Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does anyone teach their kids sign language?

Apparently my 5 year old has learned the manual alphabet in his pre-k class. He was singing the ABC's tonight and signed along with it. I know the signs as well and he had them correct (some were a little off due to his being 5 and not having perfect dexterity, but he knows them.) I asked him if he knew any other signs and he singed "more" "please" "thank you" "sit down" "wash" "eat" "drink" "mom" and "dad". I WAS FLOORED. I had no idea he was learning this at school! Its not a special needs class, it a regular preschool.

Anyway, to my question. He has showed interest in learning more, and I would LOVE to see him learn to sign fluently. Is there any good sites to use to teach basic signs? Maybe with some games or something that would make it fun? I would love too learn more than I do as well!

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM
Replies (11-12):
wyattsmom2009
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I started signing with my son when he was a few months old. He knows quite a few.

reaandiziesmama
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I am very serious about it. I think it would be very valuable for him to know. He does have a speech problem, though its MUCH better than it was even a year ago thanks to speech therapy, but he still gets frustrated when someone can't understand him. I think if he knew the signs it might relief that. Plus if he becomes fluent it would be a great skill for adult hood.

Quoting Elyce225:

I am fluent in ASL, have been since I was a kid. Both my 12, 4 and 3 year olds can all peak it fluently. They also speak Spanish and Russian fluently. I taught the, ASL, we have Muzzy for the other languages. If you are serious about teaching him do it now, at a certain age (around 11) a switch in our brain turns off anf it's harder for them to learn. Only 1% of the whole population, their switches don't turn off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)