Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ahh, my turkey looks blue! Help!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

I've never bought a turkey this small, maybe that had to do with this. Under the skin the meat looks blue/purple! Is that from the brine? Is this okay?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Bump!

epoh
by The Enzyme Helicase on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:34 AM
7 moms liked this
It's probably because its not breathing. Blue is an indication of oxygen deprivation.

Give it mouth to mouth, quickly!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Um doesn't sound normal. I've brined plenty of turkeys, big and small they've never turned blue or purple in color.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RoseBlossom
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:34 AM

pics or it didnt happen :p...in all seriousness i have no idea, i have never cooked a turkey before in my life. 

AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Pics!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:35 AM

can you upload a pic?

rosemagic01
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM

This made me giggle but knowing CM please don't actually do it. Turkey's are the worst for giving off horrible things uncooked! Wash your hands well after giving it a few chest compressions! 

Quoting epoh:

It's probably because its not breathing. Blue is an indication of oxygen deprivation.

Give it mouth to mouth, quickly!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:37 AM

This is from the employees or other customers throwing it around in the damn freezer case. It's bruised.

khrisna1978
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Pics please!

sugareemommee
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

What color should the skin be?

Skin color of raw turkey ranges from off-white to cream-colored. Under the skin, color can vary from pink to lavender-blue, depending on the amount of subcutaneous fat. When testing doneness of cooked turkey, rubbery pink meat and pink juices are a sign that the turkey needs more cooking time. If the turkey has reached an internal temperature of 180° F at the thickest part of the thigh, the juices have no pink color and the meat is tender but has a pink color, it should be safe to eat. The pink color in safely cooked turkey is due to the hemoglobin in its tissues, which can form a heat-stable color. This can occur with smoked, grilled or oven-cooked turkey. See the next question for more information.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN