Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The audacity!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I got on the site wishuponahero and looked for people that needed help in my city. I found a single mom that needed clothes for her kids. I contacted her and it turns out she's homeless. She has a 2 month old and a 6 year old and she lost her 6 month old last year due to a heart condition.
We go to my moms on Thanksgiving and everyone is welcome. Well, I asked her if she wanted to go. She said yes, that was a couple weeks ago.
She started texting me asking me if I was going to pick her up Wednesday. I kept telling her no, we're having it on Thanksgiving which is Thursday. She said ok, then she would ask again the next day.
Finally on Tuesday I said I'd pick her up if she wanted to help me cook. She said yes.
So yesterday I went and picked her up, we came back to my house and she fell asleep while nursing her son, I understand that.
When she woke up she didn't help. Dh got home and we were talking and he asked her if she wanted to stay here until she got on her feet again, she said she would like that.
Well around 8:45 last night (15 minutes before ds gets his bath) she asked us to drive her somewhere and drop her off.
Ok, so we did. Well she takes us to this one house where this guy owes her money because she used her fs to buy him food. He wasn't there so she has us drive her somewhere else. On the way to the other house she asks if we will babysit her son so she can go out drinking.
Abso-fucking-lutely not! No. Nope. Sorry boutcha bad luck, lady but NO!
So we drop her off and instantly she starts texting and calling me, asking if she left something in the car. Nope, sure didn't.
Just now she texts me and asks if she can stay with us.
WTF?! No! That offer was before we knew she was a raging alcoholic! We don't drink, at all, we lead a very safe life for our son, we try to set good examples for him.
Ugh!
Dh will get a laugh out of this one! I didn't text her back, I don't even know what to say!!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Replies (21-30):
Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:59 AM

That's nice that you wanted to help but very foolish to take in a total stranger.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Different stokes for different folks I guess. I am we'll aware of the "what could happen's" but I also believe that God will keep us safe for doing his work.

Quoting DaiTilley:

Regardless of how healthy YOUR lifestyle is, inviting someone in whom you don't know is potentially inviting in very unhealthy factors; if you invite a crackhead to live with you, you are putting your child in the position of living with a crackhead. You don't know this woman. She could be an alcoholic, a drug addict, a violent criminal...

We do a LOT of volunteer work, tithe 10% of our income and donate to charities on top of that, but I would never put my son in harm's way by bringing someone I don't know into my home.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do lead a safe, drug free, alcohol free, healthy food, clothing, shelter, loving life for him. I was taught to help the less fortunate. I want him to know the same.

Quoting DaiTilley:

You don't lead a very safe life for your son if you impulsively invite a homeless person whom you don't even know to live with you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:00 PM
If I knew a stable address for her, I'd call cps.

Quoting evelynolivesmom:

That's horrible! Maybe her family should take all of her kids

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Unfortunately, in this day and age you all are too trusting. Let this be an unfortunate and disheartening yet important lesson. Never offer your house up to anyone you do not know. You have a child and his safety needs to be first and foremost, as you very well know, and having random people stay in your house is not safe.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:01 PM
I know.

Quoting Anonymous:

Unfortunately, in this day and age you all are too trusting. Let this be an unfortunate and disheartening yet important lesson. Never offer your house up to anyone you do not know. You have a child and his safety needs to be first and foremost, as you very well know, and having random people stay in your house is not safe.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Just like he kept Elizabeth Smart safe?

Quoting Anonymous:

Different stokes for different folks I guess. I am we'll aware of the "what could happen's" but I also believe that God will keep us safe for doing his work.

Quoting DaiTilley:

Regardless of how healthy YOUR lifestyle is, inviting someone in whom you don't know is potentially inviting in very unhealthy factors; if you invite a crackhead to live with you, you are putting your child in the position of living with a crackhead. You don't know this woman. She could be an alcoholic, a drug addict, a violent criminal...

We do a LOT of volunteer work, tithe 10% of our income and donate to charities on top of that, but I would never put my son in harm's way by bringing someone I don't know into my home.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do lead a safe, drug free, alcohol free, healthy food, clothing, shelter, loving life for him. I was taught to help the less fortunate. I want him to know the same.

Quoting DaiTilley:

You don't lead a very safe life for your son if you impulsively invite a homeless person whom you don't even know to live with you.

hello_kitty25
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Those poor kids!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Yea, the 6 year old is in another state with her family but that poor 2 month old! :(

Quoting hello_kitty25:

Those poor kids!

motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:08 PM
I think you did a generous - and very dangerous- thing. It's not safe to invite a stranger into your house. I also think you are to quick to judge her. Being an alcoholic doesn't make her unworthy of help. I would find a way to help her that doesn't involve moving her in.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DaiTilley
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
As a Christian, I feel like I need to point out that your picking and choosing Christian values.

On the one hand, you're taking the instruction help the less fortunate to the extreme (want to help provide homes for the homeless while keeping your family safe? Do so with donations to facilities, and then you're not putting your child(ren) at risk), but then you pass judgement on her, and broadcast that judgement to the world.

I absolutely believe that God has His hands in our lives, especially when we do His work, but I'm reminded of the old joke:

A man is treading water in the ocean after his boat sinks. Another boat comes by, and a man reaches out to help him. The man in the water says "no thank you, God will save me." An hour later, another boat comes by and offers help. Again the man says "no thank you, God will save me." A third boat comes past and tosses out a life ring. "No thank you, God will save me." The man drowns, and when he stands before God, he asks Him "why didn't you save me?" God replies "I sent three boats, dummy!"

God's protection doesn't mean you're invincible. Sometimes it means he has sent you protections (safe home, power to make good decisions etc) and it's up to you to use those tools, which in this situation you arguably did not.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting DaiTilley:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting DaiTilley:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)