Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you say something if someone is rude to your children?

Posted by   + Show Post
We were picking up our turkey today and standing in front of the meat counter. My 10 year old wanted to feel how heavy the turkey was so he went to the side of the cart to try and lift it.

We didn't see her coming, but a lady came up needing to get by. It would have been no big deal. The place was packed and there was little room to maneuver.

My son would have gladly got out of her way if he had seen her. Our first indication of her was her pushing her cart up to him very quickly and closely and rudely saying, "Watch out!"

It seriously pissed me off. Just because he is a kid doesn't make it okay for her to be rude. I looked up at her and said, "'Excuse me' would have been nicer words to use."

Why do people get so mean during the holidays?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Replies (51-60):
othermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I doubt I would have said anything. People can be rude or in a rush during the holidays. A lady today at the store stopped and was looking at some stuff in a spot that made it so people could barely squeese past. I managed to get past and stood and waited for her to move while other people sqeezed past/

BluePandaDreams
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:59 PM
And people complain about rude children. I would said something as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jyofray
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I got in her face and started cussin' like a sailor. Once I heard that- I saw red. I am not the best when it comes to someone (anyone) saying or doing things to my kids. I wasn't proud of how I reacted but that woman and everyone else got the idea not to mess with MY children :)

TAG_ur_it
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:01 PM

when people decide to be rude and shove past me, even if it's kids, i always say, 'oh no.. excuse ME"   i make it a point to say excuse me if i have to walk by or in front of someone in an aisle.  but if someone is rude to me or is just sitting there blocking the whole aisle and not even trying to shop, i'll say something. 

moneysaver6
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a Christian too, but firmly believe there is nothing wrong with expecting others to show children respect...or at the least to not be flat out rude or hateful to them.

Besides a couple of times where I've said something about language to someone, the only other time I've had an "issue" with rudeness was a Christmas many years ago when my children were younger.  She got MAD at my children because they wouldn't play along with her and agree that Santa was real.  Seriously, lady?  LOL  I asked her to please be respectful of my children's beliefs and to please treat them kindness even if she didn't like or agree with what they were saying.

And with one exception every time I said something to someone about language, they were profusely apologetic and truly had just not thought about there being kids around.  I wasn't mean or upset to them...I just kindly and politely reminded them that there were kids around.  The other time...heaven help that woman.  She needs it!

Quoting 3lilladies81:

I am a Christian so I always try to mind my words and actions, however when it comes to my children I have a tendency to "lose my religion" Lol I am very much a momma bear

moneysaver6
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Oh my gosh.  Oh my gosh.  Just reading that makes me angry!!!!  I've got to admit, I don't know that I would have been nice in my response to her.  And that's saying a lot for me.

My son's best friend is autistic.  He's high functioning, but not as high functioning as someone with Aspergers.  He talks REALLY slowly.  He will answer you, but there may be a several minute pause before he starts answering and pauses in between.  It takes his brain a long time to process.  Most don't mind, but we've seen some cruelty towards him from other kids.  It's heartbreaking...but at least it's kids.  I think I might blow a top if an adult did anything but smile politely while he answered.  And he's not even my son.  Well, he seems like a 2nd son he's here so much.  :-)

Quoting jyofray:

I would with out a doubt say something. I had an elderly woman say something that actually broke my heart and with no hesitation I got in her face in rage. I have an autistic seven year old. He is severe on the spectrum and we proudly wear Tshirts like "if you keep staring you just might cure my Autism" and " I have Autism, what's your excuse". That kinda thing. Long story short we were in the check out line and she said pretty loudly " aawe look she's proud of her retard". Needless to say I let my anger get the best of me but I think people definitely need to be aware that these are our CHILDREN... smh rude jerks smh

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:42 PM
Haha yea I have done this more than once it felt even better than going off on them would have :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Idk but if my kid notices then I say something. If they've already moved on I say very loudly, some people are so rude (insert child's name) you would never act like that would you? They're horrible, how embarrassing hu? So old and still never learned manners. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:44 PM

She sounds like she was fat, was she fat? Usualy only fat people get rude around food.

HaloWithHorns78
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Hell yeah I do. I hate rude people and I will call them out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nebraskamamaof2
by Chuck on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:47 PM
Yes I would've said something to her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN