Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do you think it is so crazy? *EDIT*

Posted by   + Show Post

To prepare & have a plan for "the end of the world as we know it"... 

**EDIT**

By "the end of the world as we know it", I do not mean the world imploding destroying every life on the planet, nor do I mean the human race being wiped out in out one big sweep.  Obviously no one would ever prepare for that because there would be no point.  

Obviously the people preparing are preparing for things they know they can survive if properly prepared.  

Things such as weather related disasters, a great depression or total economic collapse, mabye even just poverty, martial law, a war, an emp, whatever.   Whatever the person "preparing" feels would end their world as they know it-not totally end their world, just end it as they know it, change it permanently in a diasterous way a way so different it ended their world and a totally different world began.  

So, that is mostly directed to anyone who has commented or is planning on commenting by saying something like, "Its crazy because there is no point, if the world ends it ends."....Well, no that scenario is entirely different, your are thinking of the end of the world as in BAM-GONE, im  referencing the world as we know it ending...Two completely different things.

Preparing doesn't mean im afraid, or paranoid, or crazy, or not living in the present, or that I must be sacrificing time with my family.

I lead a painfully normal life, getting my family to be self sufficient and able to rely only on ourselves to have our needs met in the very small chance that anything epic-ly horrible would happen truly is not a time suck at all.  Im sure many of you spend more time in the salon than it would take to become self reliant.  

& No, im not referencing that television show Doomsday Preppers- those are extremists and as far as normal prepping goes for the average american, they are not even in the realm of reality and this is why they have their own television show.  They are not an accurate depiction of someone who wants to be prepared.

My philosophy:  "Like a condom I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

or the other popular, "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst."

or if you prefer a little Ben Franklin: "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail."

and the ever so common, "Better safe than sorry"

So I just wanted to edit that in and offer up my input...I was not very methodical about my responses to people, im sorry.  I got busy and threw in responses at random and then I got back to it, and I just...I messed it all up. lol.  

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Replies (31-40):
jillbailey26
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:40 PM

How do you know your life would change very little?  Can you see into the future?

Quoting Matriarch87:

Oh it wouldn't be a miracle & of course I would.  Why wouldn't I?  My life would change very little, it would be the same except for modern day luxuries, different hobbies and much less company.  

Quoting jillbailey26:

Let's say, by some miracle, you do make it through this "end of the world" mess.  You hide in a bunker and you survive.  Would you want to live in the world that would exist after that point?

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I dont know if you mean post apocolyptic literally or not.  I do not think an apocalypse will happen...Honestly im more likely to believe the economy will crash and there will be terrible depression, maybe an emp, some terrible weather.  Who knows, but I do not think any religious predictions will occur.  IF anything were to happen i believe it would be a terrible depression and/or total economic collapse.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you really want to live in a post apocolypitc world? I don't.

Quoting Matriarch87:

Wanting to live does not mean you are afraid to die, what an absurd assumption.  Especially coming from a Christian.  

Quoting jillbailey26:

Because not everyone is afraid to die.

Quoting Matriarch87:

Why do you think in the event of catastrophic disaster everyone should give up any will to survive?  That is what I take from your "when its over it is over" statement.  If that isn't what you mean, please elaborate...I have never understood the lay down and day mentality...To prepare for surviving the worst and being there to rebuild- to live.  

Quoting beerabitch69:

When it's over it's over. What is there to prepare for?

Charweba
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I don't think it's crazy. Rather be safe than sorry

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Can you?  If not, then why on earth would you think being ready for a disaster of any magnitude big or small would be futile?  

Quoting jillbailey26:

How do you know your life would change very little?  Can you see into the future?

Quoting Matriarch87:

Oh it wouldn't be a miracle & of course I would.  Why wouldn't I?  My life would change very little, it would be the same except for modern day luxuries, different hobbies and much less company.  

Quoting jillbailey26:

Let's say, by some miracle, you do make it through this "end of the world" mess.  You hide in a bunker and you survive.  Would you want to live in the world that would exist after that point?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:43 PM
When it ends, it ends. God only knows tho and I'm going to enjoy my time here on earth instead wasting my time preparing for it.
D.O.E.
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM

i do not believe in the end of the world, but i believe in catacalysmic change. best way to describe it is as described in my tarot deck, actually.

Death is the thirteenth card, and renders 'total change'. The Death figure wears Osiris' helmet, linking it to the previous card. This is the resurrection - the Hanged Man has been through the agony, and now there is rebirth; the redemption, the salvation, the change had come to pass. Death is the ultimate operative of the natural cycle, destruction being the force in nature that paves way for the new. Change occurs in life, whether desired or not. This has to be met with acceptance. The card also signifies alchemical transformation, and life and death are illusions from a perspective superior to the human senses. To the universe, as a concept of all-there-is, no matter or energy has 'left' it when an organism dies.

the tower also describes it perfectly;

. The next card, the Tower, brings a mocking light over this, a light that reveals the meaninglessness of the structures, the emptiness of every aspect of that ordered life. The individual is not only down, but kicked by the knowledge that his or her life is worthless and that to pretend it was significant would be a terrible act of bad faith. The Tower is destructive in that it attacks the substance of the person's life, each and every compartment of it. All is hurt.

When all is hurt, there is nothing left to injure, so the traveller passes on to the Star. This is safety. The Tower overcomes the Devil because the Devil is materiality. The experience of theTower makes the individual put no faith in the material world. The quester is thus safe within him or herself, and this is the inner calm and ease of the Star. The figure on the card has unsung the crystal blocks at her feet, which are the old age dogmas, now useless. The Star is the herald of a New Age, or so Frieda Harris thought.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM
Well you're in for a rude awakening when the end does come... just sayin'.

Quoting Matriarch87:

I dont know if you mean post apocolyptic literally or not.  I do not think an apocalypse will happen...Honestly im more likely to believe the economy will crash and there will be terrible depression, maybe an emp, some terrible weather.  Who knows, but I do not think any religious predictions will occur.  IF anything were to happen i believe it would be a terrible depression and/or total economic collapse.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you really want to live in a post apocolypitc world? I don't.

Quoting Matriarch87:

Wanting to live does not mean you are afraid to die, what an absurd assumption.  Especially coming from a Christian.  

Quoting jillbailey26:

Because not everyone is afraid to die.

Quoting Matriarch87:

Why do you think in the event of catastrophic disaster everyone should give up any will to survive?  That is what I take from your "when its over it is over" statement.  If that isn't what you mean, please elaborate...I have never understood the lay down and day mentality...To prepare for surviving the worst and being there to rebuild- to live.  

Quoting beerabitch69:

When it's over it's over. What is there to prepare for?

jillbailey26
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I can't, which is why I don't worry about it.  It will be out of my control.  

We're prepared for whatever we're prepared for.  If we die, we die.  If we live, we live.  It'll work out however it needs to.

Quoting Matriarch87:

Can you?  If not, then why on earth would you think being ready for a disaster of any magnitude big or small would be futile?  

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting Matriarch87:

Quoting jillbailey26:

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Chya, its not time consuming is it!?  Just a little more each day.  Pffft, I think its been FUN.  My son and I practice our skills, stuff like making a fire, a shelter, identifying plant life., building traps.  Things like that.  

Quoting NiCo86:

were prepared and preparing more each day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM

You SHOULD be able to come up with more productive things to do with your life than to worry about something that is probably not going to happen in your lifetime and IF it does, you're screwed anyway so why bother preparing for it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)