Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Seriously? She's 3! Why Isn't She Potty Trained, Slacker?

Now that I got your attention......lol

I'm potty training my 3 year old. I make sure she gets lots of fluids through out the day, etc, etc....but it's almost like she's holding her pee.

Is that normal? I seems like my now 8 year old just took to the potty like a boss, so I don't remember this happening.

We've been training for 3 days and so far, she's kicking ass and taking names. I've only had to change her one time today and that was my fault (I was using the bathroom and didn't get up fast enough). But any tips?

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:15 PM
Replies (51-58):
haunted.mommy
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Put her in panties once she realises she is going to be wet and uncomfortable she will go on the potty

wittyscreenname
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Oh, she's in panties.....she just doesn't seem to want to go unless she ABSOLUTELY has to.

Quoting haunted.mommy:

Put her in panties once she realises she is going to be wet and uncomfortable she will go on the potty

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm glad youre not that child's mother. I feel bad for your kids

Quoting Anonymous:

There is no excuse for a 3 year old to not be potty trained, unless they have some sort of other issue.

Take her diapers off and that's it. If she has an accident, have her clean it up. She is old enough now that there is no reason for her not to potty trained.

haunted.mommy
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Been there! put her on the potty every 15 min and turn the water on. 

Quoting wittyscreenname:

Oh, she's in panties.....she just doesn't seem to want to go unless she ABSOLUTELY has to.

Quoting haunted.mommy:

Sparklee.com - http://www.sparklee.com

Maky.Medina
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I started training my son the followig day, after he turned 3...every kid is different and sometimes they are simply not ready! So don't force it, because she might get overwhelmed and get scared and not want to do it at all...it is not because they are lazy (for the other person that said that there is no reason why a 3 year old shouldnt be potty trained.) , so dont get frustrated, encourage her on, keep a chart and everytime she goes give her a smiley face sticker or whatever, at the end tell her she'll get a prize. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:51 PM
I agree. I trained all of my boys in just a couple of days....all were day and night trained right after their 2nd birthdays.

I can't imagine changing a 3-4 years olds diaper! Unless of course there is some delay or medical reason ...

Quoting Anonymous:

There is no excuse for a 3 year old to not be potty trained, unless they have some sort of other issue.

Take her diapers off and that's it. If she has an accident, have her clean it up. She is old enough now that there is no reason for her not to potty trained.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hargonagain
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:09 PM

My son wasn't getting it and I found this book about how to potty train in 1 day.  It says to get a drink and wet baby doll and tons of liquids for your child to drink.  Get things she likes and even things you don't usually let her have that she considers a treat, just to get her to drink alot of liquid.  Get rid of anyone else in the house, all the kids, dad, dog any distractions at all have to go!  Don't try to do this when she is sick or grouchy or upset.  Start by giving her as much as she wants to drink and then tell her the baby doll needs to learn how to use the potty and that you and her (your daughter) are going to teach the baby how to potty.  Have her "show" the baby how to pull down her panties and have her place the doll on the potty chair or toilet.  Then let her hold the baby while no water comes out of the doll.  Say something like "oh no!  the baby doens't know how to use the potty! Can you show the baby how to use the potty?"  Hopefully by then she will have to go anyway and she can show the baby doll how to use the potty. If it works celebrate!  If not, just give her more to drink.  Then after a few minutes, have her give the baby doll a bottle of water and then have the baby pee and then celebrate!  Keep doing this until she starts to put it together that you drink something and then you pee in the potty.  It worked for my son, he was potty trained in two days time after I got serious about it.  Which was great, because he potty trained 1 week before preschool started.  He had 2 accidents at school and that was it. 

mali321
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Mama, just ignore the ignorant on here saying all kids should be potty trained by three. Your LO will go when they are ready. I don't have any tips as I am going through this with my 2.5 dd with SN, (she doesn't want to potty, but will strip off her clothes when she feels the need and will squat and pee on the floor). She's a work in progress. Good Luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN