Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think it is sad

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I was at work today and we were talking about what we are getting our kids for Christamas and this one girls said that he kids are not getting anything, they know they will get their stuff when income taxes come in. I understand that most of us don't have a lot of money but i still think it is sad. Anyone else doing this?

To me it would make more sense instead of doing that, put that money back for Christmas. I have a friend every year she will get a loan from someone she knows to get Christmas and will pay it back with income taxes.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Replies (11-16):
CuriousArentYa
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:14 PM

We are lucky in that my husband always gets his longevity at the first of December so we always use it towards Christmas. If we didn't have that coming to us (they threaten every year to do away with longevity) we would just save the money throughout the year. It's the same day every year and we know it's coming. 

AphrexiaX
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:16 PM

That's nice in theory. But there are those occasions where that savings has to be drained to buy food and keep a roof over their head. Like in our case, DH lost his job in October, the savings is now being used to pay bills that my job doesn't cover. And we don't qualify for any help because, according to the 3 different charities I tried here, we made too much this year to get any help. So we are a family of 5 that the 3 kids will have nothing under the tree. A roof over their head and food in their bellies, and heat is more important than gifts.

Quoting anon1986East:

I understand money can be tight and sometimes unexpected financial situations arise but I don't understand people who do nothing to prepare for the holidays. My folks were young when they started having kids and hadn't yet started making much money in their careers, I still remember when money was scarce in our house growing up but my folks always made Christmas and birthdays special because they'd always put at least a few bucks a week in savings specifically for gift giving occasions. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:20 PM

your situation is different,  I understand you situation. we were in the same exact  situation last year, my husband got laid off late october. If it hadn't been for my mom my children would have had christmas last year. This year i choose to put money back to be safe.

Quoting AphrexiaX:

That's nice in theory. But there are those occasions where that savings has to be drained to buy food and keep a roof over their head. Like in our case, DH lost his job in October, the savings is now being used to pay bills that my job doesn't cover. And we don't qualify for any help because, according to the 3 different charities I tried here, we made too much this year to get any help. So we are a family of 5 that the 3 kids will have nothing under the tree. A roof over their head and food in their bellies, and heat is more important than gifts.

Quoting anon1986East:

I understand money can be tight and sometimes unexpected financial situations arise but I don't understand people who do nothing to prepare for the holidays. My folks were young when they started having kids and hadn't yet started making much money in their careers, I still remember when money was scarce in our house growing up but my folks always made Christmas and birthdays special because they'd always put at least a few bucks a week in savings specifically for gift giving occasions. 

anon1986East
by Kali on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Yes, that's why I said I understand that sometimes unexpected financial situations can arise. In those cases it's perfectly reasonable that the money should go to taking care of the necessities. However, as I said, what I don't understand is people who do nothing to prepare for the holidays especially when I've seen people like that then complain how they have no money for gifts...but of course they don't because they didn't bother to even try to save any money.

Quoting AphrexiaX:

Quoting anon1986East:

AphrexiaX
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM

The volunteer at the Salvation Army actually told me that I should have just bought them Christmas before the bills. I about fell over. Seriously, gifts before shelter? I was flabbergasted. The older two understand. And the only thing the youngest is upset for is that we aren't adopting an angel for each of our kids. Since she was born we have let each of them pick an angel off the tree to shop for. She is upset because she can't give Christmas to another child. She melts my heart sometimes.

Quoting anon1986East:

Yes, that's why I said I understand that sometimes unexpected financial situations can arise. In those cases it's perfectly reasonable that the money should go to taking care of the necessities. However, as I said, what I don't understand is people who do nothing to prepare for the holidays especially when I've seen people like that then complain how they have no money for gifts...but of course they don't because they didn't bother to even try to save any money.

Quoting AphrexiaX:

Quoting anon1986East:

demonica29
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Nope.

Quoting Anonymous:

WTF is your fucking problem. I guess for dumbasses i have to spell it out.  A LOAN TO GET CHRISTMAS GIFT, THAT IS WHAT THE FUCK IT MEAN .

this is not a drama post if you want to cause drama get the fuck out of my post.

Quoting demonica29:

You said your friend gets a loan so she can get Christmas. WTF does it mean to get christmas?  It is a date on the calendar.  Is that such a difficult question to understand?

Quoting Anonymous:

what!!!!

Quoting demonica29:

Get Christmas?  WTF does get Christmas mean?  Where I come from Christ,as comes every year on December 25, whether I care or not. How exactly does one get Christmas?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN