Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it necessary for a 12 year old to have a cellphone? What about a smartphone?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

Ss (12) has been wanting and Iphone or Galaxy for awhile. We were hesitant in getting him one because well....he doesn't take great care of his stuff. His mom had him on some plan that was like 10/mo. It was one of those government things. Since that time he has gone through 3 phones. So, tonight he called asking if we would help pay for the phone line his mom was getting him. His mom is apparently adding him to her plan, giving him her old galaxy, and getting a new phone. His phone line will be 40/mo. Dh was very hesitant at first considering how he has been with his phones in the past. Bm went on and on about how it's his responsibility to help with the kids and she has other bills or some mess. He eventually agreed to pay half...it's only 20/mo after all. It all just seemed silly and the way bm was going on about it you would think she was talking about food or shelter. Really, does a 12 year old need a smartphone, much less a cellphone?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM

no i dont think a 12yr old needs a smartphone. I learned my lesson about that the hard way. I gave 12yr old DS one and him being at that age used it to look at stuff he shouldn't. Eh it is what it is. A regular cell sure why not?

rawrmommysaurus
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:16 PM

cell phone, yes, smart phone, maybe as long as you could control the Internet and text messaging.  Personally I wouldn't get him a phone that has Internet capabilities. 

cara124
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Are regular cell yes a smart phone no
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Fairegirl33
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Mine doesn't have one.... Actually, I have shared custody with my ex and he thinks she needs one, so it stays there... I have no clue when she would use it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
annas_momma
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think that a kid needs their own cell phone at all till they are driving, but that's jmo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this

That is my feeling as well. I won't be getting my kids a cellphone. When they are driving and working then I will add a line but I expect them to help pay the bill. I didn't have a cellphone in high school and I managed just fine!

Quoting annas_momma:

I don't think that a kid needs their own cell phone at all till they are driving, but that's jmo.

Buggy979
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM
My 12 yr old has a iPhone and is very responsible with it...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momwith2monkeys
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM

it isn't necessary for them to have one but now a day most kids want a cell phone. But i believe in making them work for it. For instance, my daughter who is 13 had to do chores and save for her phone, she saved for 4 month to have enough to get the phone and her first set of min. Now she has chores that she has to do every month and that incude also keeping her attitude in check as well, in order for us to pay for her min. we pay $30 a month and she get 1000 min, 1000 text and so much data ( not sure how much).

KyrinM
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Mine only has a phone that can call & do text.  That's it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:40 PM
In todays world, I think a cell phone is necesarry, but it doesnt need to be a smart phone. He should be able to call his parents and 911, that is all I would really care about.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN