Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Seriously? She's 3! Why Isn't She Potty Trained, Slacker?

Now that I got your attention......lol

I'm potty training my 3 year old. I make sure she gets lots of fluids through out the day, etc, etc....but it's almost like she's holding her pee.

Is that normal? I seems like my now 8 year old just took to the potty like a boss, so I don't remember this happening.

We've been training for 3 days and so far, she's kicking ass and taking names. I've only had to change her one time today and that was my fault (I was using the bathroom and didn't get up fast enough). But any tips?

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:15 PM
Replies (41-50):
UgtaBkdnMe
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Holding it in is normal. It sounds like she's doing just fine.

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:35 PM
I let both children self potty train and when they were ready, they were ready. With little fuss and no muss. Ds self trained by 5 before kindergarten, but he is special needs: pdd-nos, sensory motor issues, ADHD. Dd was self trained by 3.5. My niece who lived with us while her mom worked and partied, copied dd who is 10 months older and self trained by 3.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
niki_hubbard
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:36 PM

(I was using the bathroom and didn't get up fast enough)

omg... happened to me today, too! My dd wet the floor! She bluffs a lot though :/ She just turned two and I am freaking out that she is not trained... she just wont do it!

AshleyMommi
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Bummer man :(

Good luck with her!

Quoting outtamymynd:

Tried it! Made a big hoorah and all. She has undies, a cute potty seat and all she does is sit. Multiple times a day she'll sit but does nothing lol.

Quoting AshleyMommi:

Check out my other reply :)

Sit her down, tell her no more diapers, let her pick out big girl undies. Then every single time do a HUGE - and I mean HUGE - "Yay you went potty dance".

Quoting outtamymynd:

I'm having the same issue. NOTHING is working with her. My other three had no issues. I don't know what to do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommieSDW
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:37 PM
Let her pick panties and get her excited for it. My kids basically trained themselves because I did not force it. When they trained, it was fast, easy and barely any accidents. Just toss the diapers (except for night) and encourage her to go and don't embarrass her if she has an accident.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:37 PM
My ds is 4 and has some health and mental issues (ones I'm not going to discuss here) but he gets so upset even seeing a toilet he ether passes out or throws up. We can't even take him to lowes because he will go crazy at the site of a toilet

Quoting wittyscreenname:

I've tried potty training in the past and she just wasn't having it. I'm not just taking the diaper off and letting her piss all over the place. I have carpets in the majority of my house.

I let HER let me know when she was ready to potty train....My oldest DD was around the same age when she was potty trained, my son was 4. I wasn't going to force her into doing something she didn't want to do. For a long time, she would freak out at the thought of using the potty.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is no excuse for a 3 year old to not be potty trained, unless they have some sort of other issue.

Take her diapers off and that's it. If she has an accident, have her clean it up. She is old enough now that there is no reason for her not to potty trained.

wittyscreenname
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Yea, we did that.....I can't let her watch me go this week (aunt flo is in town..don't wanna traumatize the kid) lol. I'm not making it a fight...I ask her if she needs to go about ever 30 minutes or so and insist she at least sits on it once an hour. When she DOES pee, I tell her all right, high 5 here and give her the pennies.

She walked in on my husband peeing one day and I caught her trying to pee like him. lol

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

Don't make it a fight or stress over it. Let her watch you go, talk about it, but let her choose. I only have had one out of four pt on my schedule. I had to be flexible with the girls and James is still in diapers due to his issues. I would not make it a fight.

ladyraven16
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Just suggestion. You could also try telling her that her pee and poop want to go to the party in the sewer. That they are sad that she isn't letting them go.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

I dont think that would work with my little one =/

Quoting ladyraven16:

My youngest was like that mama. He turned 3 last January. I was so sick if it that a week before his birthday I told him that he wouldn't turn 3 or get cake or presents if he didn't start using the potty. He did it the next day and we've never looked back lol.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

My girl will be 3 in january. She holds it too. She sat there and cried and begged for a diaper for 6 1/2 hours the last time we tried. When I finally gave in and gave her a potty, she peed all at once and then pooped. 

I'm ready to give up.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetz684
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM
My dd is 2.5 and potty training. It seems like she holds it too. I picked her up from the sitter today. She's been wearing undies. The sitter said she didn't go all day. She asked her several times and she said no. I tried to get her to go before we got in the car and he wouldn't. She's stayed dry all day. Now if I could get her to poop on the potty! She freaks and wants a diaper on. I def don't want her holding that so I put her diaper on.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emeraldangel2.0
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:40 PM

sorry but if you potty train before the child is ready, then it can cause problems.

my aunt trained her kids too soon, and they still have accidents today. her oldest is 8, middle is 6, her youngest is three.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is no excuse for a 3 year old to not be potty trained, unless they have some sort of other issue.

Take her diapers off and that's it. If she has an accident, have her clean it up. She is old enough now that there is no reason for her not to potty trained.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN