Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Diva Cup....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Okay so I have the diva cup and here is my experience thus far:

Pros:

1.Saves money on tampons/pads in the long run.

2. No chemical stuff.

CONS:

1. I suck at putting it in. You are supposed to do this bend then twist thing and it is really hard for me to do. The damn thing takes forever to open up.

2. You have to get very up close and personal with your anatomy. This can result in a messy hand.

3. I teach and have to use a public restroom at school during my workday. Still haven't figured out a workable approach to washing the thing at work. I mean, what if one of my students walked in while I was washing my Diva cup in the sink.

Anyone have any super valuable insight about my cons list?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:24 AM
Replies (81-88):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Just dump it out and put it back in....or put a small squirt bottle in your purse

MumsTheWord571
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:43 AM

for the putting in in thing. I have found that rather than doing the twist that they tell you fold it in half and push it in. Then you should pull it a little bit out. It will open up and almost pop when it opens (you feel it open that close to the entrance) and then push it all the way in.

For the messy hand/wash in the public bathroom. If you can't find a bathroom with a sink in the stall (like at the malls) you can either bring a small bottle of water for THIS REASON only. OR you can use a wipe to clean it up instead. then when you do get home take it out and wash it.

I love my Diva cup. I have super heavy periods now after my second child, so I have to empty it out every 2-3 hours. Can you imagine if I had still been using tampons? I'd BLOW through them!

I hope that this helps. I haven't looked at the replies yet, so I'm not sure if I'm repeating anything!

MumsTheWord571
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:49 AM

you boil to decontaminate after you've finished your period or if you are leaving it out for any length of time. If not, you take it out, wash, put it back. it's not out of your body for longer than a minute at most.

Quoting EAzizM:

Oh ok. I know some that boil them to decontaminate. How many do you have?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting EAzizM:

You are just washing them and not boiling them? Seems unsanitary. I use the instead soft cups. The arent reusable but i love them. :)

The instructions say to wash it.... they sell a wash for it or you can use soap and water...

MumsTheWord571
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:51 AM

you may have a heavier than *normal* period. before I had my DD I could go 12 hours. Now after her I have to change MUCH more frequently on day 2-3 of my period.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting justinnaimee:

They can stay in for 12 hours. Just put it in fresh before work and change/wash it after.

Then I must not be doing it right because after about 4-5 hours it starts to leak on my pad... maybe I just need to keep trying....

ncbirdie
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Going to Walgreens, you'll find the Softcups.  I honestly don't know how they work in comparison to a reusable menstrual cup.  I think it would definitely be a good idea to try it out and see if it works for you and you want to move to a more permanant option.  Then you'll have to decide on a brand and either try to find a specialty shop that sells it or order it online.  If you decide you want to go that route, look up menstrual cup comparisons and read some of the descriptions and pick something based on what appeals to you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you for your help. There is a Walgreens right across the street, litterally. I am going to check themout and try them. Thanks again.

unusualmom
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:12 AM
I use the soft cups. I think they work better when im at work because if I have to change it I can stay in the stall. The cons about the soft cups - sometimes I cant find them in stores so I always buy 2 packs at a time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
areyouatroll
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Hmmm
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twyliatepeka
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:31 AM
I have always wondered about the mess factor with them.

Quoting EAzizM:

It won't hurt to try them. The first few times might be a pain in the ass but once you get used to putting them in right, you will love them.

Quoting twyliatepeka:

Oh me too. I hate that feeling. I may get some next time. Thanks.

Quoting EAzizM:

They are awesome and quite cheap. I hate that feeling of leakage dripping on your pad when you stand up, i don't feel that with the cup.

Quoting twyliatepeka:

I always wanted to try those.

Quoting EAzizM:

You are just washing them and not boiling them? Seems unsanitary. I use the instead soft cups. The arent reusable but i love them. :)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured