Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Seriously? She's 3! Why Isn't She Potty Trained, Slacker?

Now that I got your attention......lol

I'm potty training my 3 year old. I make sure she gets lots of fluids through out the day, etc, etc....but it's almost like she's holding her pee.

Is that normal? I seems like my now 8 year old just took to the potty like a boss, so I don't remember this happening.

We've been training for 3 days and so far, she's kicking ass and taking names. I've only had to change her one time today and that was my fault (I was using the bathroom and didn't get up fast enough). But any tips?

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:15 PM
Replies (31-40):
outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:30 PM
I'll have to try. I resorted to skittles and she still refuses.

Quoting wittyscreenname:

Does she like pennies? Mine does, so I give her pennies when she goes.

Quoting outtamymynd:

I'm having the same issue. NOTHING is working with her. My other three had no issues. I don't know what to do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wittyscreenname
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

She use to be like that too and I just gave up and let her do her thing. She started talking about wanting to go to school (she'll be 4 in August) with her brother and sister and that kinda spurred the start of this.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

My girl will be 3 in january. She holds it too. She sat there and cried and begged for a diaper for 6 1/2 hours the last time we tried. When I finally gave in and gave her a potty, she peed all at once and then pooped. 

I'm ready to give up.  

wittyscreenname
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Thanks!

Quoting AshleyMommi:

You don't have to explain yourself to the anon, mama.

It's rough when they aren't into it! I'm sure you're doing great.

Quoting wittyscreenname:

I've tried potty training in the past and she just wasn't having it. I'm not just taking the diaper off and letting her piss all over the place. I have carpets in the majority of my house.

I let HER let me know when she was ready to potty train....My oldest DD was around the same age when she was potty trained, my son was 4. I wasn't going to force her into doing something she didn't want to do. For a long time, she would freak out at the thought of using the potty.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is no excuse for a 3 year old to not be potty trained, unless they have some sort of other issue.

Take her diapers off and that's it. If she has an accident, have her clean it up. She is old enough now that there is no reason for her not to potty trained.

Check out my blog The Mommy Chronicles
Like us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter @MomyChronicles

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM

my son drinks all day long, if he has to really go and you refuse to go with, he will go then so he doesnt pee, but for some reason he just enjoys going when everyone else does. 

whats really awesome though about this whole thing is if im going pee and he comes in there and has to go he pees in my bathtub!

this has been going on for about 2 years now, hes turning 4 next month. 

thank god he doesnt go in the bathroom when his teachers go though, i would be mortified. 

Quoting wittyscreenname:

I'm glad I'm not alone then! I was started to get worried. We also took away the sippy cup, so she's not drinking AS MUCH as she was, but she's getting plenty of fluids still.

Quoting Anonymous:

my three year old holds his pee to

for some reason he thinks EVERYONE goes to the bathroom at the same time and waits till you do. 

then he has to be first on the potty and plays around holding it, letting it go, holding it while you are sitting there about to pee your own pants. 

wittyscreenname
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM

That's what I did. Mine is TERRIFIED to sit on the "big potty", so we bought her a chair and just use part of that. I'm going to get her another one though, that's easier to put on and take off.

Quoting mariesmama:

nope my 3 yr old is speech delayed im thinking about getting her her own potty instead of the seat for ours

Like us on Facebook

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM
I have 3 kids and have raised them all the same. My older two took were potty trained quickly and easily by 2. My youngest wasn't fully trained until almost 4 and there is nothing wrong with her. Some kids resist!

Quoting Anonymous:

There is no excuse for a 3 year old to not be potty trained, unless they have some sort of other issue.

Take her diapers off and that's it. If she has an accident, have her clean it up. She is old enough now that there is no reason for her not to potty trained.

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM
Don't make it a fight or stress over it. Let her watch you go, talk about it, but let her choose. I only have had one out of four pt on my schedule. I had to be flexible with the girls and James is still in diapers due to his issues. I would not make it a fight.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wittyscreenname
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:34 PM

She didn't seem to like that....but she DOES like getting to get the pennies and get a couple of chocolate chips. lol

Quoting AshleyMommi:

Maybe try the pennies and a big excited dance. It's weird, but it worked wonders for my kiddo. He saw how excited we were (jumping around and hollering like crazy people) and he wanted to do it more and more.

Quoting wittyscreenname:

Thanks. Yea, I do all of that. I have a potty jar. The kid is obsessed with pennies, so when she pees, she gets two pennies, when she poops she gets 3 pennies. I asked my husband which he'd rather spend money on, diapers or laundry detergent. We both picked the detergent. The only issue I'm having right now is I need more sheets for her bed. She's still in a toddler bed and we have managed to lose all but 1 of her sheets. I'm wanting to find her those rubber undies or whatever they are called, for her to wear at night.

Quoting AshleyMommi:

Lots of positive reinforcement when she does use the potty. With my third son, who was a nightmare to potty train, we did a big huge "YAY you went potty dance!!" every time.

My two older boys both potty trained so easy by the time they were 2, so my third son really challenged me when he wanted nothing to do with the potty.

Oh - another thing we did was after a couple weeks of trying, we took away diapers 100%. Yes, it's tons of work, but it went really well after the first day and he realized he didn't want to have accidents all of the time. Diapers were a comfort thing for him

I think.

Good luck!!!

Like us on Facebook

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I do not give potty training tips because I suck at it lol Both mine where 3 1/2 before they where potty trained.  No idea what I was doing wrong.

Jessica_Esqueda
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I dont think that would work with my little one =/

Quoting ladyraven16:

My youngest was like that mama. He turned 3 last January. I was so sick if it that a week before his birthday I told him that he wouldn't turn 3 or get cake or presents if he didn't start using the potty. He did it the next day and we've never looked back lol.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

My girl will be 3 in january. She holds it too. She sat there and cried and begged for a diaper for 6 1/2 hours the last time we tried. When I finally gave in and gave her a potty, she peed all at once and then pooped. 

I'm ready to give up.  

For delicious allergy-friendly recipes, follow my blog, Cooking With Food Allergies! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)