Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this legal? update×2

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

ok so i have a sd (17) will be 18 july 13th .i have a 3 year old and my husband is a truck driver hes only home for a day a week sometimes less .

in the end of march im going to england my dad and aunt are getting married and im taking my 3 year old with me .im going to be gone for a month i havent seen my family in over 2 years .

i cant take my sd with me not only can i not afford another 1400$ ticket she has her last bit of school before she graduates.

and because she has a history of blatant lying my family asked me to leave her home .il be staying with my mum .

right now sd  keeps telling me she will call cps for abondonment if i leave her for a month on her own (yes shes a bit of a drama llama and she hates me so she will do anything to piss me off ).

i want to know is that true can i get in trouble for leaving a almost 18 year old at home alone for a month even though her dad will be home every now and then ??? i googled it but i cant find what im looking for

anyone have any idea ? oh i live in missouri .


OK so I called the cops and asked about the situation. Legally in my state
She is a adult at 17 so I wont get into trouble. But because she keeps whining about it I
Called dh and he's going to try to arrange something with either
SD friends family or sil.

Also just to clear this up my dad is not marrying my aunt they
Are marrying other people 3 weeks apart.

Also I'm sorry for my grammar and spelling I'm dyslexic. But I'm really trying to make this understandable so bear with me.


Sil has agreed to take SD for the time that I'm not home. Problem solved
Thanks to those that did not bash me.

Also I want to add I do love my SD. She's a mess and I dislike her behavior
But other wise she's a good kid.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Replies (31-40):
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:45 PM

call your local cps office and ask them, then when (if) they say "no problem" give them your information and tell them whats going on, that way when your sd calles them, they already have a heads up on the situation, and you won't get in trouble over it

by imjenndoe on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I do not know if you can get in trouble but your husband, her father can for leaving her alone.

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Isn't SD legally your DH's responsibility?  How could you get into trouble for that?  If someone is stopping in to visit with her regularly, I don't see how you could get into trouble at all.  She will be almost 18 at that point. 

OMG....  what I would have given at 17 to have the house to myself for a month.  Why does she not realise how great that is?

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:46 PM
Idk when I was 17 I was living out on my own...

So here's a bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:47 PM

in MI a 17yo can move out of their parent's house.

that's all i know.

by Emerald Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Actually, depending on the state, there are release forms parents can sign stating that with parental permission a child can leave school grounds alone if sick. She can also check with the local hospital her step-daughter has and fill out paperwork regarding emergency treatment and the lack of parental presense. At 16 onwards, I set my own appointments (doctor and dental), went to them and all they needed was the consent form on file.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Quoting Anonymous:

she can drive and she has a cellphone she also knows how to call 911 and even though shes a drama llama shes not into parties .

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Yeah, you actually probably can.  She isn't an adult, she can't get medical treatment if needed, she could have a party and people get hurt (and YOU would get sued).  Lots of things.  Under 18, in the eyes of the law, she IS stilla child.

That doesn't matter.  She can't excuse herself from school, she cannot seek medical attention (doctors will turn her away unless it's life threatening unless a parent or guardian signs).  At 17, my son got a fairly severe concussion (wakeboarding), and was taken to the hospital.  They couldn't even give him the CAT scan until I got there and signed for it.

by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:49 PM
I know that. But as long as the age of her sd is deemed old enough to look after herself then it shows that she really cant get in trouble unless her sd were to do something crazy and stupid.

Quoting Anonymous:

Age requirement does not apply here. She is not just leaving her for an evening, she is leaving for a month.

Quoting beautiful.GIRL1:

What is the law for age requirement to stay home alone?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:49 PM

yeah she talks to dh every day she will have food and gas she has her own bank account that dh puts money in she drives and can buy food though i will leave her some .im hoping this will help her prepare for the real world she goes off to college shortly after i come back .

but then again because i dont trust her i might just call her friends mom and have her stay with them .

Quoting acrogodess:

She can't actually get you for abandonment, but her dad. Honestly, he is accessible to her, I'm assuming by phone. She will have food, clothing, a roof over her head. I'd say let her reap what she sows. If things go badly, she'll end up in a group home and those are no fun. 

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Um need to get dad in on this!!! Sounds like you got a problem sd

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)