Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

is this legal? update×2

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

ok so i have a sd (17) will be 18 july 13th .i have a 3 year old and my husband is a truck driver hes only home for a day a week sometimes less .

in the end of march im going to england my dad and aunt are getting married and im taking my 3 year old with me .im going to be gone for a month i havent seen my family in over 2 years .

i cant take my sd with me not only can i not afford another 1400$ ticket she has her last bit of school before she graduates.

and because she has a history of blatant lying my family asked me to leave her home .il be staying with my mum .

right now sd  keeps telling me she will call cps for abondonment if i leave her for a month on her own (yes shes a bit of a drama llama and she hates me so she will do anything to piss me off ).

i want to know is that true can i get in trouble for leaving a almost 18 year old at home alone for a month even though her dad will be home every now and then ??? i googled it but i cant find what im looking for

anyone have any idea ? oh i live in missouri .

Update

OK so I called the cops and asked about the situation. Legally in my state
She is a adult at 17 so I wont get into trouble. But because she keeps whining about it I
Called dh and he's going to try to arrange something with either
SD friends family or sil.

Also just to clear this up my dad is not marrying my aunt they
Are marrying other people 3 weeks apart.

Also I'm sorry for my grammar and spelling I'm dyslexic. But I'm really trying to make this understandable so bear with me.

Update2

Sil has agreed to take SD for the time that I'm not home. Problem solved
Thanks to those that did not bash me.

Also I want to add I do love my SD. She's a mess and I dislike her behavior
But other wise she's a good kid.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:40 PM
3 moms liked this
Your dad and aunt are getting married? That's different.
wyldebtrfly
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Can you call the local cps office and ask them? Or a police advice line?
Better to be safe then sorry... 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:40 PM

bm is a deadbeat she lives out of state and has no contact with sd hasent since sd chose to live with us 3 years ago .

Quoting queencreekmom:

Where is her mom? Or is there a family member that can stay with her? I don't think you would get in trouble, however. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:41 PM

not to each other ....3 weeks apart

Quoting Anonymous:

Your dad and aunt are getting married? That's different.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:41 PM
Age requirement does not apply here. She is not just leaving her for an evening, she is leaving for a month.

Quoting beautiful.GIRL1:

What is the law for age requirement to stay home alone?

Christy_517
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:41 PM

17 years old in Missouri? Not that I know of. I live in MO and that's how old I was when I moved in with my now husband. My mom called the cops and they told her that at 17 I was free to leave. I couldn't sign a lease or anything but she couldn't make me stay with her.

RLT2
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Don't know, here's a bump for ya

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:43 PM

im prob going to have to if they say its not ok then il arrange sd to stay with a friend of hers .

Quoting wyldebtrfly:

Can you call the local cps office and ask them? Or a police advice line?
Better to be safe then sorry... 

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

She can't actually get you for abandonment, but her dad. Honestly, he is accessible to her, I'm assuming by phone. She will have food, clothing, a roof over her head. I'd say let her reap what she sows. If things go badly, she'll end up in a group home and those are no fun. 

shudderette
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Even if it's legal I wouldn't. Ask a family member or close friend to be "in charge" of her in case of legal/medical issues. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)