Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You suck as a parent if you sign parental consent for a minor to marry.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Minor, meaning 17 and under

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Replies (31-40):
MSmama_x3
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:34 PM

My mother signed for me to get married when I was 20 & have been married almost 6 years.
You have to be 21 in Mississippi to get married without consent. So, I guess I was a minor in that sense.

3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Quoting MrsRobinson06:

I agree. If its true love, they can wait two more years at the very least.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BEXi
by BEXi on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I honestly think it's depends on the situation and the minor we are dealing with.

1BoyManyGirls
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:34 PM
If the marriages last, apparently it wasn't a very stupid decision. Why not let a mature teen go out and be an adult if that's what's for them?

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you stop and think about what he hell my post actuallly said?

I never said anything about the marriages failing, or even unsuccessful in any way.

I said that the parents are stupid for doing it.

Quoting 1BoyManyGirls:

Disagree. Not all young marriages end. I was engaged at 16 and married at 18. Still with the same man 26 years later. In my state this is legal but my daughter got married at age 17...8 years later. Still married. Did you ever stop and think not everybody is stupid and wild as a teenager?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Because Mature teen is incapable of financial stability to provide for a family that's why. A 16 yr old isn't capable of having an income to support a household, let alone needs to focus on finishing his/her education withoutt the stress of maintains a household.

Its absolutely stupid as a parent IMO.

Disagree if you want, that's my opinion

Quoting 1BoyManyGirls:

If the marriages last, apparently it wasn't a very stupid decision. Why not let a mature teen go out and be an adult if that's what's for them?

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you stop and think about what he hell my post actuallly said?

I never said anything about the marriages failing, or even unsuccessful in any way.

I said that the parents are stupid for doing it.

Quoting 1BoyManyGirls:

Disagree. Not all young marriages end. I was engaged at 16 and married at 18. Still with the same man 26 years later. In my state this is legal but my daughter got married at age 17...8 years later. Still married. Did you ever stop and think not everybody is stupid and wild as a teenager?
smalltownmom03
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM
My aunt got married at 14 in 1971. She is still married to the same man.
melisawoosley
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Im sure it is anon.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have wonderful parents. They'd never do something so stupid.

I married as an adult at a more appropiate age and my marriage of 13 years is fantastic

Quoting melisawoosley:

I was 16 when they signed 17 when i got married and we've been married for nearly 8 years. Sorry your marriage sucks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wittyscreenname
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

My husband and I talked about this and the ONLY way we'd agree is if one of our girls was a senior in high school (they will both be 17 when they graduate) and they were dating a young man that joined the military. If we felt they were wanting to get married for the right reasons, we'd sign for them to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM
I don't conside 20 a minor.

I mean under 17

Quoting MSmama_x3:

My mother signed for me to get married when I was 20 & have been married almost 6 years.
You have to be 21 in Mississippi to get married without consent. So, I guess I was a minor in that sense.

3Aces2012.
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Agree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)