depends on which "End of the World" you're talking about...

Quoting Matriarch87:

Why would someone who is prepared be screwed?   I cannot think of anything more productive that learning and practicing self sufficiency & preservation.  

Quoting Anonymous:

You SHOULD be able to come up with more productive things to do with your life than to worry about something that is probably not going to happen in your lifetime and IF it does, you're screwed anyway so why bother preparing for it?

D.O.E.
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:51 PM

he sounds like such a wonderful loving god.

Quoting SaraLovesEli29:

The reason God promised not to flood the world again, is because next time the world will end in fire. And that IS His promise to mankind. And in no way shape or form can we change that. When it's done it's done.

Quoting D.O.E.:

i know right? **hair flip** so there really is no need to think we are all going to die, biblically, god promised not to flood the earth and attempt to kill all mankind again, so that was nice of him. the only change i can see realistically happening, is that the world powers will shift. right now canada is making trade agreements with pan asian countries, why? well because we no longer have faith in the European and American Economies, and see Africa, India, and Brazil as our best bet for new trading partners. these are the emerging "super economies"  and due to the economic collapse in Europe and possible complete collapse in America, (fiscal cliff pending) the way the world works is changing. and of COURSE there will be wars, for there is money to be made in bloodshed, it's good for the economy of struggling countries. 

Quoting Matriarch87:

Yes thank you, fantastic perspective.  

Quoting D.O.E.:

change is inevitable. "the end" can also be looked at as "the beginning" for in order to build a new home where an old one stands, the old home must first be destroyed, and torn down. during the the time of destruction, there will be stress and sadness, and it may truly seem like "the end of the world" but in reality, those hardships must be faced in order for things to get better. this is how i choose to perceive the "end of the world" not so much the complete destruction and annihilation of the human race, but a shift in the powers that be and the way the world is governed. i am sure that when the Roman Empire fell, many saw it as "the end of the world" as well.

Quoting Matriarch87:

I dont know if anything will happen...Im not stressed, shoot im like the least stressed person ever im a totally relaxed laid back person.  

Quoting Anonymous:

How do you know its really going to happen? Why stress and prepare for something that might not happen al all?

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Its not crazy, sure some people are crazy, but preparing for some kind of disaster is not crazy, and honestly im stunned by a lot of the people saying it is...Id get a military grade survival book, then start a hobby of practicing the things in it, like identifying edible food, or making traps, or whatever else is in there that you think might be fun.  If you cant stock up on stuff, its at the very least wise to have "skills", and they are fun to learn for the whole family...sorta like having your own boy scouts group lol.  

Quoting MrsFlores_2006:

I dont think its crazy... i often think of this, and tell my self, boy are we screwed of shit hit the fan... little to none prep at this house =/

MrsFlores_2006
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:56 PM

that actually sounds like fun

Quoting Matriarch87:

Its not crazy, sure some people are crazy, but preparing for some kind of disaster is not crazy, and honestly im stunned by a lot of the people saying it is...Id get a military grade survival book, then start a hobby of practicing the things in it, like identifying edible food, or making traps, or whatever else is in there that you think might be fun.  If you cant stock up on stuff, its at the very least wise to have "skills", and they are fun to learn for the whole family...sorta like having your own boy scouts group lol.  

Quoting MrsFlores_2006:

I dont think its crazy... i often think of this, and tell my self, boy are we screwed of shit hit the fan... little to none prep at this house =/

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I figure if anything apocalyptic happens I'm screwed so I don't plan. At least not beyond some shotguns :)

Quoting Matriarch87:

I cant remember if I replied to you or not i have been very unorganized in my responses to this post... : /  

What do I think will happen to end the current state of our world???

A) Maybe nothing will happen...probably nothing will happen.

B) Could be as small as a tornado or as big as war...Idk...I just think it is wise to be as self sufficient as possible to cover as many what ifs as possible.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

What do you think will happen to do this?

Quoting Matriarch87:

Well I dont think it will wipe out the human race, only end the current state of our world.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Well I assume it would have to be pretty horrible to wipe out the entire human race.

Quoting Matriarch87:

well, sounds like you have a much more dramatic idea of the world ending as we know it than I do...lol...

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

It is so crazy I cannot even explain why. If the world ends, there's not going to be enough bunkers, guns, and mre's to save you. Plus why on Earth wold you want to survive that?

lowencope
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM
I think it's good to be prepared for survival in the event of a natural disaster however the end is the end... I guess get some death counseling?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 2:06 PM

It is : )  Think of how fun it is to just go camping or enjoying a nature hike/walk in the woods right?  This type of stuff just makes it more fun, I think anyway.  My family likes to go walking along the river, thats fun and all by itself, but adding a different element to it makes it more fun I think and also educational.  I have a pocket size book of edible plants and we make a game out of it, if we go for a hike or plan a picnic whoever can gather the most of different edible plants wins : )  

Quoting MrsFlores_2006:

that actually sounds like fun

Quoting Matriarch87:

Quoting MrsFlores_2006:

SaraLovesEli29
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:04 PM
Well think what you want, but I believe He is.

Quoting D.O.E.:

he sounds like such a wonderful loving god.

Quoting SaraLovesEli29:

The reason God promised not to flood the world again, is because next time the world will end in fire. And that IS His promise to mankind. And in no way shape or form can we change that. When it's done it's done.

Quoting D.O.E.:

i know right? **hair flip** so there really is no need to think we are all going to die, biblically, god promised not to flood the earth and attempt to kill all mankind again, so that was nice of him. the only change i can see realistically happening, is that the world powers will shift. right now canada is making trade agreements with pan asian countries, why? well because we no longer have faith in the European and American Economies, and see Africa, India, and Brazil as our best bet for new trading partners. these are the emerging "super economies"  and due to the economic collapse in Europe and possible complete collapse in America, (fiscal cliff pending) the way the world works is changing. and of COURSE there will be wars, for there is money to be made in bloodshed, it's good for the economy of struggling countries. 

Quoting Matriarch87:

Yes thank you, fantastic perspective.  

Quoting D.O.E.:

change is inevitable. "the end" can also be looked at as "the beginning" for in order to build a new home where an old one stands, the old home must first be destroyed, and torn down. during the the time of destruction, there will be stress and sadness, and it may truly seem like "the end of the world" but in reality, those hardships must be faced in order for things to get better. this is how i choose to perceive the "end of the world" not so much the complete destruction and annihilation of the human race, but a shift in the powers that be and the way the world is governed. i am sure that when the Roman Empire fell, many saw it as "the end of the world" as well.

Quoting Matriarch87:

I dont know if anything will happen...Im not stressed, shoot im like the least stressed person ever im a totally relaxed laid back person.  

Quoting Anonymous:

How do you know its really going to happen? Why stress and prepare for something that might not happen al all?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Quoting Matriarch87:

Well, if your city went nuts and you were home it would be a good idea to have a bug out bag in your house or in your 4WD vehicle.  Obviously you wouldn't want to stay or have the means to stay long if "the shit hit the fan"...So if I were you, i would have a supply kit ready to go stored somewhere, and have an alternative location better equiped.

The thing about "prepping" is doing it to suit your needs.  Most of the popular survivalist authors simply recommend people become independent before anything happend (get out of the city.)...But if thats not possible (i know its not), then a few skills need to be learned and a survival pack of some kind to get you from A to B without having to stop, B should be close enough to get to on a single tank of gas.  

Little things like that that are apparently uncomfortable for some to ponder, but are easy enough they ought to be done "just in case".  

Quoting Not_A_Native:

All of these "preppers" assume you live where there ARE woods, and game, and areas to plant gardens.  Sorry, I've never lived in any of those places (ok, I do have a small garden, but mostly just for spices).

Sorry, it posted before I finished. 

I live in a major metropolitan area, always have.  We do not have hurricanes, or tornados, or floods (well, no floods by us up 750 feet).  We are prone to earthquakes, so yes, I prepare for those but I am cognizant of the fact that the chances are good that I will not be home, and all of our family will be in different places.  Two of my kids don't even live in the state (one just went throuh the hurricane in NYC).  Another "lives" here, but attends college 200 miles away.

So - what else?  War?  Yeah, it could happen, and I've known that since I was a kid (lived through the Cuban missle crisis as a 7 year old, with a father who was convinced we'd be at war by the end of the week).  We have a gun - a handgun - for protection.  No "game" to go after around here.  We have money - cash - always helpful.  We keep gas in our vehicles, and one is a 4wd.

But I have to be realistic here.  I live in a "suburb" of over 100K people.  Next to a city of over 3 million.  Having some canned goods in my basement (oh, whoops, we don't have basements around here) wouldn't do much good.

Well, see, thats the thing.  My car (diesel) gets close to a 500 mile range.  The truck doesn't - lucky to get 350.  My father has a house in a small town in southern OR (well, ok, all towns are small in southern OR, lol), that is fully stocked.  My father was (and is) one of the original preppers from the 50's. Another 400 miles, and I'd be at hi house he lives in (big city).  Another 600 mies, and I'd be at my son's house in San Diego.   Oh, and my father keeps diesel fuel at his house in OR (all his vehicles are diesel, plus he has another vehicle there).

On the other hand, if I need to get out of the country, I'm 150 miles from the Canadian border (and we have Canadian money stashed as well).  Oh, and did I mention that both my husband and father have pilots licenses?

Now, none of those things are very likely.  What is MOST likely around here is an earthquake, and I went through the Loma Prieta one in CA in 1989. Cash was king - if you had that you could get anything else.  Debit cards, credit cards - useless without power.  No landlines working.  No radio stations still on the air (except for one lonely jazz station that usually never had anyone listenig - all the transmission towers were knocked out.

The thing about earthquakes is, there is no notice.  Rarely are we all home at the same time (actually, we're all out a lot period).

Skills?  Honey, my dad was the original prepper!  I have skills people haven't even heard of!  No need to use them for quite awhile,but they're there

So, we keep gas tanks fairly full.  Food in the house.  Extra blankets in the house.  Cell phones with us (they were the only things working after the big earthquake).  Extra water.  Extra meds.  First aid kits in all the cars and at home, and all of us are trained in first aid.  We keep cash - both in cars and at home.  So, I feel pretty good about it, because we have a PLAN - and thats the first thing you have to have.

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Well then you are quite prepared.  Sorry if my comment was off base, considering your first comment you gave me the impression you were on the side that proposes preparedness is silly and unrealistic.  When its quite apparent you are very prepared.  

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Quoting Matriarch87:

Well, if your city went nuts and you were home it would be a good idea to have a bug out bag in your house or in your 4WD vehicle.  Obviously you wouldn't want to stay or have the means to stay long if "the shit hit the fan"...So if I were you, i would have a supply kit ready to go stored somewhere, and have an alternative location better equiped.

The thing about "prepping" is doing it to suit your needs.  Most of the popular survivalist authors simply recommend people become independent before anything happend (get out of the city.)...But if thats not possible (i know its not), then a few skills need to be learned and a survival pack of some kind to get you from A to B without having to stop, B should be close enough to get to on a single tank of gas.  

Little things like that that are apparently uncomfortable for some to ponder, but are easy enough they ought to be done "just in case".  

Quoting Not_A_Native:

All of these "preppers" assume you live where there ARE woods, and game, and areas to plant gardens.  Sorry, I've never lived in any of those places (ok, I do have a small garden, but mostly just for spices).

Sorry, it posted before I finished. 

I live in a major metropolitan area, always have.  We do not have hurricanes, or tornados, or floods (well, no floods by us up 750 feet).  We are prone to earthquakes, so yes, I prepare for those but I am cognizant of the fact that the chances are good that I will not be home, and all of our family will be in different places.  Two of my kids don't even live in the state (one just went throuh the hurricane in NYC).  Another "lives" here, but attends college 200 miles away.

So - what else?  War?  Yeah, it could happen, and I've known that since I was a kid (lived through the Cuban missle crisis as a 7 year old, with a father who was convinced we'd be at war by the end of the week).  We have a gun - a handgun - for protection.  No "game" to go after around here.  We have money - cash - always helpful.  We keep gas in our vehicles, and one is a 4wd.

But I have to be realistic here.  I live in a "suburb" of over 100K people.  Next to a city of over 3 million.  Having some canned goods in my basement (oh, whoops, we don't have basements around here) wouldn't do much good.

Well, see, thats the thing.  My car (diesel) gets close to a 500 mile range.  The truck doesn't - lucky to get 350.  My father has a house in a small town in southern OR (well, ok, all towns are small in southern OR, lol), that is fully stocked.  My father was (and is) one of the original preppers from the 50's. Another 400 miles, and I'd be at hi house he lives in (big city).  Another 600 mies, and I'd be at my son's house in San Diego.   Oh, and my father keeps diesel fuel at his house in OR (all his vehicles are diesel, plus he has another vehicle there).

On the other hand, if I need to get out of the country, I'm 150 miles from the Canadian border (and we have Canadian money stashed as well).  Oh, and did I mention that both my husband and father have pilots licenses?

Now, none of those things are very likely.  What is MOST likely around here is an earthquake, and I went through the Loma Prieta one in CA in 1989. Cash was king - if you had that you could get anything else.  Debit cards, credit cards - useless without power.  No landlines working.  No radio stations still on the air (except for one lonely jazz station that usually never had anyone listenig - all the transmission towers were knocked out.

The thing about earthquakes is, there is no notice.  Rarely are we all home at the same time (actually, we're all out a lot period).

Skills?  Honey, my dad was the original prepper!  I have skills people haven't even heard of!  No need to use them for quite awhile,but they're there

So, we keep gas tanks fairly full.  Food in the house.  Extra blankets in the house.  Cell phones with us (they were the only things working after the big earthquake).  Extra water.  Extra meds.  First aid kits in all the cars and at home, and all of us are trained in first aid.  We keep cash - both in cars and at home.  So, I feel pretty good about it, because we have a PLAN - and thats the first thing you have to have.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN