Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you had the choice........

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:00 AM
  • 43 Replies

Poll

Question: If you had a choice, no one telling you couldn't for whatever reason, how would you give birth?

Options:

Vaginal, medicated

Vaginal, unmedicated

C-section

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 82

View Results

The post about the woman thinking birth is gross got me thinking.  I've heard before about women who would choose a c-section, but their doctor won't do it unless they can deem it medically necessary.  I also see so many women who say they want an unmedicated birth that don't turn out that way.  And of course, there are women wouldn't even consider giving birth without some sort of medication.

How would you birth if you could call the shots; no ifs, ands, or buts?

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngryBob
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:03 AM

i'm having a water labor with this one. i wanted unmedicated births, but it didn't happen with the first two. i'm so ready for it this time around! i'm due next week!!

ncbirdie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Awesome!  I wanted an epidural with my son (first pregnancy).  However, I never had any contractions before my water broke.  From water breaking to baby was 5 hours, almost to the minute.  Went to the hospital once for them to tell me that my water didn't break and I was only in early labor.  They sent me home.  Came back shortly after that and they put me in the same room I was in before because they hadn't cleaned it yet.  My son was born 10 minutes before the doctor showed up.

I went with a home birth for my daughter.  Couldn't imagine going unmedicated these days.

Quoting AngryBob:

i'm having a water labor with this one. i wanted unmedicated births, but it didn't happen with the first two. i'm so ready for it this time around! i'm due next week!!

AnastasiaKorsh
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:09 AM

The way that I gave birth.

Vaginal and medicated.

xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:09 AM
3 moms liked this

Teleportation.

slashteddy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Unmedicated vaginal. *crosses fingers* I'm just terrified that my labor will be mostly in my back. I already have sciatica, and I'm worried back contractions on top of that will be waaaayyy more pain than I can handle.

ncbirdie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:12 AM

Yeah, I considered adding an immaculate birth option, but decided against it.

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Teleportation.

AngryBob
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:12 AM

Quoting ncbirdie:

Awesome!  I wanted an epidural with my son (first pregnancy).  However, I never had any contractions before my water broke.  From water breaking to baby was 5 hours, almost to the minute.  Went to the hospital once for them to tell me that my water didn't break and I was only in early labor.  They sent me home.  Came back shortly after that and they put me in the same room I was in before because they hadn't cleaned it yet.  My son was born 10 minutes before the doctor showed up.

I went with a home birth for my daughter.  Couldn't imagine going unmedicated these days.

Quoting AngryBob:

i was soo unprepared with my first. i just figured i could walk in and tough it out. but then they made me lie down on my back, and apparently that's the worst position to be in during labor, go fig? not knowing any better, and the contractions getting more intense, and dh being a butthead, i was begging for the epi.

with the second, when i went in for my 41 week check up, the doctor discovered he was breech, and said we HAD to have a c section. i told him to shove it, and had another doctor come in and perform a version, where they flip the baby. because i was eight days late and often they flip back around, they went ahead and induced me, so i had him that day. i'd heard that versions were super painful, and so can being induced, so i had them drug me up lol

dh and i researched the crap out of doctors until we found one that was okay with a natural birth. he's one of the few doctors in town that do water births. i don't want to birth in the tub, just labor, but we'll see how it goes.

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Vaginal unmedicated. My first was with an epidural, but I would really like to try to go natural. In fact if and when we decide to have another, I will be using a midwife instead of an OB.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ncbirdie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Actually, birthing in the tub is very beneficial.  You are least likely to tear.  It's difficult for the doctor to rush you and almost impossible for them to do an episiotomy.  There's less shock to the baby as it emerges.  And (kinda gross tidbit here) since you don't exactly hop out the second baby is out, the vernix floating in the water is amazing for your skin.

Good luck on your birth and I hope it's everything you are looking for.  As for me, it's after 4am and I still have Thanksgiving cooking to do before going to work tomorrow.  Have a great night.

Quoting AngryBob:

Quoting ncbirdie:

Quoting AngryBob:

i was soo unprepared with my first. i just figured i could walk in and tough it out. but then they made me lie down on my back, and apparently that's the worst position to be in during labor, go fig? not knowing any better, and the contractions getting more intense, and dh being a butthead, i was begging for the epi.

with the second, when i went in for my 41 week check up, the doctor discovered he was breech, and said we HAD to have a c section. i told him to shove it, and had another doctor come in and perform a version, where they flip the baby. because i was eight days late and often they flip back around, they went ahead and induced me, so i had him that day. i'd heard that versions were super painful, and so can being induced, so i had them drug me up lol

dh and i researched the crap out of doctors until we found one that was okay with a natural birth. he's one of the few doctors in town that do water births. i don't want to birth in the tub, just labor, but we'll see how it goes.

MountieMama
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:20 AM
Vaginal unmedicated. Had one already. I had worse pain DURING the pregnancy than during labor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN