Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does anyone teach their kids sign language?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM
  • 12 Replies

Apparently my 5 year old has learned the manual alphabet in his pre-k class. He was singing the ABC's tonight and signed along with it. I know the signs as well and he had them correct (some were a little off due to his being 5 and not having perfect dexterity, but he knows them.) I asked him if he knew any other signs and he singed "more" "please" "thank you" "sit down" "wash" "eat" "drink" "mom" and "dad". I WAS FLOORED. I had no idea he was learning this at school! Its not a special needs class, it a regular preschool.

Anyway, to my question. He has showed interest in learning more, and I would LOVE to see him learn to sign fluently. Is there any good sites to use to teach basic signs? Maybe with some games or something that would make it fun? I would love too learn more than I do as well!

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Yes, when my oldest son was 2-4 years old he mostly communicated by sign. He is 9 now and talks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
edelweiss23
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:53 PM
Yes. My son is learning it.
My daughters speak it fluently.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:53 PM
I started signing to my kids when they were about 6 months old - they started signing back around 3 months later. Signing was a great help when they were younger.

Sadly, as their vocabulary far exceeded our signing, it dropped off..
reaandiziesmama
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Are there any sites or anything that would help teach him? His dad and I are both super excited that he's learning it. And he loves to do it. I want to encourage him as much as I can.

Quoting edelweiss23:

Yes. My son is learning it.
My daughters speak it fluently.

reaandiziesmama
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I had no idea he was learning to sign. I think its awesome. I am seriously considering emailing his teacher and telling her how great I think it is that she is teaching the kids to sign.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I started signing to my kids when they were about 6 months old - they started signing back around 3 months later. Signing was a great help when they were younger.

Sadly, as their vocabulary far exceeded our signing, it dropped off..

MyBabies86
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Yes both of mine do, my auntie said google ASL and links should pop up, she is partly def, its why we are all learning it :)...I learned the basics when I was in the 2nd grade...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
neecie85257
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:57 PM

you tube

mom_of_one_boy
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Asl.com my kids know some as im learning more of it as well for my job
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reaandiziesmama
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol I hadn't even thought of that. Going to check now!

Quoting neecie85257:

you tube

Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM
I am fluent in ASL, have been since I was a kid. Both my 12, 4 and 3 year olds can all peak it fluently. They also speak Spanish and Russian fluently. I taught the, ASL, we have Muzzy for the other languages. If you are serious about teaching him do it now, at a certain age (around 11) a switch in our brain turns off anf it's harder for them to learn. Only 1% of the whole population, their switches don't turn off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN