Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this legal? update×2

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

ok so i have a sd (17) will be 18 july 13th .i have a 3 year old and my husband is a truck driver hes only home for a day a week sometimes less .

in the end of march im going to england my dad and aunt are getting married and im taking my 3 year old with me .im going to be gone for a month i havent seen my family in over 2 years .

i cant take my sd with me not only can i not afford another 1400$ ticket she has her last bit of school before she graduates.

and because she has a history of blatant lying my family asked me to leave her home .il be staying with my mum .

right now sd  keeps telling me she will call cps for abondonment if i leave her for a month on her own (yes shes a bit of a drama llama and she hates me so she will do anything to piss me off ).

i want to know is that true can i get in trouble for leaving a almost 18 year old at home alone for a month even though her dad will be home every now and then ??? i googled it but i cant find what im looking for

anyone have any idea ? oh i live in missouri .


OK so I called the cops and asked about the situation. Legally in my state
She is a adult at 17 so I wont get into trouble. But because she keeps whining about it I
Called dh and he's going to try to arrange something with either
SD friends family or sil.

Also just to clear this up my dad is not marrying my aunt they
Are marrying other people 3 weeks apart.

Also I'm sorry for my grammar and spelling I'm dyslexic. But I'm really trying to make this understandable so bear with me.


Sil has agreed to take SD for the time that I'm not home. Problem solved
Thanks to those that did not bash me.

Also I want to add I do love my SD. She's a mess and I dislike her behavior
But other wise she's a good kid.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Replies (51-60):
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:05 PM

BTW.  I Agree with the others pp.

in most state, you can not be charge for abandonment because you are not the BM or a court appointed legal huardian, but .... your DH can.

Where is the BM?

by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:07 PM

i think shes a bit  jealous we took her to england in august of 2011 and she loved it but she lied to my whole family about me and what kind of mom i am and they know me well enough to know shes was lying so shes not welcome back .

Quoting lullabylily:

She sounds like a brat.  Ask her to pay her own tickets, work her ass off after school.  You are not oblige to take her anyway.

Good luck.

by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM

 In most states she can not sign for medical treatment unless a life or death situation. Even if she calls 911 because she is sick, if it is not a true emergency, most states do not allow the ambulance to treat and transport without parental consent...

That being said... I do not know the legalities on it... Is there a neighbor that can keep an eye on her? Or is it possible that she stays with another family member or friend (maybe even a friend from school)?

Quoting Anonymous:

she can drive and she has a cellphone she also knows how to call 911 and even though shes a drama llama shes not into parties .

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Yeah, you actually probably can.  She isn't an adult, she can't get medical treatment if needed, she could have a party and people get hurt (and YOU would get sued).  Lots of things.  Under 18, in the eyes of the law, she IS stilla child.


Periwinkle Awareness RibbonEsophageal Atresia Awareness

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Why not call CPS and ask?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Honestly, you can contact your local CPS agency and ask them. They also take maturity level into account.

by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I would have someone check in on her every so often.

Its kind of a blurry area.  I do know that in Missouri if a 17 year old runs away they usually concider them close enough to 18 and won't do anything about it.  So Missouri usually sees 17 as pretty much adult.

by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I'd have someone come and stay with her.  Is she a well-behaved kid?

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I bet you can't wait until she's 18.  She sounds like a charmer.  note: sarcasm

Quoting Anonymous:

yes she likes to remind me when ever she can that im legally nothing to do with her and i have no rights to her ...untill it suits her that is . same with the attitude of im a adult untill it suits her and then shes a innocent child .

she enjoys playing victim thats why shes making this out to be awful abuse already if i do leave .in july she called the cops because i interupted her eating a pop tart to go shopping witch she chose to leave at home she could have eaten it or took it with her  (she asked me to take her that morning to get some pizza rolls ) basically she lied to the cops caused a huge argument with me and said she hadent eaten all day .but i made her lunch about 2 hours before .i even showed the cop the plates in the sink .like i said any exscuse to piss me off and play victim .

Quoting opal10161973:

Isn't SD legally your DH's responsibility?  How could you get into trouble for that?  If someone is stopping in to visit with her regularly, I don't see how you could get into trouble at all.  She will be almost 18 at that point. 

OMG....  what I would have given at 17 to have the house to myself for a month.  Why does she not realise how great that is?

by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:19 PM

other than lying about abuse yes shes a good kid .

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd have someone come and stay with her.  Is she a well-behaved kid?

by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)