Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it necessary for a 12 year old to have a cellphone? What about a smartphone?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Ss (12) has been wanting and Iphone or Galaxy for awhile. We were hesitant in getting him one because well....he doesn't take great care of his stuff. His mom had him on some plan that was like 10/mo. It was one of those government things. Since that time he has gone through 3 phones. So, tonight he called asking if we would help pay for the phone line his mom was getting him. His mom is apparently adding him to her plan, giving him her old galaxy, and getting a new phone. His phone line will be 40/mo. Dh was very hesitant at first considering how he has been with his phones in the past. Bm went on and on about how it's his responsibility to help with the kids and she has other bills or some mess. He eventually agreed to pay half...it's only 20/mo after all. It all just seemed silly and the way bm was going on about it you would think she was talking about food or shelter. Really, does a 12 year old need a smartphone, much less a cellphone?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Replies (11-20):
Oostera
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Does he have a job and will be driving regularly? If not, boy doesn't need a phone at all.

moneysaver6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Nope...our 13 yr old doesn't have her own cell phone let alone a smartphone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:01 AM

My son got his first phone at 12. He took really good care of it, and he is a messy slob! He is close to 18, and has had a phone since. If he has wanted something fancy, he has to pay for it. I pay for a basic phone and service. If he goes over, he pays as well. It's really never been a problem, and it is great for me to keep tabs. Just set clear boundaries, and guidelines. 

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Heck no, unless he can pay the monthly bill.  No kid needs a smartphone, or a phone at all, unless the parent chooses to give him one for the parent's own convenience. 

Mom, who sounds like she can't afford this, should sell her Galaxy on craigslist and buy a cheap phone for her kid if she needs him to have one.

askyourmother
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:04 AM

cell phone yes smart phone no

katiehopson
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:06 AM

If you live in the city, yes, a cell phone is necessary but definitely not a smart phone. If you live in the suburbs, I really don't think a cell phone at all is necessary. Like, where is you're 12 year old going to be without an adult nearby?

Kimsundaram
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:13 AM
My kid has an apple,,, they are cool cuz ya can track em and find it if it's lost which has happened already and as long as my kid has it I know where he's at lol he's 14,,, my nieces have blackberrys n they all text each other while in the same room haha ... It seems pretty good
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
malxslady
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM

If the child is very active in school activities then a cellphone is fine but not a smartphone. At this age most are not ready for the responsiblity and if he has already gone throw 3 phones I say he does not need any more for now.

Mrs.Miller11
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:43 PM

No it is not a necessity. And no, it should not be your husbands responsibility, especially since the ex didnt discuss this with him.

A necessity is something that is needed to survive. A phone for a child is not. Especially since he has proven that he can not be responsible with one.

He is in school for 8 hours, he sleeps 8 hours, Im sure he has about 2 hours of home work. There is 18 hours of his day, that dont need to be interrupted. He can talk to his friends at school. Furthermore, I am under the understanding that cell phones are not allowed at school. No he does not need one.

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:51 PM

My niece is 12 years old and she has an iphone 3g. I think that's appropriate, it's an older generation but its at least a smartphone with apps and at their age thats all they care about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured