Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

is this legal? update×2

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

ok so i have a sd (17) will be 18 july 13th .i have a 3 year old and my husband is a truck driver hes only home for a day a week sometimes less .

in the end of march im going to england my dad and aunt are getting married and im taking my 3 year old with me .im going to be gone for a month i havent seen my family in over 2 years .

i cant take my sd with me not only can i not afford another 1400$ ticket she has her last bit of school before she graduates.

and because she has a history of blatant lying my family asked me to leave her home .il be staying with my mum .

right now sd  keeps telling me she will call cps for abondonment if i leave her for a month on her own (yes shes a bit of a drama llama and she hates me so she will do anything to piss me off ).

i want to know is that true can i get in trouble for leaving a almost 18 year old at home alone for a month even though her dad will be home every now and then ??? i googled it but i cant find what im looking for

anyone have any idea ? oh i live in missouri .

Update

OK so I called the cops and asked about the situation. Legally in my state
She is a adult at 17 so I wont get into trouble. But because she keeps whining about it I
Called dh and he's going to try to arrange something with either
SD friends family or sil.

Also just to clear this up my dad is not marrying my aunt they
Are marrying other people 3 weeks apart.

Also I'm sorry for my grammar and spelling I'm dyslexic. But I'm really trying to make this understandable so bear with me.

Update2

Sil has agreed to take SD for the time that I'm not home. Problem solved
Thanks to those that did not bash me.

Also I want to add I do love my SD. She's a mess and I dislike her behavior
But other wise she's a good kid.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:33 PM

i don't but my sil prob could it would just be a longer ride to school for sd witch she doesn't want sil lives 30 mins away of course no guarantee sil will want to put up with sd 

Quoting Buggy979:

Do you have a friend who is 18 or older to come stay with her?

beautiful.GIRL1
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Well abandonment is when you have no contact and leave the child for a year or more. That could have changed though. I think you would be fine but id be worried about what she gets into and how she spends her time. Maybe you should get someone to check in regularly on her.

Quoting Anonymous:

short term it says 12 but im not sure about longer than just a few hours .also because i am coming backat a set time  how can it be abandonment im not just going to disappear .

Quoting beautiful.GIRL1:

What is the law for age requirement to stay home alone?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

she can drive and she has a cellphone she also knows how to call 911 and even though shes a drama llama shes not into parties .

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Yeah, you actually probably can.  She isn't an adult, she can't get medical treatment if needed, she could have a party and people get hurt (and YOU would get sued).  Lots of things.  Under 18, in the eyes of the law, she IS stilla child.

That doesn't matter.  She can't excuse herself from school, she cannot seek medical attention (doctors will turn her away unless it's life threatening unless a parent or guardian signs).  At 17, my son got a fairly severe concussion (wakeboarding), and was taken to the hospital.  They couldn't even give him the CAT scan until I got there and signed for it.

queencreekmom
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Where is her mom? Or is there a family member that can stay with her? I don't think you would get in trouble, however. 

young_lv_mom
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM
5 moms liked this
Why not have her stay with a friend for that time? Talk to the friends mom and set up something. If she is acting like this about you leaving do you really want to trust her by her self home by her self for a month? You might not have a home to come back to, or things in it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Just call a police department - they'll tell you.
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this
From a simple google search you should be fine in regards to child abandonment. In Missouri you can only be charged with it if the child is 8 or under and left with the intend to abandon them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

she has tried so many times to call cps and get taken away and she wants my lo taken away too .but even cps told her to stop lying .she doesnt like me because she has mommy issues .bm is out of the picture she takes it out on me shes inteligent shes very manipulative but most people can tell shes full of sh!t.

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

In Michigan, I think it's okay.  When I was 17 the judge told my mom I was considered an adult & that's why she wasn't notified I was being taken to court for shoplifting....this was 13 yrs ago.  I am sooooo glad I don't have step kids.  She needs a slap in her face and someone to tell her to call on you so she can be taken away.  GL with that.

Melanie420
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

hey, I live in Missouri too, and I dont think its illegal, but im not for sure, so heres a bump

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I'dfind someone for her to stay with. If something happened to her, you probably could get into trouble...

To find out for sure, call your local social service office and ask

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)