Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You suck as a parent if you sign parental consent for a minor to marry.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Minor, meaning 17 and under

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM
I have wonderful parents. They'd never do something so stupid.

I married as an adult at a more appropiate age and my marriage of 13 years is fantastic

Quoting melisawoosley:

I was 16 when they signed 17 when i got married and we've been married for nearly 8 years. Sorry your marriage sucks
singlemama0905
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:29 PM
I don't think this is a black and white situation. There are 1000 different reasons why someone would mary as a minor...some I agree with others I dont.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
redhead-bedhead
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Eh my mom would have signed off on it but we decided to wait. I have been with my husband since I was 15.5 years old.

We got married when I was 19 and we have a great marriage.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM

i was married at 15 the first time. no parental consent needed

3mom627

My mother had to sign for my sister who was 18. She got engaged in her senior year of high school at 17, graduated from high school, the waited a year and got married. No one in our family thought it would work, including myself, well the last laugh is on me. I did it the "right way", got married at 23, engaged at 22, the marriage lasted 2 1/2 years of misery. My sister is still married 29 years and three daughters later. I think if it's right, it's right. But, 16 is way too young, but years ago that was the age, but I still think it's too young.

3MOM627

have a nice day

hp2011
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM

even if the kid is pregnant ?

1BoyManyGirls
2 moms liked this
Disagree. Not all young marriages end. I was engaged at 16 and married at 18. Still with the same man 26 years later. In my state this is legal but my daughter got married at age 17...8 years later. Still married. Did you ever stop and think not everybody is stupid and wild as a teenager?
fairy_fan
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:33 PM

My best friend and her DH (which just happens to be my DH's best friend, they introduced us) got married when she was 15 years old.  She is 40 now and they are still like a couple of teenagers in love.  I have another friend that got married at the age of 17 to her DH.  24 years of marriage later, they're still going strong.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Did you stop and think about what he hell my post actuallly said?

I never said anything about the marriages failing, or even unsuccessful in any way.

I said that the parents are stupid for doing it.

Quoting 1BoyManyGirls:

Disagree. Not all young marriages end. I was engaged at 16 and married at 18. Still with the same man 26 years later. In my state this is legal but my daughter got married at age 17...8 years later. Still married. Did you ever stop and think not everybody is stupid and wild as a teenager?
1BoyManyGirls
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Not to mention my parents: both were 16 when they married, been married for 45 years. My sister got pregnant at 15 and married her baby's dad when she was 16. They've been married for 16 years. When you know, you know.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)