Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

is this legal? update×2

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 314 Replies
3 moms liked this

ok so i have a sd (17) will be 18 july 13th .i have a 3 year old and my husband is a truck driver hes only home for a day a week sometimes less .

in the end of march im going to england my dad and aunt are getting married and im taking my 3 year old with me .im going to be gone for a month i havent seen my family in over 2 years .

i cant take my sd with me not only can i not afford another 1400$ ticket she has her last bit of school before she graduates.

and because she has a history of blatant lying my family asked me to leave her home .il be staying with my mum .

right now sd  keeps telling me she will call cps for abondonment if i leave her for a month on her own (yes shes a bit of a drama llama and she hates me so she will do anything to piss me off ).

i want to know is that true can i get in trouble for leaving a almost 18 year old at home alone for a month even though her dad will be home every now and then ??? i googled it but i cant find what im looking for

anyone have any idea ? oh i live in missouri .

Update

OK so I called the cops and asked about the situation. Legally in my state
She is a adult at 17 so I wont get into trouble. But because she keeps whining about it I
Called dh and he's going to try to arrange something with either
SD friends family or sil.

Also just to clear this up my dad is not marrying my aunt they
Are marrying other people 3 weeks apart.

Also I'm sorry for my grammar and spelling I'm dyslexic. But I'm really trying to make this understandable so bear with me.

Update2

Sil has agreed to take SD for the time that I'm not home. Problem solved
Thanks to those that did not bash me.

Also I want to add I do love my SD. She's a mess and I dislike her behavior
But other wise she's a good kid.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:25 PM

bump if you dont know

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, you actually probably can.  She isn't an adult, she can't get medical treatment if needed, she could have a party and people get hurt (and YOU would get sued).  Lots of things.  Under 18, in the eyes of the law, she IS stilla child.

beautiful.GIRL1
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:28 PM
What is the law for age requirement to stay home alone?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:28 PM

she can drive and she has a cellphone she also knows how to call 911 and even though shes a drama llama shes not into parties .

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Yeah, you actually probably can.  She isn't an adult, she can't get medical treatment if needed, she could have a party and people get hurt (and YOU would get sued).  Lots of things.  Under 18, in the eyes of the law, she IS stilla child.

Buggy979
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:29 PM
Do you have a friend who is 18 or older to come stay with her?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piratehooker
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:30 PM
5 moms liked this
Get advice from a family law attorney.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep, could get you in trouble.  I would have her travel with dad, and if not that, see if a friend will keep her.  Sign paperwork so she can for medical care.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:30 PM

short term it says 12 but im not sure about longer than just a few hours .also because i am coming backat a set time  how can it be abandonment im not just going to disappear .

Quoting beautiful.GIRL1:

What is the law for age requirement to stay home alone?

FL2AK
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:31 PM

We had to leave our 17 year old home alone to go to my FIL's funeral.  We had a family friend check in with him.

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:32 PM

In Michigan, I think it's okay.  When I was 17 the judge told my mom I was considered an adult & that's why she wasn't notified I was being taken to court for shoplifting....this was 13 yrs ago.  I am sooooo glad I don't have step kids.  She needs a slap in her face and someone to tell her to call on you so she can be taken away.  GL with that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)