Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

can anyone think of a nice way to put this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this
OK so I always cook for Thanksgiving- by myself- and I go big. So this year my dads wife wanted to do thanksgiving and to be honest we don't have the money to buy all the food for the whole deal anyways- so I agreed. As Thanksgiving grew closer I started getting antsy about not being the one cooking. My dads wife is a HORRIBLE cook. This is not me being a bitch stepdaughter either- I like my dads wife but her cooking is so bad its offensive. So of course dh is NOT looking forward to going to eat bad food. I ask dads wife what I should bring- she says sweet potatoes and stuffing. Fine. Then she asks me if I can make gravy cause she doesn't know how and my dad said if she's making the mashed potatoes- he's going to need lots of gravy (ya even her own husband knows her cooking is bad). I make the most amazing mashed potatoes. Like so good that a 5 pound tray isn't enough for 6 people. So I'm itching to make them. Last night I was going to buy the stuff to make sweet potatoes and stuffing and dh says "you have to make mashed potatoes- I can't have a Thanksgiving without mashed potatoes or without good mashed potatoes- I spend all year looking forward to your potatoes and if i have to eat her garbage cooking I at least need good potatoes"

So I break down and make the potatoes (I make them the night before and bake them) . Now I feel bad. She wanted to make them. I was gonna disguise it as a"potato casserole" since they're in a baking dish and all and to be honest she's kind of dense but i don't think that will fool anyone and I don't wanna come off as bitchy or stepping on toes. Every year I go down to their house the Saturday after thanksgiving and cook Thanksgiving for my dad (they cant come to our Thanksgiving at our house because we have a cat and 2 dogs and they are both highly allergic) . 2 years ago my dad spent 100k remodeling her kitchen and I think she really wants to host a big meal in it without me doing all the cooking so im trying to decide if I should just not bring the potatoes and tell dh to suck it up or if I should bring them and hope she doesn't get offended.

Yes a whole post about mashed potatoes- its definitely Thanksgiving.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:48 AM
4 moms liked this
Can you play dumb and say you thought you were supposed to bring the potatoes too?

If not keep them at the house and eat them when y'all get home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:50 AM
2 moms liked this
It's one meal. Be the bigger human.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:50 AM
I wish but we had a whole conversation (like 3 actually) about how bad she wanted to make potatoes. I'm thinking of just heating the tray when we get home and letting dh go to town but I want to bring them sooooo bad.

Quoting Roxygurl:

Can you play dumb and say you thought you were supposed to bring the potatoes too?

Maks1mommy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM
This.

Quoting Roxygurl:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DazeDelights
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Either leave the sweet potatoes at home and pretend you were confused or leave your mashed potatoes at home for your family
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Ya, I'm getting the general consensus is to not bring them. Dh is going to have to suck it up for one day. I've already promised him I'll go ten times bigger for Xmas if he sucks up this one day at my dads
ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I have to agree with anonymous' comment "It's one meal, be the bigger human."

You can make these awesome potatoes any time. Stop making your husband wait a year to eat them and tell him to be a gracious guest at this dinner.  He'll live.

hplesha
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:54 AM
Tell her you brought extras just in case she needed more
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Ya, I'm getting the general consensus is to not bring them. Dh is going to have to suck it up for one day. I've already promised him I'll go ten times bigger for Xmas if he sucks up this one day at my dads

Exactly.  You'll have the potatoes tomorrow.  :)

Sometimes when I'm alone, I like to Google myself.

If you like my style, follow my blog.  I am Random Ninja - Writer of Wrongs.
Click it.  Share it.  (Tell 'em it's just a cold sore.)

RLT2
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

What's more important, her feelings or potatoes? You said in another reply that you had 3 conversations about her wanting to make the potatoes. In the end, it's only one dinner. Your relationship is more important than a tray of mashed potatoes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)