Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I the only one who has someone else cook Thanksgiving?? Going to pick it up now!

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:02 PM
  • 13 Replies

I don't cook Thanksgiving Dinner.  Instead, I order it from Whole Foods and pick it up on Thanksgiving day!  Its so awesome!  No mess, awesome amazing food, and its fairly inexpensive (the entire meal is around $150, had I bought everything and made it I would be spending a lot more).  I make a few sides and thats that!  

Are we the only family who does this??  

You know you want it

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Umm well my Mother made the turkey this year because I had to work and I made the sides and a couple of desserts and other relatives brought other sides and desserts.

You wouldnt spend $150 for a complete meal.  Crescents were on sale for 99 cents, cream cheese was on sale for 99 cents, frozen veggies were on sale for 92 cents, sweet potatoes were on sale for $2.99 for a 3 lb bag, etc.  I guess it really depends on how big the family is.  For us, part of the fun is the cooking.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:12 AM
I did once and it was great! My husband usually works thanksgiving though, so we haven't since.
sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Damn $150 is cheap? Uh.. No.

Perfect.Pixie
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:14 AM
Someone in the fam usually cooks. 150 can feed 6-8 people including dessert
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleJ1000
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:17 AM
Whoever hosts is usually in charge of the turkey and/or ham and everyone else is responsible for sides, salads and dessert. Works great for our family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marja2011
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:19 AM
*blink* I know meijers does it for about 50 but I usually have dh and I cook.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:20 AM

I actually love the cooking part of it.  Homemade stuffing, fresh asparagus with hollandaise, homemade mashed potatos, the turkey of course, cranberry sauce, sweet potatos with my homemade sauce, my homemade pies.  Green salad, all that stuff.

And yeah - it was fairly expensive.  Family of 4 this year, lots of leftovers (I never cook the day after a holiday at ALL).  Plus we had lots of snack stuff earlier - smoked salmon, bite sized wraps, deviled eggs, hot peppers, olives, cheese spread and crackers.

Oh, and mimosas early with the snack stuff, and wine with dinner.

pinkysmommy720
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:20 AM
I order a turkey breast and/or ham feom honey baked ham and make sides and desserts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Depends on my mood.Some years everything from the League or our club.Other years order part and  some years cook it all.

mmtosam06
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:54 AM

I went to Golden Corral with dd,my mom,my dad and grandfather today yeah it took close to an hour to get to the register to pay plus get to the table

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)